UKC

Maupassant, Curbar: now with in-situ gear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 funsized 17 Nov 2013
I come in the spirit of penance.

I have managed to get a dragon cam (size red) firmly welded into the crack before the crux on Maupassant at Curbar. I think it partly walked, and also it was the wrong size to use. Very rookie error.

I tried long and hard to get it out on an ab rope but it ain't budging. It somewhat spoils things as its now a bomber clip before the crux. Sorry.

If you do by some miracle manage to remove it, I would be eternally grateful to get it back, but I understand the murky waters surrounding crag swag. So it's up to the heroic King Arthur figure who manages to get this Excalibur-like cam removed, whether they would like to return it.

I'm pretty sure its not coming out, but please drop me an email if you would like to return it
 Cake 17 Nov 2013
In reply to funsized:
Well if this was for the benefit of people like me, who is intimidated by Maupassant and now itching to get up there for a cheap onsight, thank you heartily.

However, if you want your gear back, perhaps the Lost and Found Forum?
 alasdair19 17 Nov 2013
In reply to funsized: were you in the team there today? I was impressed with the enthusiasm! I have a friend who really likes getting kit out so maybe....

Another half way up insanity next please...
 Jonny2vests 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Cake:
> (In reply to funsized)
> Well if this was for the benefit of people like me, who is intimidated by Maupassant

You've ticked Jetrunner, but you're intimidated by Maupassant? Not trying to be a knob, just genuinely surprised sometimes at how differently we all think.

alooker 17 Nov 2013
In reply to funsized: if someone can it's Andy Peak 1, cam-hunter extraordinaire
 alasdair19 17 Nov 2013
In reply to alooker: my money is on Mr d sparkle
bill briggs1 18 Nov 2013
In reply to alooker:
would liked to have helped but not in the Peak any more , however just found/ removed my 27 th cam. Best of luck.
 Andy Peak 1 18 Nov 2013
In reply to alooker: I only remove cams in exscange for belaying me
 David Alcock 18 Nov 2013
In reply to alasdair19: We were surprised how many optimists were out at Curbar yesterday. Did the drizzle slacken off later?
OP funsized 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Cake:

> However, if you want your gear back, perhaps the Lost and Found Forum?

Yeah, I did think this but I am also sort of apologising for being a numpty and spoiling the character of the route somewhat.

Yes, we were the enthusiastic group! Most people had travelled up from Southampton for the weekend so we had no choice but to be enthusiastic.

For any cam removing extrodinaires out there who fancy keeping their skills sharp, this is the baby for you.

I would be really grateful to see it again though I think its unlikely. I cant really afford to replace it atm (smallest violin in the world etc etc) so I would probably write you a song on the guitar or poorly bake you a cake or something.
 alooker 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Andy Peak 1: this is true!
 UKB Shark 18 Nov 2013
In reply to funsized:

What sport grade does it go at?
 Offwidth 18 Nov 2013
In reply to shark: 5ish if it gets many more in-situ cams At least no-one is considering a chock in the wide top crack !
 Cake 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Jonny2vests:
> (In reply to Cake)
> [...]
>
> You've ticked Jetrunner, but you're intimidated by Maupassant?

Well, I was intimidated by it last time I was climbing there, which may have been 2 years ago. All those routes look tough - lhorla, Maupassant, insanity (I fell off l'horla when I was going well). I'm just a bit more inclined to go there soon...
 HB1 18 Nov 2013
In reply to funsized: first time I climbed Maupassant there were 3 bits of in situ in the crack. No contest!
 alasdair19 19 Nov 2013
In reply to David Alcock: I was at home by 13:30 so not sure, weirdly elder crack looked kinda dryish and i came across one dry boulder hidden in the trees.

A bit of a non locals day! There were a couple of teams at forggat too.

al
In reply to funsized:

It had a Friend 4 stuck in it when I did it 18 years ago.
Is that still there?
 Jonny2vests 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Cake:
> (In reply to Jonny2vests)
> [...]
>
> Well, I was intimidated by it last time I was climbing there, which may have been 2 years ago. All those routes look tough - lhorla, Maupassant, insanity (I fell off l'horla when I was going well). I'm just a bit more inclined to go there soon...

L'Horla and Insanity are both tough for sure. I honestly can't remember what Maupassant was like, the only thing I wrote down was 'oppressive midges'
 Offwidth 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Jonny2vests: pretty standard HVS with an outrageous but easy layback at the top.
 Dan Arkle 19 Nov 2013
Just a quick culture note. I read L'horla (a book) by Maupassant last year and thought was pretty good. And I wouldn't have picked it up if i hadn't heard the name at Curbar.
 rurp 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Jonny2vests:
> (In reply to Cake)
> [...]
>
> L'Horla and Insanity are both tough for sure. I honestly can't remember what Maupassant was like, the only thing I wrote down was 'oppressive midges'

like right unconquerable, strenuous and hard. No real rests and commitment needed, after finishing this did kayak, then walked to froggatt and haven't been back to curbar since!
 Offwidth 19 Nov 2013
In reply to rurp: RU is half a grade harder in my view.
In reply to Dan Arkle:
> Just a quick culture note. I read L'horla (a book) by Maupassant last year and thought was pretty good. And I wouldn't have picked it up if i hadn't heard the name at Curbar.

I had to read Boule de Suif and other delightful Prussian war tales written by Maupassant for my french A-level. They were awful., although not as awful as Anouilh's Antigone.

I'd never connected the route name to the man though...
 nwclimber 19 Nov 2013
In reply to victim of mathematics:

Bel Ami is another of his as well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...