UKC

Lakes conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goose299 15 Nov 2013
I know the Lakes has had a dusting of snow, obviously there's going to be nothing in nick to climb yet
But I was just wondering what the snow up there was like? Poons and an axe advisable?
Any Lakes bods about?
 xplorer 15 Nov 2013
In reply to goose299:

No snow at all now.
OP goose299 15 Nov 2013
In reply to xplorer:
Cheers, Saves us carrying it all then.
 gaw 18 Nov 2013
In reply to goose299:
Snow and cold temperatures forecast for later this week. Here's some excellent advice on when conditions are likely to be good...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zGq-3TlswZs
 paulh.0776 19 Nov 2013
In reply to goose299:
Defintely no winter conditions in the Lakes last weekend, I think it'll be a few weeks yet before we're out with the tools again.

pics from Kentmere last weekend at

http://paulhorsmanphotographer.blogspot.co.uk

tipsy 19 Nov 2013
In reply to paulh.0776: On top of the langdale pikes today. A little icy in parts particularly down the side of Pavey Ark but nothing that demands a crampon yet. Light dusting of snow on the tops.
 Mark Eddy 19 Nov 2013
In reply to tipsy: Out scrambling in Langdale today. Amazing conditions for it. Photo of Bowfell at the link:
http://mark-mountainjourneys.blogspot.co.uk/

Clouding over now and due to be wet tomorrow but rest of week looking good.
In reply to tipsy:
Was the ground mushy underneath?

NMM
 BnB 21 Nov 2013
Anyone in the Lakes today, can you help? Since I'm unlikely to find any gullies or turf in nick, let alone any fat ice, I'm looking for the whitest walk available tomorrow. Thinking maybe Sharp Edge/Hallsfell round but only really worth it if there's some snow. Where is it lying, if anywhere?
 Wesley Orvis 21 Nov 2013
In reply to goose299:

Just very minor cosmetic covering above 800m, that's all folks!!!
 BnB 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Wesley Orvis:
> (In reply to goose299)
>
> Just very minor cosmetic covering above 800m, that's all folks!!!

Hi Wesley. Where are you looking at/from? Surely there must be some snow somewhere?!!
 Wesley Orvis 21 Nov 2013
In reply to goose299:

From Scout Scar on the edge of Kendal but can see the whole southern Lakes from the Old Man right across to Kentmere, nothing in the south and have it from a friend at Patterdale that its the same in the north and east, just a tiny splattering, hard to believe i know but i have been watching the snow and weather like a hawk, had a better covering two weeks ago in the north but this is all but gone too, personally i am thinking I might have to the long drive north this weekend if i really want snow.
 johang 21 Nov 2013
In reply to goose299: Bit of snow from approx 500/600 meters on Grizedale Pike. Skiddaw seems to have stripped back a bit over the day. Honister/Gable area was looking reasonably covered from walla crag yesterday but that may have changed by now ....
 Si Withington 21 Nov 2013

I can vouch for this. Been working in Langdale this morning. All very pretty, but 'cosmetic' dusting only I'm afraid.
 JonLongshanks 21 Nov 2013
In reply to goose299: Was up yesterday, only a sprinkling on the tops (no more than a few inches)- deeper in some of the gullies but nowhere near condition. Ground underneath not frozen yet. Was in boots all day and no need for crampons/axe yet.
 AdCo82 21 Nov 2013
In reply to BnB:

I'm looking at going up Bowfell / Scafell way tomorrow. I'll update after that if useful?
 Exile 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Northern Mountain Monkey:

Still mushy at the moment fella - we've had a fair amount of rain over the last few weeks.
In reply to Exile:
Thanks, all bodes well for when we eventually get a proper freeze. Bout time the Greenland high got it's act together.

NMM
 Exile 21 Nov 2013

Yep, shoot us a text when it kicks off and you guys are up / looking for a partner.
 BnB 21 Nov 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: My pal and I are doing the Mardale round tomorrow. It's a grand walk and sometimes holds more snow so we thought we'd take a look.
 AdCo82 21 Nov 2013
In reply to BnB:

Do let me know on conditions, I'd heard the fells nearer the a66 were holding what little snow did fall the most.

Any updates over the weekend on the Helvellyn range would be welcome!
paraffin 21 Nov 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

Been out for a wander on fells this evening near Thirlmere. Weird inversions going on and not much snow about.
 AdCo82 21 Nov 2013
In reply to paraffin:

Just confined to gullies high up then?
paraffin 22 Nov 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: Sparse cover- Scafell & Gable had best - but doubt it will last. From what I saw @ Glencoe last weekend now has a good base and building. Go North young man!
 BnB 22 Nov 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

The mountains were looking amazing today with snow and hoar frost down to 600m everywhere. Hardly (ice) climbable but the turf is firming nicely. Need it to stay like this for a week.
 Si Withington 22 Nov 2013
In reply to goose299:

A beautiful day to be on the hill. Had a wander over Helvellyn this afternoon - uploading a few pics to https://www.facebook.com/LakelandAscents
 Wesley Orvis 23 Nov 2013
In reply to goose299:

Did Red Pike from Black Beck via Mosedale today it's a fantastic grade 2 scramble with plenty of harder pitches, hardly any snow whatsoever turf semi frozen above 750m not much at all on Pillar or Gable either looks like Bowfell has the best coverage judging from the above post.
 Wesley Orvis 23 Nov 2013
In reply to goose299:

forgot to add looked like the cove below Red Pike summit looks fantastic for winter exploration when the conditions come in definitley heading back over when we get some proper snow.
forgot to add looked like the cove below Red Pike summit looks fantastic for winter exploration

Sssshh!
 LakesWinter 24 Nov 2013

Nah, I've seen it, dont rate its potential
In reply to goose299:

Give it a rest Guys!!

It is NOT winter, and there are no winter climbing conditions in the Lakes.

Please put your expensive toys away until everything is FULLY frozen. If you are so desperate to swing around on axes - find a dead tree or an old ladder.

We are all going to get in a pile of trouble if winter wannabees start climbing in poor conditions.

DC
 Wesley Orvis 25 Nov 2013
In reply to Dave Cumberland:

Both my routes on Saturday (Red Pike) and Sunday (Bowfell Links) were both done as summer scrambles, there is no conditions in the Lakes at the moment and that is plain for even the simplest of people to see, if anybody is winter climbing at the moment they want shooting, but noone above seemed to be saying any climbing was in, so please shut your moaning trap up it's really starting to grate on me and quite frankly getting a bit tiresome, i really feel it for your mrs.
 Wesley Orvis 25 Nov 2013
In reply to LakesWinter:
> (In reply to Wesley Orvis)
>
> Nah, I've seen it, dont rate its potential

Ah you want it for you and the few who already go there. I know your style...

So this isn't a Winter forum?
I think the local word is gob.
And you are full of it.
 Wesley Orvis 25 Nov 2013
In reply to goose299:

Yes a winter forum explaining winter conditions are NOT in yet to save people the travel. I may be full of gob but you are a bigot. Good day.
 Wesley Orvis 25 Nov 2013
In reply to goose299:

Talking about conditions not been in is good for your cause (and mine) as people will not do the big drive north and then climb anything when they get here, they have put all the expense and time in and think well i ain't coming for nothing, if they know conditions aren't in then they will wait until they are, so get a grip of yourself we are singing from the same hymn sheet.

JudithE 28 Nov 2013
In reply to siwithington:

Was there any icing on striding and Swirral?
 Wesley Orvis 28 Nov 2013
In reply to JudithE:

Can't see there been anything at the moment but all that could change tomorrow!!!!
 Si Withington 28 Nov 2013
In reply to goose299:

A week ago, I would have bet something non-turfy and mixed would be in at the right height and aspect, particularly based on the way things were developing on Helvellyn >> http://lakelandascents.co.uk/2013/11/winter-arrives-helvellyn/

On Monday though, a quick explore of Bowfell revealed little good news >> http://lakelandascents.co.uk/2013/11/lake-district-conditions-update-bowfel...

Over the last couple of days, temperatures have risen and even Helvellyn has been stripped back. Not completely, but things looked pretty black on Striding Edge yesterday.

Was out on the Langdale Pikes today and it was pretty warm on the tops. There was no sign of any wintery stuff on any of the higher surrounding peaks, but I suspect summit plateaus are white high up.

Will chuck the odd pic & report on here as I get out/up high, if you're interested >> https://www.facebook.com/LakelandAscents

Hope this helps,

Si
 robhowell 28 Nov 2013

Helvellyn in full summer condition today, no snow, ice or frost. Despite the two lads on top with axes. Sorry to disappoint!
 Si Withington 28 Nov 2013
In reply to robhowell:

Doesn't surprise me at all Rob, given temps over the last day or so.

Si

I wonder if the upper section of Gable rimed up in the cold NW last week.

NMM
 AdCo82 29 Nov 2013

Anyone have updates from today as to the condition on the higher fells like Great Gable, Scafell's and Helvellyn?

Snow was forecast with rain below 450m but it didn't rain today in Grasmere so so wondering if any snow fell?
 paulh.0776 01 Dec 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:
For the removal of all doubt, we climbed Pinnacle Ridge on nice clean dry rock on Sat and found one patch of snow.......about 6" long and 2" wide near the summit of St Sunday !!!

Pics of Nethermost Cove, and Striding Edge without snow at.........

http://paulhorsmanphotographer.blogspot.co.uk
 Wesley Orvis 01 Dec 2013
In reply to goose299:

Pike O Stickle yesterday with perfect summer rock climbing conditions, Gimmer looked dry as a bone, did a few of the grade 3 scrambles on the front of the pike, and was a beautiful day, if a little cold. Esk Pike today with wet rock, can confirm no snow or ice anywhere.

But all about to change very soon.
 AdCo82 01 Dec 2013

It's about to change? The forecast looks pretty average!
 Wesley Orvis 03 Dec 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:
> (In reply to Wesley Orvis)
>
> It's about to change? The forecast looks pretty average!

You must be looking at the wrong forecast then.

Si Withington 03 Dec 2013
In reply to goose299:

Yes, it does look like a short return to winter and we might well see some snow on the tops by this weekend. Looking at the longer term charts though, it suggests that things are going to warm up again pretty quickly, so I wouldn't expect anything to hang around for long.

PS. Wes, was out on the hill a friend of yours on Sunday. Small world.
 Wesley Orvis 03 Dec 2013
In reply to goose299:

Ah i was wondering who he was out with, let me guess Coniston, Kieran, navigation practice, very small world indeed. Looks like he had a great day out and won't be getting lost in the mist any more.
 Wesley Orvis 03 Dec 2013
In reply to Si Withington:
> (In reply to goose299)
>
> Yes, it does look like a short return to winter and we might well see some snow on the tops by this weekend. Looking at the longer term charts though, it suggests that things are going to warm up again pretty quickly, so I wouldn't expect anything to hang around for long.
>

I am an optimist and believe the milder spell will be short lived.

Haha, yes, that's the chap. All good - grand day on the hill.

> I am an optimist and believe the milder spell will be short lived.

Sounds like a fair approach to me

Got to be an optimist for UK winter climbing!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...