UKC

fish tank panic!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Choss 17 Nov 2013
Any Other fish Lovers on here?

Briefly, juwel aquarium.
120 Litres.
Long Established.
Has Separate aeration.

Pump motor gave up the ghost last night sometime. So no filtration and temperature Dropped to 22.

Changed fuse in motor, definitely motor kaput.

I have left all filter media floating in tank for Bacteria.

I cant order a new motor Until Monday, wont arrive til Tuesday.

I have no Back up emergency filter.

will my fishes die?

Anything else i can do?
richyfenn 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss:

Is it tropical or cold water? The temp drop would be fine for cold, if it needs to be heated (external inline heater?) then fill drinks bottles with warm/hot water and put them in the the tank to keep it warm.

A well established tank with have bacteria all over the place and not just in the filter, having the filter media outside should keep things ok. Don't feed the fish for a few days so they don't produce any more waste (they'll be fine without food for a bit). Keep an eye on the chemicals (have a test kit?) and be prepared to do water changes if the Ammonia or Nitrite starts to spike.

Good luck
OP Choss 17 Nov 2013
In reply to richyfenn:

Cheers.

Its tropical.

Its my own fault for not Having a Backup filter to Hand.

Got plastic bottles to Hand. If temp gets any Lower, will fill with hot water.

Given big bacterial boost as well.

Yanis Nayu 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss: Do some water changes as well
 ianstevens 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss: Just keep on top of the water changes and you should be fine - like the others have said, limit feeding and that should help as well.

The separate aeration should do an adequate job at keeping the water moving about to make sure you don't get oxygen layering.

Just to echo everyone else - do loads of tests. A couple a day (am and pm) and appropriate water changes, and you should be all good.
In reply to Choss:
Depends on species but for most all should be ok and as others have said, reduce or stop feeding (if adults they will survive at least several days up to two weeks with no adverse effects and heat water if needed by water changes, bottles. I would remove all filter media to minimise pollution cause by the filters being in the tank. I would cover the tank with a blanket to help retain heat and keep it dark - remember to switch off lights to keep fish calmer and slower. If you change water do it to minimise disturbance of bottom media which could stir up pollutants.
If young fish there is a higher risk of losing one or more. Keep an eye on them and remove any losses ASAP. If you think air is needed this can be achieved by water changes or gentle surface water movement or even blowing into the water!
Adult fish are surprising hardy if they started off healthy in the first place.
OP Choss 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Yep all fish couple years old at Least.

Will Take filter Media out of water then.

Is it Advisable to use water From the hot tap for partial water Changes. Normally i just use cold tap left to warm to room temperature?
 Dan_S 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss:

I wouldn't take out the filters from the tank, they're covered in beneficial bacteria that are maintaining the nitrogen cycle in your tank, which need to stay wet. They won't die off in 48 hrs, so won't pollute your tank.
richyfenn 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss:
> (In reply to Climbing Pieman)
>
> Is it Advisable to use water From the hot tap for partial water Changes. Normally i just use cold tap left to warm to room temperature?

Generally not advisable, but people do get away with it if it is from a combi boiler (not tank) and you use good water conditioner. I boil water in the kettle and add it to cold water in the bucket to raise the temp. You shouldn't add water that is much warmer than the current tank temp, normal advice is no more than 1 degree plus or minus, I have no experience of trying larger temp differences.
In reply to Choss:
You can use hot tap but do not have a large difference in temp. It is sudden changes of anything that kill fish (although there is an argument within tropical fish keepers with temp of water changes! Some say a slight chill effect does the fish good. Personally I do not agree and anyway you need to keep temp up). Personally I would restrict temp to within five degrees of what they currently at, but slowly change - take your time! (my normal change is new water @ 30 - 33c into tank at 28c).
Remember not too much water change as that in itself may lead to death as too many chemical changes going on too quickly. Personally for just two days I would not change water unless chemical imbalance too much outwith parameters. Use other methods to heat - hot(ter) water bottle place in tank, etc.
OP Choss 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss:

tank Normally runs at a Steady 26 Degrees. Currently down to 22.

will order new pump motor first thing tomorrow, should Arrive Tuesday.

Hopefully can minimise any losses in the Meantime.

Think my rummy nosed tetras will be first to Flag up any Problems arising?

As well as the tetras there is
Cherry barbs (Tough as old boots)
Angelfish
Sturbais corys
Kuhli loaches (pretty hardy)
In reply to Choss:
Will it not be the angelfish that will suffer first? The tetras in my experience will be ok.
In reply to Dan_S:
Yes, I should have been more specific in that I was talking about the outer filters that just gather up the debris that easily allow it to return to the tank without the pump effect holding it in place, and not necessarily the inner filters that contain the beneficial bacteria. He needs to keep the those bacteria alive and they will need to be kept wet. For two days, I do not see a big problem not matter what he does (provided excessive feeding is not done) unless the whole tank was heavily polluted when the pump when off. The OP should relax, and only intervene as and when necessary!!
OP Choss 17 Nov 2013

It could be.

Have to Invest in a Back up pump for future. Meant to for years, just never got Round to it.
In reply to Choss:
>
> Have to Invest in a Back up pump for future. Meant to for years, just never got Round to it.

My current set up has been running for nearly 15 yrs and I've never bothered with a spare. I've had several pump problems over the years, but it's usually down to a build up of slim around the blade spindle that stops them turning, which a quick dismantle and clean rectifies, or at least keeps it limiping along till I replace. Also I maintain separates c/w all in ones. That is heating independent, filter independent, etc. it's easier to keep tank going with minimal effects when any one part fails, and gives time to replace faulty part.
 wbo 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss: I.m.o. the temp drop , while not ideal is not a calamity. If it's a standard juwel it will be in the black filter box - move it into the display and I think the temp will go back up.

The aeration is a goodd idea. Given you have plants, decor, substrate et al there will be plenty of bacteria, but I'd go easy on feeding.
OP Choss 17 Nov 2013

Impeller and Spindle Spotless no clogging up.

Checked fuse.

Motor is a Sealed unit, have noticed gap has opened up in the sealant gunk, so Assuming water got in and killed the electrics.
OP Choss 17 Nov 2013
In reply to wbo:

Yes tis the juwel Built in black box.

Good idea, ill move Heater into the main tank for Time being.

Cheers
Jim C 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss:
>
> It could be.
>
> Have to Invest in a Back up pump for future. Meant to for years, just never got Round to it.

A cheap and cheerful backup would have saved you the grief perhaps.
( someone did however, mention that your main pump might just need maintaining
(desliming)

I just recently put my old tank kit to a local charity shop , including pump,otherwise I would gave been happy to post it to you.

nniff 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss:

I'd just worry about the temperature - if you can get the heater into the tank (assuming form your OP that the heater's not in the tank) they should be fine and the water shouldn't go skanky too fast. Just leave it - test it tomorrow and if it's going bad, then a one third water change would be a good idea. If the water's not moving through the filter then the bacteria will be fine, although quite frankly our 280 litre tank survives a 50% water change from the garden hose with no worries. We also haven't had to touch the water for about 4 months. I partially degunge the filter with cold tap water about once a month and it's fine.

Remote Fluval filter for us, with a heater in the tank itself.
OP Choss 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss:

Quick update fishfans.

Moving Heater into main tank and using plastic bottle of hot water has pushed temp Back up to a good Steady 24.

No fishes showing any signs of stress.

Fingers Crossed til new pump Head Arrives.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...