UKC

best grade I / II scrambles....Cuillin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AdCo82 17 Nov 2013
Please advise......ta
 kwoods 17 Nov 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: Can't really pin a grade to the Cuillin as it's all just varying degress of rocky and vertical.

I guess your best bets at that grade will be Sgurr nan Eag from Coire a' Ghrunnda, Sgurr na Banachdich S Ridge, and Bruach na Frithe. Sgurr Dearg West Ridge is a possibility, and you can link that into Banachdich.
 kwoods 17 Nov 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: The Great Stone Shoot could probably be a Grade I including the final easy scramble up to Alasdair's summit. But brutal.
OP AdCo82 17 Nov 2013
In reply to kwoods:

Brutal as in on the calves?
 kwoods 17 Nov 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: In a 'two steps up, 1 and a half steps back down' way. Scree from the coire floor to the top. There's a couple rock steps to scramble up on the way, so you can get off the loose stuff. They don't last though.
 JamesRoddie 17 Nov 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

If you are interested in something harder, then Tuppenny Buttress in Coire na Creiche is one of the best Grade 3 scrambles I've done in Scotland.
 steelbru 17 Nov 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:
Don't have my scramble book to hand - the one to the immediate left of Waterpipe Gully, is that II or III ? I think it's II. Seem to remember enjoying it anyway
 JamesRoddie 17 Nov 2013
In reply to steelbru:

The Spur of Sgurr an Feadhain, a good grade I.
 steelbru 17 Nov 2013
In reply to JamesRoddie:
Oh, just a I ? Must have been having a bad day
 JamesRoddie 17 Nov 2013
In reply to steelbru:

To be fair I think it is graded 2 actually!
 BnB 17 Nov 2013
In reply to JamesRoddie: The Spur is graded 2 but it's barely more than a walk, albeit an excellent outing.

In the lower grades, I'd recommend Am Bhasteir from Sligachan via the bypass route on the Lota Coire side, see Skye Scrambles for details. Or Banachdich via Sgurr nan Gobhar then descend the thrilling knife-edge south ridge and into the coire under Window Buttress. Or Sgurr Dubh an da Bheinn from Coire Ghrunnda. Or how about an exploration of Mhic Choinich that takes in Collie's/Hart's ledge and the summit arete

But all the best routes are typically grade 3, traverse of Sgurr na Gilean, Coire Ghreadaidh round, Alasdair via bad step chimney.
 Nathan Adam 17 Nov 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: Assuming you are talking of winter routes by saying I/II instead of 1/2 then i'd suggest: NE and NW Ridges of Sgurr a Bhasteir, great routes and intros to the Cuillin with fine views into Coire a Basteir. The NW Ridge of Bruach na Frithe gives great views and most difficulties can be turned on the right hand side. The West Ridge of Sgurr Dearg up to the Inn Pinn gives some of the finest views of the main ridge and then traversing the ridge to Sgurr na Bannachdich shouldn't be much more than II but a much more serious outing than either Bhasteir or Frithe (omitting the Pinn of course). That said, all those routes are equally good in summer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...