UKC

Route suggestions grade I-III mid week

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Shaunmash 16 Nov 2013

I'm looking for suggestions for any winter routes that might be viable mid-week this week. Mountaineering routes (i.e ridges) would be great, suggestions for anywhere in the Highlands woud be appreciated.

Ta
Shaunmash 16 Nov 2013
In reply to Shaunmash:

Can anyone tell me how the Forcan Ridge is under powder? Is it still grade II or does it become a lot harder? And is it likely to be okay this early in the season?

Thanks.
 Jamie B 16 Nov 2013
In reply to Shaunmash:

It becomes a wade/clearing exercise, but not much harder.
 DaveHK 16 Nov 2013
In reply to Shaunmash:

I wouldn't be holding my breath for masses of powder. There are bypasses for the hard bits on the Forcan so it's up to you really.
 BnB 16 Nov 2013
In reply to Shaunmash: It's quite often completely bare in November, but under powder the slabs can be a little alarming as they are perfectly angled for the snow to slide off under your feet, which it will, be warned. In those conditions I wouldn't say it merited a winter grade, more a "step carefully" label.
Shaunmash 16 Nov 2013
In reply to BnB:

Thanks a lot for that. Does anyone think it would be worth a punt later next week? Or any suggestions of anything else that could be viable after the next snowfall?
 DaveHK 16 Nov 2013
In reply to Shaunmash:

Either wait till later in the winter or go for it and have a plan B.
 Joak 16 Nov 2013
In reply to BnB: Quite often completely bare in November but not always. Did it in November 2004 after a heavy dump of snow with the snowline all the way down to Shiel Bridge (just happened to be staying in the wee bunkhouse, right place right time!). The left hand descent from Sgurr nan Forcan was almost a chest deep wade. A smashin early season snowfest.
 Jamie B 16 Nov 2013
In reply to Shaunmash:

It's a ridge, it'll always give you a good day out. I'd stop stressing about the conditions and just get on it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...