UKC

Volvo V70 estate or Ford Mondeo estate?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tall Clare 17 Nov 2013
Hi all,

After all the other 'should we get this car or that car' threads, here's another one...

We're looking to buy a big estate car, our budget is around £10k, we've narrowed it down to the Mondeo estate or the V70 estate. We should be able to find a reasonable mileage version of either at around 09/10 plate for that budget. I know that in some respects they're the same car, but can anyone share any particular pros/cons of either?

Disclaimer: before the first inevitable comment, no, we don't want a Skoda Octavia or a Skoda Superb, thanks, and yes, it is an informed decision.
 Yanis Nayu 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: Have you driven both?
OP Tall Clare 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity:

That's the next step - just wanting to flag up any significant issues that will rule a car out before we go on a concerted hunt.
 Yanis Nayu 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: Sometimes you can set you heart on a type of car and then drive one and dislike it, either for practical or intangible reasons.

I find this sort of car research difficult, because you can always find known issues with a particular model of car, but it's much harder to contextualise how much risk you will be exposing yourself to.
> (In reply to Tall Clare) Sometimes you can set you heart on a type of car and then drive one and dislike it, either for practical or intangible reasons.

Yep, that's a given. We're looking at these because of their load-carrying capacity, so that's our starting point - they're the biggest/most practically shaped in their class, that we're aware of.

jimtitt 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to Submit to Gravity)
> [...]
>
> Yep, that's a given. We're looking at these because of their load-carrying capacity, so that's our starting point - they're the biggest/most practically shaped in their class, that we're aware of.

Ford Galaxy, same platform, same dimensions and bigger inside.
In reply to jimtitt:

We want the 'conventional estate' shape rather than a people carrier shape. Other than that, good call - I know people who have them, rate them.
 mwr72 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

Cheaper parts and servicing on the mondeo.
My old (X reg) mondeo estate was huge, surpassed only by a mercedes estate on load/luggage capacity.
In reply to mwr72:
> (In reply to Tall Clare)
>
> Cheaper parts and servicing on the mondeo.

That was my gut feeling too...

> My old (X reg) mondeo estate was huge, surpassed only by a mercedes estate on load/luggage capacity.

Some friends have just got an 07 plate Mondeo specifically because it was the biggest in its class.

As for some other cars out there, we've had a brief look at Mercedes but I don't think there are many out there of the requisite size for our budget, and BMW 5 series tend to be much higher mileage for that price. Audi A6s tend to have curved backs, which reduces load capacity when you want to put a dog cage in.

mwr72 17 Nov 2013
In reply to mwr72:

Ps. They are both lovely cars to drive but ime the Volvo just has the edge over the Mondeo in terms of comfort and drivability.
 mwr72 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

I'm sure you remember my Mondeo (which at the time doubled as a skip!) I managed to get a large dog cage in there, but I had to put it in flat then erect it.
 Rob 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: I've run Ford estates for years but bought a V70 earlier his year and love it. Comfort, performance and very well equipped. I'd go for the Volvo.
 Fraser 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

I'd go for the Volvo. I learnt to drive in an old 144 30+ years ago, and my dad's had Volvo estates ever since that one. He still has a T5 V70 and loves it (although I'm not sure why he got such a high performance model as he's a very sedate driver!) The only problem his have had are the electronic throttle on this latest one, and battery issues with former versions. Other than that, they've been rock solid and have lived up to the Volvo reputation for longevity and reliability. His have always been petrol engines, not sure if you're thinking petrol or diesel.

Incidentally, it's not a V70 estate, it's just a V70. They're only ever estates, never saloons - 'V' is apparently for 'versatility'. It's really just the estate version of the S80, (albeit slightly smaller) which is also a really nice car and has the most comfortable seats of any car I've been in.

Oliiver 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: I didn't think you were middle aged yet Clare.
 Choss 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

My last car was a V70 2.5.

Nice car, very good load Capacity.

But very very thirsty, if thats an Issue.

Mike Stretford 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

>
> Disclaimer: before the first inevitable comment, no, we don't want a Skoda Octavia or a Skoda Superb, thanks, and yes, it is an informed decision.

No need to say anything... we understand you're in the market for something more 'utilitarian'... the glamour and excitement of Skoda ownership ain't for everyone, and maybe you don't like the boot lip.

Isn't the Mondeo the undisputed champion of boot space? More than the V70?
 Dave Williams 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

> Audi A6s tend to have curved backs, which reduces load capacity when you want to put a dog cage in.

We have an A6 Avant and the boot is quite capacious, both wide and long but negating that is the fact that the boot floor is high as Audi have left room for a full-sized spare wheel (a great thing to have in this day and age!) as well as room underneath for a rear differential needed for the 4wd quattro versions. As you rightly say, you'd struggle to get a big dog cage in the boot. Despite being big, there's still a significant element of 'lifestyle' styling in the A6's design, rather than out-and-out practicality (perhaps unsurprisingly considering it's an Audi).

I've read that the Ford Mondeo estate has more room, seats up or down, than any other estate car currently on sale in the UK. A Ford would certainly be cheaper to maintain (and insure?) than a Volvo but it'd also depreciate more, so it's 6 of one and half dozen of the other ... Owning a Volvo over a Ford may give more satisfaction/ kudos/ image etc, but you'd definitely pay the extra for it. An Audi, Mercedes or BMW would depreciate less than a Volvo - hence the higher mileages or older cars at £10K - but if they aren't fit for your purpose then I agree, they can all be set aside.

As already advised, drive both and see which one suits your needs the best, which one's the nicest to drive, most comfortable to travel in etc. I strongly suspect that the Mondeo would be the best handling car and also has the wider choice of power outputs - as far as diesel engines are concerned at least. (In contrast, our principal needs were for a big diesel estate car with permanent 4wd and a proper spare wheel - so, perhaps unsurprisingly, we ended up with a quattro avant.)

Good luck with your search.

Dave
In reply to mwr72:
+1.
To TC: The Volvo is very comfortable for long distances and the old ones took a lot of abuse easily. That said it is heavy, and that has a effect on fuel consumption. An older V70 of a friend used to eat light bulbs! No wonder Volvo supplies a bulb replacement kit with its cars! There was alway one blowing whether indicators, side lights, headlights, and needing changed with regular monotony. The rear cluster ones were a particular pain to change. Once on a trip back home, come lighting up time one of the dip head light had blown, and later in the journey the other blew. Dual carriageway on sidelights in winter was no fun, and had to find nearest 24hr garage to get two new bulbs to continue. Volvo said back then it was power spikes and nothing could be done. Hopefully newer versions don't have that problem. Maybe worth a few enquiries? Great car overall though to drive and especially for long distances, but personally I did not like it for town type driving. Certainly worth a test drive.
Oh and repairing body work was not cheap. With that V70 some kind person decide to walk up, over the bonnet on to the roof with the expected results. Estimate for bonnet alone was more that the car was worth and insurance would not look at it. She carried on using it for several years after with dents in bonnet and roof!
andic 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

Mondeos are a bit shed like and utilitarian IMO but if it is a worhhorse you want, with maximum bootspace its the one you want.

The Volvo will be a nicer drive tho,
 Jim Hamilton 17 Nov 2013
In reply to andic:
>
> The Volvo will be a nicer drive tho,

What Car ? give the new V70 2/5 for Ride and Handling - "choppy ride, vague steering", but 5/5 for the new Mondeo.
 Dave 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

I've got a V70 D3 diesel and cannot fault it. Big, very comfortable, powerful and economical. I had an old style Honda Accord estate before which was about the same size as the Volvo and also a very nice car, though it was petrol and thirsty-ish.
 Fraser 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

Volvo have a comparison function on their site - Ford possibly do too:

http://www.volvocars.com/uk/explore/pages/compare-volvo-competition.aspx

Might be worth checking out.
In reply to Tall Clare: I have an old shape Mondeo and it will be a sad day when it finally dies. It's done just over 100k and shows no sign of any major issues. The boot is massive, drives beautifully and is efficent (50mpg without trying).
 Eagle River 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

I absolutely love my volvo but the services do sting a bit.
 Andrew Lodge 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: I have had the saloon / hatch versions of both and they are great cars, get a good example of either and you will be fine.

The Volvo always felt a bit more special and the front seats are fabulous but I think the Mondeo was better on fuel and cheaper to run as a long term prospect.

As has been said, get a drive in both and I'm sure you will soon work out which you prefer.
 Reach>Talent 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
My only experience of the V70 is a 'hooligan spec' ex traffic model which is a great drive for a big car but has a tendency to eat front tires and abs controller boards (the main driver drives very sedately so this surprises me). Apart from that they are a great car. If you can't fit something into a V70 then you should probably call Pickfords
 John_Hat 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: I've owned both a Mondeo Estate and a V70 so hopefully am qualified to comment.

Mondeo:

For: Cheap to run. Economical and parts are cheap.

Against: Reliability is an issue. Driving a pile of tacky plastic is an issue. Well it was for me. Vile interior (may depend on spec though).

V70:

For: More luxurious, better organised load space, "squarer" load area. Much more reliable. Feels like you are in something that might withstand an impact.

Against: When it goes wrong it tends to cost an arm and a leg - except the brakes which for some reason are dirt cheap. Also, because of the heavier build quality, tends to be thirsty.
In reply to Andrew Lodge:
>
>
> The Volvo always felt a bit more special and the front seats are fabulous but I think the Mondeo was better on fuel and cheaper to run as a long term prospect.

My stepdad had an XC70 for a while and the interior was *lovely* - felt a lot nicer than some BMWs I've been in, for instance, which did surprise me slightly.
>
> As has been said, get a drive in both and I'm sure you will soon work out which you prefer.

I'm thinking this is the only way to decide - sounds like there's pros and cons to both.
In reply to Reach>Talent:

Tyres are definitely a consideration - Mr TC's current car is a company car with low profile tyres so it's £250 a corner, which is more bearable when someone else is footing the bill... He's always had 'nice' company cars, I've always had my own (old) cars, so I'm busy emphasising parts and servicing costs whilst he's looking at lovely interiors and pleasant driving experiences...

Some really (surprisingly!) helpful responses here everyone - thank you very much
 John_Hat 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

> [...]
>
> I'm thinking this is the only way to decide - sounds like there's pros and cons to both.

Absolutely. The only way is to sit in them and drive them. The Mondeo was, for me, really badly laid out. Everything appeared either in the wrong place or counter-intuitive. Also despite exhaustive experimentation I couldn't get the seat comfortable. I got rid of it after 18 months.

The V70 on the other hand was pretty much a sofa with a great stereo from day 1, and around 100,000 miles later was still mopping up the miles and (most importantly) ensuring that I reached my destination in the same mental state as I set out.
 nniff 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

We've had several V70's over the years and they've all been good. The best was a diesel - quick, huge and did about 50mpg. Bills can be daft - air con failures are not cheap and replacement fluids push servicing bills up alarmingly at times.

However, in years of running VW/Ford Sharans/Galaxies, half a dozen or so Audi and Volvo estates, the winner was - a Honda diesel Accord. Huge, nice to drive, comfortable, frugal and quick.

Given a choice - I know which I'd go for now - a Honda.
 Yanis Nayu 17 Nov 2013
In reply to nniff: I nearly bought one of them when we bought our Mondeo, and wish I had. I've had a few Japanese cars and they've all been great.
 Fraser 18 Nov 2013

I'd also considered the old style Accord estate when I was last looking to get a replacement car. The boot space was bigger than the Passat I ended up getting, but I also felt the Honda's back end had quite an inelegant design and that really put me off. The newer ones however ok much better, but have smaller payload capacity as a result.
 Tyler 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

I'm pleased to see someone leading the backlash against the Octavia estate

I own a 57 plate Mondeo estate and I really can't fault it it's now done 114k miles and so fr I've not replaced anything other than tyres and a battery. On my previous Mondeo by this point I'd replaced springs, disks and pads (several times) and exhaust. The Volvo certainly has more cachet but if buying purely with the head it's almost impossible to justify anything more expensive (which the Volvo certainly is) which is the dilemma I'm in, I'd love a 'nicer' car but as it wouldn't materially bring me anything (I'm partial to a bit of comfort but the Mondeohas everything I need apart from DAB and parking sensors - the heated front window is a joy)
 Mike Stretford 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Tyler:
>
> The Volvo certainly has more cachet but if buying purely with the head it's almost impossible to justify anything more expensive (which the Volvo certainly is)

I don't understand why the V70 is being considered. It doesn't exel at anything apart from weight (it's boot space is modest for the class). If I had TC's needs I'd be looking at Mondeo vs Passat.
OP Tall Clare 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Papillon:

The main reason the Volvo is being considered is that Mr TC likes them and it's his money. I'm leaning towards the Mondeo, personally, but we'll be looking at both.

A lot of people on this thread have a lot of good things to say about the V70, it seems.
andic 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Jim Hamilton:

Load of tosh
 Offwidth 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: 09/10 Mondeo for £10k?? have you looked at the car supermarkets like Available car or Motorpoint (found a 2011 diesel with 35k on the clock under 10k)
In reply to Offwidth:

We haven't had a proper rummage yet - I just know it's ballpark right sort of price, right sort of age, but it's good to hear that concerted looking will turn up bargains like that!
 jkarran 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

My old man's V70 eat's suspension/hub components continually and on the silly wide tyres (possibly the root of the problem) it has it's ghastly to drive, all fidgety constant torque steer on anything but perfect tarmac. Visibility is poor too at least from my driving position. Probably a modern car problem more generally given they all have fat A pillars to contain the curtains.

I'd try them both then go for the one you prefer or can get the better example of.

jk
 JimboWizbo 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: I've just been through the exact same dilemma. Interestingly I ended up not going for Volvo or Ford and got a Hyundai i30 estate. 1.6 diesel gets 60MPG if you're economical and I can get boulder mats and packs in the boot easily, good leg room due to long wheel base and there's a full size spare under the boot. Worth a look.

The car was £8499 with ~ 25k on the clock, 59 plate, leather interior and some nice electronic features
In reply to jkarran:
>
> My old man's V70 eat's suspension/hub components continually and on the silly wide tyres (possibly the root of the problem) it has it's ghastly to drive, all fidgety constant torque steer on anything but perfect tarmac. Visibility is poor too at least from my driving position. Probably a modern car problem more generally given they all have fat A pillars to contain the curtains.

Interesting to hear. My dad and his wife have a V70 so I'll be asking them about their experience of it too. Crappy rear visibility seems to be something of a given in modern cars, which is annoying, but that's what mirrors and parking sensors are for, right? (My elderly focus estate doesn't have the massive pillar problem).
>
> I'd try them both then go for the one you prefer or can get the better example of.
>
Definitely - there's also a chance we might buy something that we sell six months later (due to changing circumstances) so some vague hope of it not depreciating too much in that time would be good...

In reply to JimboWizbo:

Good call. Part of our issue is that Mr TC has driven very nice German cars for the last fifteen years, so, although he denies it, shuffling his thinking on these things can be a bit of a challenge - for instance, I know the Mazda 6 is a stonking car, but he won't entertain the idea.

Our main carrying requirements are for four of us to be able to go on a camping holiday, with the dog, in one car - Mr TC's kids are enormous (his daughter is 5'5 at 11) so we need good rear legroom, and a boot sufficiently cavernous to fit a dog space with guard/cage in one side and room for luggage in the other side. We were seriously considering a VW Combi Transporter, but the work Mr TC is doing at the moment means that him turning up in a van or, worse, in my battered old car, wouldn't really work.
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to Papillon)

>
> A lot of people on this thread have a lot of good things to say about the V70, it seems.

You'll always get that, people like to justify major purchases. Of the objective reviews Honest John's reviews seem typical, and the V70 doesn't fair that well.
 jkarran 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

> Interesting to hear. My dad and his wife have a V70 so I'll be asking them about their experience of it too. Crappy rear visibility seems to be something of a given in modern cars, which is annoying, but that's what mirrors and parking sensors are for, right? (My elderly focus estate doesn't have the massive pillar problem).

It's the forward view I find oppressive but I sit a long way back in the car so A, B and rear view mirror all obscure my forward/peripheral vision. I think I have a funny seating position so maybe best not to give too much weight to my comments.

It's the fidgeting over cracked surfaces and road markings I really can't abide.

> Definitely - there's also a chance we might buy something that we sell six months later (due to changing circumstances) so some vague hope of it not depreciating too much in that time would be good...

Can't help there, I always run mine into the ground

Driving nice german cars is lovely. Feeding and maintaining them less so!
jk
In reply to Papillon:

There's always an outside chance that these other posters might actually rate their V70s...
In reply to Tall Clare: I'm sure they do.... but have they driven the other cars over the same time scale, so can form an objective opinion? They can't have done.... reviews from people who do this for a living are always going to more reliable than anecdotes.

I'm sensing some iciness... not sure why!
In reply to Papillon:
> (In reply to Tall Clare) I'm sure they do.... but have they driven the other cars over the same time scale, so can form an objective opinion? They can't have done.... reviews from people who do this for a living are always going to more reliable than anecdotes.

Fair enough. We *are* taking objective reviews into account, but posting on here is just one research avenue and it's about seeking anecdotal feedback rather than objective peer-reviewed studies.

>
> I'm sensing some iciness... not sure why!

This one isn't your fault at all so apologies if it's colouring my interaction with you, but there's always a risk with car threads on here that people start to get super earnest (most likely evangelising about Skoda sodding Octavias!) and refuse to consider the OP's parameters, preferring instead to present *their* decision about what someone else should spend what is (in my world at least) a very large lump of money on.

John_Hat 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Papillon:
> (In reply to Tall Clare) I'm sure they do.... but have they driven the other cars over the same time scale, so can form an objective opinion? They can't have done.... reviews from people who do this for a living are always going to more reliable than anecdotes.
>

Hmmn. OK, I'll bite. A reviewer is, by their nature, going to spend very little time in a car. If it is a long term test by a car mag then OK, that's fair enough, but most reviewers see the car for 24-48 hours at most.

I am rather surprised how you would rate comments by reviewers over people who have owned the cars. In my case I had a V70 for six years and a Mondeo for a year and a half. I think that is possibly enough to form an opinion.

Finally, car opinions are subjective. Some people (me) like luxury and comfort, some (like Lady Blue) like the ability to go around corners as if on rails. Of course opinions will differ. - and this will apply to reviewers too.

To me, TC is intelligent enough to be unlikely to regard UKC as the only source of wisdom and is likely to be looking at websites, reviews, etc at the same time. However given a handy source of information from those who have owned said cars, one would be daft not to use it.

In reply to John_Hat:

Exactly! Particularly the point about people having owned the car for a while - it gives a good sense of 'things that tend to go wrong'.
In reply to John_Hat:
> (In reply to Papillon)
> [...]
>
> Hmmn. OK, I'll bite. A reviewer is, by their nature, going to spend very little time in a car. If it is a long term test by a car mag then OK, that's fair enough, but most reviewers see the car for 24-48 hours at most.

Depends what review, a sight like honest john takes reliability and owner satisfaction into account.

> I am rather surprised how you would rate comments by reviewers over people who have owned the cars. In my case I had a V70 for six years and a Mondeo for a year and a half. I think that is possibly enough to form an opinion.
>

Very few people will have have comparable models (in terms of car age), for comparable times. It would mean swapping cars very frequently.

In reply to Papillon:

Still, it doesn't matter, because as I say this is just one source of information, alongside the likes of Honest John and other review sites.
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to Papillon)
> [...]
>
>
> This one isn't your fault at all so apologies if it's colouring my interaction with you, but there's always a risk with car threads on here that people start to get super earnest (most likely evangelising about Skoda sodding Octavias!) and refuse to consider the OP's parameters, preferring instead to present *their* decision about what someone else should spend what is (in my world at least) a very large lump of money on.

Cool, I was curious about the V70 becuase of your OP parameters, but you've cleared that one up.
 John_Hat 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

Incidentally, if you do go V70, consider the D5 version, ideally with the AWD. The higher power petrol FWD versions have a strong tendency to shred tyres. Too much power for one set of wheels.

I was in the Volvo dealership once and as usual was hunting for an intelligent salesperson to talk to. Met another guy on a similar quest and we got talking. He had a T5 and was getting only 2k-5k miles out of each set of his front tyres. Ouch.
In reply to John_Hat:

It's likely to be a 2l diesel engine model we look at - Mr TC's been looking at what's what, performance and spec-wise, whilst I'm more interested in the colour options
 Mark Eddy 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: I bought a V70 a few months ago. I had considered BMW / Mercs / Skoda / Ford /etc but the V70 seemed to fit the bill best as a load carrier. A four year old 2l diesel came up for sale at the local Volvo dealer and the price was right so I went for a look. Was very impressed and bought it the same day.

So far i'm very happy with it, extremely comfortable to be in and perfect for long journeys (my previous vehicle was a bmw so quite used to good quality too).
Economy has been between 50 - 60mpg with a mix of country lane / urban / motorway driving.

Recently I noticed a very small fault with the drivers seat facing, quite negligible but thought i'd call the garage and ask them to take a look (poss re-stitch a small area). When i arrived at the dealer they had a courtesy car waiting for me (i had not asked for one so this was a bonus) and when i returned they informed me the whole seat had received new facings under warranty. It definitely felt like they'd gone the extra mile to provide customer satisfaction.
My insurance premium is very reasonable too.
Tires seem a bit pricey though!

Mark
 SGD 18 Nov 2013
In reply to JimboWizbo: Funnily Enough I've been looking at changing my S60 for a V50/70 recently. The S60 is great but its boot is not as big as you think on a car of its size so we thought about looking at an estate car and as we really like volvos we naturally started looking at the V range. My g/f's mom brought a Hyundai i10 recently and I had a go in it and was suitably impressed so I had to poke about in the i40 tourer and it was fantastic! The load area reminded me of when I had a ride in a Audi A6 avant (see Dave Williams comments above, it happened to be his car I was in). Big and flat but not very tall with loads of compartmented cubby holes under the boot floor.

As much as I love Volvo's when the time comes I may well go for the Hyundai....
 Reach>Talent 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
Oh another V70 observation, there is a gremlin that lives in the rear seat mounts that is keen on practising the violin at random intervals. We tried drowning him in grease and muffling him but to no avail. Other Volvo owners have suggested this gremlin is pretty much standard kit
 MG 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to John_Hat)
>
> It's likely to be a 2l diesel engine model we look at - Mr TC's been looking at what's what, performance and spec-wise, whilst I'm more interested in the colour options

Will it have a name? (What happened to Lester?)

In reply to MG:

All Volvos are called 'Ovlov' aren't they? We might branch out to 'Sven' or 'Bjorn' though. Mr TC's first A4 avant was Gunther and this one is Matthias.

Lester went to live on a farm (really!) the day I met Mr TC. The cost of Lester's welding requirements was as much as he was worth. I cried - I'm not ashamed to admit it. It was like losing a pet. I now have the Ark Royal.

Really? That's useful to know - whilst my cars tend to rattle and squeak as a matter of course and I think nothing of it, Mr TC gets a bit mental about these things and would have to take the car apart.
 Fraser 18 Nov 2013
In reply to John_Hat:
>
> Incidentally, if you do go V70, consider the D5 version, ideally with the AWD. The higher power petrol FWD versions have a strong tendency to shred tyres. Too much power for one set of wheels.

That's a strange bit of advice and a poor reason to recommend an AWD model. Get AWD if you need it, otherwise you're chucking money down the pan in terms of fuel efficiency due to the increase in weight.

> He had a T5 and was getting only 2k-5k miles out of each set of his front tyres.

As I mentioned further up the thread, my dad has a T5 and apparently gets 10-12k miles per set. Im stating the blindingly obvious here, but how you drive a car greatly influences tyre longevity.

Reach>Talent 18 Nov 2013
In reply to John_Hat:
He had a T5 and was getting only 2k-5k miles out of each set of his front tyres. Ouch.

Did he have a sticker in the back saying something like "My other car is a scooby"? 2K from a set of tyres is absolute madness and sounds like he had something wrong with the steering, I'd say less than 8K from a set of fronts was a sign you were very lucky to still have a licence

Siward 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: for that budget you could buy a nice Subaru Forester STI.

But don't listen to my suggestion it's stupid. Of the two I'd say the Volvo is much nicer but you'll get a newer ford for the same money.
 John_Hat 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Fraser:
> (In reply to John_Hat)
> [...]
>
> That's a strange bit of advice and a poor reason to recommend an AWD model. Get AWD if you need it, otherwise you're chucking money down the pan in terms of fuel efficiency due to the increase in weight.
>

erm. It's a reason. There's lots of reasons to buy AWD. It's not the only reason to buy AWD, obviously. I'm kinda working on the basis that neither I nor the OP are daft. Also, the OP has already stated the version they are likely to get.

Jim Fraser 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

Cars are always a gamble whether new or second-hand. However, the term Fix Or Repair Daily has not become so popular in the motor trade for no reason.

My own experience of Volvo is that I had them most of the time from 1990 to 2007 apart from a BMW for a year and borrowing a XR4x4 (not a real Ford since not built in a normal Ford factory) for 10 months. The Volvos were great.

I have a second-hand F.O.R.D. for about 2 weeks in 2007 but it blew up on Drumossie hill on the way to the Cairngorms. I shall never forgive the Ford Motor Co for depriving me of what should have been a great day's winter climbing.

My boss always buys Volvos and has just taken delivery of another one. I notice that a lot of engineers buy BMW and Volvo.
In reply to Jim Fraser:

Ah, you may just have had some bad Ford experiences - I know of lots of good ones!
 TMM 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

All the anecdotes are interesting but what about some statistics?

2013 JD Power Survey
http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/full-results/1206903

The Volvo XC/V70 ranks 25
The Ford Mondeo ranks 73

They are both very capable cars built on the same platform. The Mondeo is the more capable load lugger the V70 is the nicer place to sit.

All depends on your priorities.
In reply to TMM:

As mentioned further up, we're looking at stats too.
 winhill 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to jkarran)
>
> Definitely - there's also a chance we might buy something that we sell six months later (due to changing circumstances) so some vague hope of it not depreciating too much in that time would be good...

If you buy from a dealer then the chances are you will be paying much more in the first place, rather than simple depreciation.

If you think you'll probably sell it in 6 months then a high miler would make a lot of sense, a bit of a gamble that it isn't going to die (diesels fairly safe) but the depreciation will be far less.
 TMM 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

Sorry for wasting your time my opinion and link. I didn't read the 68 other replies and supplemental information provided after the OP.
In reply to TMM:

Sorry! It would be good to be able to edit the OP to add these things in...
 Timmd 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to JimboWizbo)

>We were seriously considering a VW Combi Transporter, but the work Mr TC is doing at the moment means that him turning up in a van or, worse, in my battered old car, wouldn't really work.

I've nothing to add, other than it's funny how the car you turn up in can have an impact in certain jobs.
In reply to Timmd:

Yep - whether rightly or wrongly, it can make as much of an impression as what you're wearing.
 Blue Straggler 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to Timmd)
>
> Yep - whether rightly or wrongly, it can make as much of an impression as what you're wearing.

Indeed I have a friend whose personal "green" ethos meant that he liked running an efficient little banger but as a sales rep, he had a car allowance "forced" upon him (as his employer did not want him turning up at clients' premises in his old thing) and had to get a smart newish Passat diesel estate (still efficient obviously, but he was unhappy with "having" to get a new car)
 SuperstarDJ 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> [...]
>
> Indeed I have a friend whose personal "green" ethos meant that he liked running an efficient little banger but as a sales rep, he had a car allowance "forced" upon him (as his employer did not want him turning up at clients' premises in his old thing) and had to get a smart newish Passat diesel estate (still efficient obviously, but he was unhappy with "having" to get a new car)

Off topic I know but my old place's car allowance ethos was focussed around the CO2 emissions of your car rather than anything else. Above a certain level, you didn't get the allowance. This excluded anything too old (bye bye MR2) and pretty much anything petrol that was over 2 litres.

And you know from experience just how crazily efficient these new German jobs can be on long trips to and from the Alps!
In reply to Tall Clare:
>(most likely evangelising about Skoda sodding Octavias!)

Nowt wrong with them -- I'm on my second one in 10 years - had the last one for 9 of them -- however I did read the original post and decided that it's load carrying capacities were a little less than your are looking for - and furthermore you'd struggle to find a used Superb estate on your budget so no evangelising would have been appropriate.

Of your two preferences I'd go for the Volvo on style and build quality, however my sister has had Mondeos for years and swears by them.
In reply to Timmd:
> [...]
.... it's funny how the car you turn up in can have an impact in certain jobs.

Tell me about it -- for years the company I used to work for were renowned for supplying the lowest specced cars to their sales force. My first one was a base model 1.3 Morris Marina with vinyl seats when all of our competitors were running 1.6 litre Mk3 Cortinas with plush fabric seats!

winhill 18 Nov 2013
In reply to TMM:
>
> All the anecdotes are interesting but what about some statistics?
>
> 2013 JD Power Survey
> http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/full-results/1206903

That would be a plurality of anecdotes, rather than statistics, I guess counting all the anecdotes would a sort of statistic though but then so would the replies to the thread. Tricky stuff maffs.
 kathrync 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

We have a Mondeo (although it's a hatchback so I can't comment on the load carrying possibilities of the estate).

The thing is a workhorse. Nothing much goes wrong with it, and when it does it isn't expensive to fix. I would classify the boot as a four-dead-body-boot (boot volume classification courtesy of my old boss).

However, I hate the thing with a passion and can't wait until we get rid of it. For motoring up and down the M6, it is reasonably efficient and drives well, and if that were all I was doing it would be great.

However, on the highland roads it's a pain. It's inefficient when it isn't cruising at 60-70 in 5th (so, most of the time in the highlands), the acceleration is slow and laggy, even when you force it down to 3rd, so overtaking is almost never an option. On top of that, it corners somewhat like a whale. I should mention that we have the basic model, so possibly if you get a higher spec model you might get something that will drive better.

I have to say, that although I am generally quite a fan of Ford, I wouldn't get another one on the basis of having driven the one we have (unless I decided to become a sales rep or something that involves spending my days motorway cruising, in which case it would be great).
estivoautumnal 18 Nov 2013
In reply to kathrync:

Basic model Fords are not good. Avoid them if possible.
Tim Chappell 18 Nov 2013
In reply to kathrync:

How is the V70 for power, then?

I absolutely hate underpowered cars, for the very reason Kathryn mentions--they're no bloody good on highland roads where you need some zip to get past the Lochinver fish wagon.

I hate Fords too, just on the basis of the few I've driven as hire cars; the best that could be said for any of them was that they were boring.

So does a V70 have a decent zazz on it?

Off-topic slightly, but what I drive is a Renault Scenic, and the zip on that is terrific. I don't like Renault electrics, I don't like them at all, but you can't fault this Scenic for its voom factor.
In reply to Tall Clare:

However non base models are very different.

Both Ford and Volvo get 5 NCAP stars.

Performance and handling are better on the Ford. Much better.

The Ford has a bigger boot.

The Ford is cheaper.

On twisty Highland roads (despite the last post) the Ford handles really well. Much better than a V70.

sleavesley 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell: http://www.volvocars.com/uk/all-cars-my13/volvo-v70/details/pages/technical...

Depends which model you go for, but they go quite quickly for the d4 and d5 engine options.
More power than a scenic.
Just a lot more to buy.
In reply to Tall Clare:

And another thumbs up for not wanting a Skoda or Lada or any other such thing.
Tim Chappell 18 Nov 2013
In reply to estivoautumnal:
>

>
> On twisty Highland roads (despite the last post) the Ford handles really well. Much better than a V70.

I haven't driven a Ford on a twisty highland road--I didn't mean to make it sound like I have. I've driven Fords around in other contexts, and not liked them.

But you have done the zooming past the Lochinver fish-wagon bit? In a Ford? And you liked it? OK, interesting. Maybe they're better now than when I was hiring them--that was 8 or 9 years ago.
 Jim Hamilton 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell:

Performance4 out of 5 stars Our favourite engine is the 1.6 diesel. Most drivers will find it fast and flexible enough, so unless you want some real thrust in your life, there’s no point going for the strong, smooth 2.0-litre diesels (138bhp or 161bhp). Avoid the 197bhp 2.2 diesel, which feels disappointingly flat at very low revs. If you must have a petrol engine, go for the 1.6-litre Ecoboost turbo: it’s sweet and feels well suited to the car. The 2.0-litre Ecoboost will give many hot hatches a fright.
Ride & Handling5 out of 5 stars The Mondeo is all things to all people: it feels perfectly at ease on the motorway, while the immaculately controlled suspension means the ride is smooth regardless of the road surface or how many people are on board. To cap it all, the Mondeo is exceptionally agile for such a large car, and keen drivers will love its sharp handling, strong grip and responsive steering.
 mwr72 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

My last post on this thread will be about the load capacity of the Mondeo.

I filled the boot with 8 foot lengths of 3"x2" timber, almost to the ceiling. Yes it was overloaded(slapped wrist), but it still had plenty of power to set off from standing at the Chapel Hill traffic lights to enter Huddersfield ring road(to most posters this will mean absolutely nothing, but I'm sure TC knows where it is, so may give a good idea of the power of the Mondeo. As for the handling, the steering was a little light, but not enough to seriously alter the handling of the car.

Whatever car you decide on I'm sure it will give you years of good service.
In reply to Tim Chappell:

The comment was directed towards the post before your one. You must be faster at typing than me.

Post 07 Mondeos are very good indeed and a big improvement from 8 or 9 years ago. The 2.5 petri; will do 0-60 in around 7 seconds which is ok for a big car and plenty of oomph to get past a Lochinver fish lorry.
Oliiver 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: want to get yourself a car made in England
 Tom Valentine 18 Nov 2013

You sound like Jim Davidson.
Tim Chappell 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Once on the A9 I burned off a Porsche--in a Toyota Picnic. My, that was a good day

How, you ask? I knew the road better than he did. That was all.

Thanks.

You sound like Beinn Eighe Hill.
 Tom Valentine 19 Nov 2013

Thanks in return.
I'm sure you realise, as someone who knows a lot more about cars than the cockney comic, that to pair off Skoda with Lada in this post-Davidson/Starr era is about as sensible as matching Amarone with Lambrusco.
 Reach>Talent 19 Nov 2013
On twisty Highland roads (despite the last post) the Ford handles really well. Much better than a V70.

Really? I haven't driven the Mondeo estate but I was quite unimpressed with the saloon in comparison to the V70. The T5 handles really nicely for a big car although the huge low profile rubber isn't the greatest thing in the snow (This could also be connected to the feeling of safety and the massive brakes encouraging you to go faster than is really prudent).

estivoautumnal 19 Nov 2013

Sorry about the Lada thing. I meant Yugo.

OK then; for Lambrusco, read Lutomer.
 felt 19 Nov 2013

Go seafood -- Abalone for Amarone; Lamprey for Lambrusco.
 Dangerous Dave 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/ford/mondeo
"The Ford Mondeo is a fine car in most areas. The family hatch is still a class leader even as its replacement nears"

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/volvo/v70
"The Volvo V70 is spacious, but suffers from vague steering and old engines"

I would listen to those reviews over the UKC ones.
 Reach>Talent 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Dangerous Dave:
"The Volvo V70 is spacious, but suffers from vague steering and old engines"

Would those be the same old engines that they drop straight into the hot fords? I thought the T5 engine was shoehorned into the Focus STI?

Not tried Lambrusco. Do you recommend it?
 Erik B 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: my mate absolutely raves about the new focus estate, so i guess the mondeo will be good as well. Ford have upped their game
OP Tall Clare 19 Nov 2013

As I've mentioned more than once, only a fool would make a large purchase based on UKC feedback alone. The OP was just for a bit of anecdotal feedback to add to more solid research.

Not if you've tasted Amarone. And if you haven't, I really envy you for the treat you have in store.
 Mike Stretford 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to Dangerous Dave)
>
> As I've mentioned more than once, only a fool would make a large purchase based on UKC feedback alone.

Hands up, I bought an Ocatvia

Just joking it's great, but I have had pissed people think I'm a taxi driver!
 Dangerous Dave 19 Nov 2013
> "The Volvo V70 is spacious, but suffers from vague steering and old engines"
>
> Would those be the same old engines that they drop straight into the hot fords? I thought the T5 engine was shoehorned into the Focus STI?

No idea but I was quoting from Autocar. Maybe Ford refines them? For example the ST and the RS have the same basic 2.5 litre engine.

My point was that what autocar says is far more likely to be correct than some biased view of a random UKC'r!

another_mark 19 Nov 2013

> My point was that what autocar says is far more likely to be correct than some biased view of a random UKC'r!

You think?

I've tried Amarone but not the other one you like. I get most of my wine from a small chateaux about a half hour from Mazamet. Buying in bulk saves a bit of money and the owner always throws in a free magnum.
 Fraser 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
>
> As I've mentioned more than once, only a fool would make a large purchase based on UKC feedback alone.

Agreed. It's always worth simul-posting on UKB.

Thought you were a Porsche driver and would be interested to know how much bulk wine you can fit into a Boxster or 911....

Not much in a Boxster. After luggage, about 1 case of 6 bottles I would imagine. Never tried it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...