UKC

Ski peaks around 3500m

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Simon4 15 Nov 2013
So I need a new hit-list for this touring season. Last season a grand tour up La Grande Ruine and a tremendous day up Mont Velan but a failure on the Aletschhorn. So can anybody suggest worthwhile ski-peaks, probably in France, Italy or Switzerland for this season around 3000 - 3500m, also what their attractions are if possible? (I have a fair idea about the possible 4000m peaks, would be good to ski up the Gross and Hinter Fiescherhorn, but we shall see)
 jon 16 Nov 2013
In reply to Simon4:

3000 - 3500... pah! Mere bumps!
Mont Buet is a good one, though.
OP Simon4 17 Nov 2013
In reply to jon: Harsh!

Preparation for skiing the Gross unt Hinter Fiescherhorn.

Besides, Mont Velan was excellent this year. I will look into Mont Buet.
 jon 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Simon4:

The E face of Trugberg from the Mönchsjochhütte, descent via the SW face is a great acclimatisation day. Trouble is it lands you up down by Konkordia. I suppose you could just ski back down the way you went up and back to Mönchsjoch. It would give you a good view of the ascent for the Fiescherhorns - assuming you would be going up to the col between the two. What would you do after the Fiescherhorns, though? Would you ski down the same way and skin back up to MJ? I've done it once - steep initial descent, then more gentle but then a long hot flog back up to MJ. Much better is to ski directly down to the Finsteraarhornhütte, do something from there - Finsteraarhorn? - and then out to Münster or Reckingen or the Grimsel. The Gross Wannenhorn is also very good(as has already been stated in that other thread. Having skiied down it you could skin up to the Oberaarjochhütte so as to get an early start for your ski out the next day.
 Blinder 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Simon4: Wildstuble and Wildhorn are good little peaks. Train to Crans Montana then up o the hut (Wildstruble) then across to Wildstruble and back down to Kandersteg.
 rif 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Simon4:
Pigne d'Arolla from Dix hut to Vignettes is excellent, and you can do L'Eveque the next day and either descend to Arolla or continue via Bouquetins bivvy hut to Zermatt.
OP Simon4 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Jon, Rif, Blinder : Thanks for the suggestions, which I will check out.

Does anyone additionally have other ideas about peaks in France/Italy?
 Pinch'a'salt 20 Nov 2013
In reply to Simon4:

Lots to do round the head of the Maurienne valley, Petite Ciamarella, Albaron, Charbonnel, Grande Ciamarella, Francesetti, Mean Martin, Sana, Grande Aiguille Rousse all around the 3300 to 3600 bracket.

Huts are good, generally not too crowded, good choice of routes (steeper or not so steep) - possibility to do several tours from one hut (or the valley) or do a hut to hut tour...

Same further down the vally (eg Thabor/Cerces area)
 jon 22 Nov 2013
In reply to Simon4:

> Does anyone additionally have other ideas about peaks in France/Italy?

Yes. Just about everything in the Gran Paradiso/Graian alps area. All the valleys - Valgrisenche, Val di Rhemes, Valsavarenche, Valnontey - have great ski mountaineering/touring. Some great day tours > multi day tours.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...