UKC

Best value 80m rope?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Eann 17 Nov 2013
I'm looking to buy an 80m rope, the best deal I've found on the web so far is:

Beal Edlinger 10.2mm - 80m for £116 (free delivery)

Does anyone know of a better deal? Either cheaper for the same thickness rope, or similar price for a skinnier rope?

Cheers
E
 Fraser 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Eann:

If it were me, I'd first decide what sort of rope I wanted, then search for the best deal on that.

It seems like the tail's wagging the dog here. Whatever you go for though, 80m of 10.2 rope will be a bit of a load to lug around!
 UKB Shark 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Eann:

You need to distinguish between price and value.

Although pricey The Mammut Revelation is excellent value as it lasts really well and is skinny. Keep chopping the ends off and you well have a usable rope for many years.
OP Eann 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Fraser:

For the sake of clarification, I'm interested in what the best deal is on ropes which are 80 metres long and 10.2mm or less.

In terms of weight, ideally skinnier is better for my needs, but I would rather not blow £250 on super skinny 80m without consideration of the other options first...
OP Eann 17 Nov 2013
In reply to shark:
> (In reply to Eann)
>
> You need to distinguish between price and value.
>

Price and value are both of interest. Whether an £250 80m rope is really better then buying a £125 80m rope and being able to replace it with a brand new rope after a few years, all depends on what the rope is being used for. I would certainly like to see what's out there before deciding.

Nick Russell 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Eann:

If you pre-order from Dick you get an 80m 9.8, superdry for £130
http://www.dicksclimbing.com/collections/rope/products/dick-s-climbing-9-8m...
OP Eann 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Nick Russell: very good price rope. I don't actually need a dry treated rope, but it's a good deal regardless of this.
 MikeStuart 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Eann: Are you wanting such a thick rope because you'll be redpointing/dogging lots of routes?
 GridNorth 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Eann: Are there enough 40 metre routes around to make an 80 metre rope worthwhile. I only know of a few on Kalymnos and certainly not enough to persuade me to pay for and carry all the extra. Even some of the 40 metre routes can be done with a 70 metre rope and a bit of cunning.
 AJM 17 Nov 2013
In reply to GridNorth:

There's plenty of them about.

The other thing of course is that since most ropes wear at the ends fastest you can chop an 80m down several times and still have a 70m left at the end, whereas if you try that with a 70m you'll be needing to buy a new one sooner for your trips abroad.
 Ian Broome 17 Nov 2013
In reply to GridNorth:

Quite a few routes in Spain and France are 35m+, as ropes are available longer people bolt longer routes, so 70 and 80 become more normal.

The benefit of an 80m is also it can be chopped at the end a few times and you still have a 70m
 Steve nevers 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Eann: Go outdoors are doing an edelrid 80m rope for £60 until the middle/end of next week. Think its a basic untreated rope, only scanned the catalogue.
 efrance24234 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Steve nevers: are you sure? Do u have a link?
 icnoble 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Eann: An 80m mamut serenity here for a good price
http://www.dicksclimbing.com/products/mammut-serenity-8-9mm

In reply to efrance24234:
> (In reply to Steve nevers) are you sure? Do u have a link?

I think the quoted £60 will be for a 50m rope.
 Fraser 18 Nov 2013
In reply to icnoble:

I see they also do an 80m Tendon Master 9.7mm for £153, which seems good value for what's supposed to be a decent rope.
 Nick Russell 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Fraser:
> (In reply to icnoble)
>
> I see they also do an 80m Tendon Master 9.7mm for £153, which seems good value for what's supposed to be a decent rope.

Unless there's a typo on the site the 80m Tendon Master 9.2 is also £153. I have a 70m one of these and it's a good rope.
 HeMa 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Eann:

Edelrid Swift 8.9 triple-rated rope from T-P for 155 Eur.

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/en/edelridswift89mmx80micemint-p-145543.ht...

Yuor welcome
 cb_6 18 Nov 2013
In reply to HeMa:
> (In reply to Eann)
>
> Edelrid Swift 8.9 triple-rated rope from T-P for 155 Eur.

Unfortunately, it does specify that this rope is 'not suitable for working routes or top roping'. A more experienced climber may well want a specific rope for climbing easier ground or doing onsight attempts (especially one so light!) but for a beginner's first rope they really need it to do everything since it will likely be the only one they have for the time being.
 HeMa 18 Nov 2013
In reply to cb_6:

It's a generic warning.

My to-go workhorse rope has been Joker (9.1mm and pretty much identical to Swift) and it's fine for toproping or redpointing.

Sure, it'll wear out a tad quicker but honestly the rated single falls on these skinnies isn't really that much smaller amount than with ~10mm ropes.
 HeMa 18 Nov 2013
In reply to HeMa:

Oh,

If something thicker/heavier is on the agenda:
http://www.bergfreunde.de/mammut-zopa-97-bergfreunde-edition/?outlet=1
80m for 116 Eur.
 Steve nevers 22 Nov 2013
In reply to efrance24234:

No link sorry, saw it in their little catalog thing. price quoted in there states £60 for either a 50/60 or 80. Edelrid 'Entrance Line', sounds like a bog standard untreated 10mm.

Offer valid from 19th-26th November.
 Steve nevers 22 Nov 2013
In reply to Steve nevers:

oh 60/70 or 80 sorry.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...