UKC

Lake District scrambles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AdCo82 17 Nov 2013
Recently took a mate new to scrambling out on both Sharp Edge, Striding Edge and Swirral Edge up in the Lake District and also Grib Goch in sunny Wales.

What would be a good step up to do similar ridges in the Lake District that are either higher level grade I or easy grade II?

Airy exposed ridges that include a summit at some point along the route would be good abd that arw good to do in dry, wet and winter (when it arrives).

Cheers,

AT

AT
 rubisco 17 Nov 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

Climbers' traverse and Sphinx Ridge on the Napes is my recommendation. Threading the Needle would be an optional way to spice things up a little.
In reply to rubisco: Good call. Here's a UKH route card for it: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=98
 Wesley Orvis 18 Nov 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

Sour milk Gill and Rabbit's Trod onto summit of Grey Crag from Seathwaite is an easy grade 2 that leads to a summit, or Cam Crag ridge from Langstrath and then over to Intake Ridge in Combe Gill with a walk over to Glaramara to finish off is a great day out at 2.

But as suugested above Sphinx ridge and threading the needle is probably the best day out in the lakes at grade 2.
 rif 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Wesley Orvis:
Intake Ridge a 2??????? (and OP asked for "easy 2". Didn't seem that way to me
In reply to An Triubhas: pinnacle ridge, St Sunday Crag
 The Lemming 18 Nov 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

This will probably be the best £5 you will ever spend

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scrambles-District-Cicerone-British-Mountains/dp/09...
 The Lemming 18 Nov 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

Jack's Rake in the Langdales?
OP AdCo82 18 Nov 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

I have the books....I just wanted opinions
 jonoh 19 Nov 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Second that
 jonoh 19 Nov 2013
In reply to The Lemming: And second that too
 LakesWinter 19 Nov 2013
In reply to rif: Intake Ridge is 3, vegetated and not that easy, especially when wet and greasy, although I suppose you can bypass most sections if you want, but it would be rubbish then.
 Wesley Orvis 19 Nov 2013
In reply to LakesWinter:

Not if you miss the glaciated slab and the top pitch out, which in my opinion still makes a good scramble.
 Wesley Orvis 19 Nov 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

Intake Ridge is easier than Pinnacle Ridge imo. (depending if you take on any of the routes on the Glaciated Slab but then they make the route a diff, but the scramble just takes in the top of the slab with exposure but easy moves at around grade 2)
 shantaram 19 Nov 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: I live in the Lake District and have done all of the scrambles mentioned so far in the thread. Don't want to be too negative but the 3 ridges you've mentioned are the best true ridge scrambles in the Lake District. Scrambles like Cam Crag ridge and Intake ridge are good, but are ridges in the very loosest of terms linking areas of rock on grassy spurs. Easily escapable, and not striking lines. Pinnacle Ridge on St Sunday is OK, but a big step up from the grade you are after. It is also a lot of walking for a relatively short section of technically interesting ground.
If you want proper airy exposed scrambling ridges you'd be better heading to Scotland where there are so many classic ridges that would fit the bill.
 Wesley Orvis 19 Nov 2013
In reply to shantaram:

I am sure he is well aware of that as most are, he was heading to the Lakes and was asking about other scrambles in the Lakes therefore it would be good to give him advise based on what he was asking for rather than stating the bleeding obvious. I also live in the Lakes and have done all above mentioned, does this not mean anyone can try other less obvious lines? or do we have to head to Scotland after doing the main ones?
 martinph78 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Wesley Orvis: Was looking for ideas for a QMD for my day off on Friday, reckon I might give this one a go. Cheers.

mark20 19 Nov 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:
As others have already said, you've done the best 'proper' ridges. There's good scrambling on Hall's Fell Ridge, Harrison Stickle, Bow Fell (just to the right of the path) if you pick the best lines but they're not defined ridges. Unless you head to Wales (N Ridge Tryfan is great) I think Jack's Rake would be the next step. Not a ridge, but exposed and a great line leading to the summit
 Wesley Orvis 19 Nov 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

Crinkle Gill followed by Pinnacle Rib on Bowfell Links is a top end grade 1 and leads to the summit of Bowfell, lot's to link up at grade 2 over the Langdale Pikes too as saisd above, a route on Tarn Crag is grade 2 can't think of the name then over Jack's Rake (top end grade 1) or East Ridge of Harrison Stickle (Grade 2) and a run down the scree shout next to Pike 'o' Stickle is always a fun day out in any conditions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...