UKC

Tech bindings on piste

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 frqnt 16 Nov 2013
Can anyone comment on the use of Dynafit TLT Vertical ST's fitted to a 105mm waist ski for use on lift serviced fields?

What problems can I typically expect? In which scenarios would a more robust tech binding better serve me?

I currently have said bindings on my approach ski's but I want to fit them to a piste set-up and get a lighter touring binding for my approach skis.
 DaveHK 16 Nov 2013
In reply to frqnt:

No doubt plenty of folks will be along shortly to say you will break your legs and the bindings.

They will work fine.
moffatross 16 Nov 2013
They work just fine and I use them on lift-served Alpine holiday weeks too despite their leaning me a bit further forward than I liked. I have recently fitted B&D toe shims to restore the ramp angle to an Alpine like one and tested out last Sunday and they now feel a lot better. The new Dynafit Beast is supposed to feel very Alpine like out of the box but it currently costs megabucks.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=103989

http://www.wildsnow.com/8185/b-d-toe-shim-tech-bindings-ramp/
craigloon 16 Nov 2013
In reply to frqnt:

I have skied a comparable setup for appx 30 days a season for the last 5 years without a problem. That includes a week of hardpacked moguls the size of VWs in Verbier one year.
 Morgan Woods 17 Nov 2013
In reply to frqnt: I happily ski with my ST's for a week or two in resorts. I'm not sure where the idea originates that:

- dynafit bindings are extremely fragile

- piste skiing is unforgivingly harsh on equipment

You might have problems mounting them yourselves so maybe go to a ski tech. Unless you need more than 10 DIN i would stick with what you have.
 Jonny2vests 17 Nov 2013
In reply to frqnt:

That's my exact setup, works great.
Haggis Trap 17 Nov 2013
Aye : Dyanfit ski just fine on piste when required. The biggest issue for use in resort is the lack of DIN rated release. You also cant step into them - which is a very minor irritation if you need to take skis on / off frequently (for gondolas etc).
 31770 17 Nov 2013
In reply to DaveHK:
> (In reply to frqnt)
>
> No doubt plenty of folks will be along shortly to say you will break your legs and the bindings.
>
> They will work fine.

I would say that if your not a 'good' skier, and still learning, be wary of slow falls in the 'sidecountry' or off piste. I broke my ankle on a pair where I'm sure the bindings were a factor (though a small one).

I've never worried about the bindings breaking though, and have skied them since.
 Jonny2vests 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Haggis Trap:
> Aye : Dyanfit ski just fine on piste when required. The biggest issue for use in resort is the lack of DIN rated release. You also cant step into them - which is a very minor irritation if you need to take skis on / off frequently (for gondolas etc).

Huh? They have DIN release, and you can step into them.
 galpinos 17 Nov 2013
In reply to frqnt:

I find tech bindings harsh on piste. For whatever reason, I feel every bump and I find them quite tiring for prolonged periods. I never sorted the ramp angle so that might be to blame.

They work fine, but if you're doing a lot of piste and there's another option, take it!
 Oceanic 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Jonny2vests:
>
> Huh? They have DIN release, and you can step into them.

They have an adjustable release value, it doesn't conform to the Deutsches Institut für Normung standards (Dynafit tried to get their bindings through the test and they failed).
 Jonny2vests 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Oceanic:

Oh, I see. Well mine come off when I fall over, that's really all I care about.
 random_watcher 18 Nov 2013
In reply to 31770:
> (In reply to Dave Kerr)
> [...]
> I broke my ankle on a pair where I'm sure the bindings were a factor (though a small one).

If you are breaking your ankle in plastic ski boots where the vast majority of injuries are passed up to your knee then the bindings probably weren't the problem
JonAA 18 Nov 2013
In reply to frqnt: I used the exact same set up on piste and for lift served off piste yesterday. Apart from the rattle you'd expect on icy patches I was really happy with the performance. This will probably be my everyday ski.
 inboard 18 Nov 2013
In reply to frqnt:
I use exactly the same bindings on piste and off and find them fine.
Little bit of extra hassle over fritschis if the tech inserts have iced up, but it's not a big problem - and if you're skiing with telemarkers, or other touring bindings with leashes, you're not any slower than them. big advantage - gives you extra practice at getting in & out of the dynafits which is useful when on a steep slope/ deep powder on a tour.
 Erik B 18 Nov 2013
In reply to frqnt: i used my new dynafits on the piste the other day, had them on lowest release setting (i dont like high din settings, too many close shaves hitting objects under the snow), skied reasonably hard on them and no sign of sloppyness or unwanted release. very impressed with them, but the skis are top notch as well which helps
OP frqnt 18 Nov 2013
Appreciate all the responses; I've had no problems myself but don't have much in the way of comparison as I've spent most my day's skiing on my Manaslu/Vertical ST combo.

The Plum Guide is looking quite appealing at the moment, current thinking is to leave the Vertical ST's on my Manaslu's and fit a pair of Plum Guide's to my recently acquired LaSportiva Hi5's.
Removed User 21 Nov 2013
In reply to frqnt:
If you don't want to fork out for another pair of bindings why don't you use teh quiver killer system - 1 set of bindings for 2 sets of skis. Its what I've just done, as I can only ever ski one pair of skis at a time.
Kanobi 21 Nov 2013
They're fine, I really don't know where the rumour comes from!

Would love soemeone to explain to me how skiing on piste can be harder on a binding than backcountry freeriding! I wouldn't want to do SuperG in them but the bindings would probably be the last of my issues then anyway!
 Gael Force 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Kanobi: Its harder as you are skiing a lot more, i.e. no long periods spent going up hill.
Kanobi 21 Nov 2013
Fair point, hadn't thought about it like that. But that's 'harder' in a wear sense rather then the forces that go through them...

Backcountry steeps definitely put more force through them than a black run!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...