UKC

The Boobs of Glencoul, walking the cleavage -blog post

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Burns 16 Nov 2013
It’s dark and I’m miles from anywhere in one of the Highland’s remotest glens, Glencoul, and the bothy in nowhere to be seen. It’s early November and winter is knocking at the door. It’s been raining and sleeting for the past couple of hours as I make my way down the valley and head to where I hope the bothy will be. I’m pretty wet, I had to wade across the last river. As the cold water buffeted against my legs and I searched the bank with my head torch for a place I could climb out, I reflect that crossing a river such as this, alone, in so remote a place is a wonderful way of focussing the mind.

Walking down the glen, water sloshing in my boots, I realise I have two options. Number one: I find the bothy, light the fire, and spend a comfortable and cosy night, warming my feet and congratulating myself on how clever I’ve been. Number two: fail to find the little shelter and spend a long, cold, wet night coming to terms with my own stupidity. The second option does not appeal and finding the bothy will become the sole aim in life over the next hour or so walking. Other considerations, such as earning enough to pay the mortgage, keeping my cholesterol down, writing my novel, are so far from my mind as to have, at least temporarily, ceased to exist. Instantaneously my life has become incredibly simple, the things that seemed important only a few hours ago no longer have any relevance. Mountains can do that, that is one of their charms, they have the power to distil the essence out of life. I have only one aim now which, put at its simplest, is to survive.

Read more here http://johndburns.wordpress.com/2013/11/16/the-boobs-of-glencoul/
Removed User 16 Nov 2013
In reply to John Burns:

As someone who walked into that bothy in April, leaving the car at 9.00pm and reaching the bothy at 3.45am your post strikes a certain resonance.

It's a great though, once you get there.
Removed User 16 Nov 2013
In reply to Removed User:

I've never been so glad to reach Glencoul. One Jan a few years back a pal and I reckoned it would be a straightforward walk-in along at almost sea level. We'd had a tough half day on Breabag in deep fresh snow. It was nearly dark when we set off from the car park on the north side of the bridge. With supplies for a two night stay plus fuel for the fire our packs groaned. To our surprise the track made numerous small ups and downs not shown on the 10m contours of our map. With around half a mile to you I was beat, I had to take the weight off my back and rest up for 10mins. It was one of those leave me here to die moments. When I recovered we made it to the well appointed bothy at a more respectable pace. With the fire light and food inside us our mood lifted and the next day we had a grand day on Beinn Leoid.
Great bothy and location, worth the effort.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...