UKC

Hammocks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Oliiver 18 Nov 2013
I'm really interested in buying a Hammock to go wild hammocking in the UK. I know it's not really practical, but i really like the idea. If you've got a hammock what make is it and do you recommend it.
ice.solo 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

Ive used a hennessy a fair bit. I hate sleeping in it, but its a good design and does a job where nothing else will.
If youre issues are rain, bugs and nasty terrain over sleep they are great.

Some people love em but for me just a necessary evil.
 thin bob 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:
DD hammocks.
UK Hammocks EDC chair.
and http://www.bushcraftdays.com/tag/hammocks/
 joelc 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

I had a Hennessey but didn't like it for various reasons. I use the Expedition Hammock made by this chap: good price, comfortable, & versatile. http://www.mosquitohammock.com

There's a lot of choice out there & you can soon get dazzled: https://www.hammockforums.net
 Choss 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

I use a trekmates Hammock.

Compact, Light, big enough, and has 2 skins so you can put a karrimat in for insulation when its cold.

And Take a tarp. Blue one From a Pound shop will do. For something more durable, try army surplus.

A Hammock is Infinitely a Better nights sleep than any tent and thermarest.
 Choss 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

I also Carry 2 thin strips cut off an old karrimat.

placed Round trees, they help stop your hammock Lines cutting in to the bark.
 Sharp 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver: I can't suggest what to buy but I can suggest don't buy a cheap one, worst nights sleep of my life and mostly spent unexpectedly face first in a bog.
 jkarran 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

I have a Pika single-point hammock somewhere. Having slept in it in the UK and abroad my only suggestion would be: Don't. They're lovely and comfortable to sit/lie in but they (hammocks generally) crush your sleeping bag leaving you with no insulation and cold kidneys. Fine on holiday somewhere balmy, ok at a push for a night or two up a route but for more than an afternoon nap in the UK they're terrible.

jk
Oliiver 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:I've seen Exped hammocks any one got one of these? I don't want to spend more than £50 really, since i don't think i'd use it a lot, and i've already got a good bivi + tent
 RankAmateur 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:
Get an old (square) sleeping bag, put some eyelets in the corners and use bungee cords to attach this around the outside of the hammock. This provides the insulation you need to keep warm.

Also, use a tarp rigged up overhead to keep dry when it inevitably rains.

You then have to learn how to sleep curled like a banana with your feet inevitably slipping up higher than your head.
 pocketrocket 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:
I recommend the DD hammocks, they are great quality and price. I have the cheapest model and this is still sturdy enough for my needs. it also has a double layer so you can zip in a roll mat to add insulation / sleep inside should the weather get too much.
i use mine in conjunction with a tarp and have had some great nights out without any cold / damp issues.
In reply to Oliiver:

I'm currently using two hammocks I made myself.

Both are comfy and I find I sleep better in them than on the floor.

The first one I made was out of cotton canvas style material which cost about £8 in total. its big, and good for out the car camping.

the second and third I've made were a pair of identical hammocks made from some ripstop nylon which was a bit more pricey. the benefit is that these are a lot more packable and lightweight.

for both i generally use a short foam mat under me inside the hammock with a sleeping bag or if I've the space then I'll put an old sleepingbag around the outside of the hammock and have another one inside and forget the mat.

its all about creating air pockets!

look into it and the pro's and con's of different ways of hanging and insulating and find what works for you. and enjoy it!
 Billhook 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

"Wild hammocking" ? What is tame hammocking then?
 Choss 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Dave Perry:
> (In reply to Oliiver)
>
> "Wild hammocking" ? What is tame hammocking then?

Its when your hammock hasnt been properly trained yet, and has to be muzzled and kept on a Lead when in a public place.

hammock byelaw 23a/c subsection d.5
lorddan01 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver: Hammock camping is awesome, if not a bit addictive.

I have a Hennessy Hammock. I have changed alot of the stuff up though, replaced the rope with poly straps, got dutch clips for super fast hanging, none of this tie it round your tree huggers nonsense! :P

I also have a down underquilt rated to -17c.

I have a huge tarp over the top, the supplied asym one from Hennessy is way too small, to stop any wind and rain. Old Man Winter Tarp. Again I've tripped that out and put elastic on the guy lines to keep them taught.
lorddan01 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver: I am really surprised by some of the replies. It's an awesome nights sleep. and regards to sleeping like a banana, don't hang your feet as high as your head and put the hammock between two wider trees.

to OP there's a few good books about the best widths of trees and heights etc for maximum comfort. I sleep better in my hammock than in any bed I've stayed in.
 Choss 19 Nov 2013
In reply to lorddan01:

Agreed. always a Better nights sleep than the ground
 RankAmateur 19 Nov 2013
In reply to lorddan01:
Admittedly my banana issues get exaggerated by a nylon hammock having a surprisingly low friction coefficient with my sleeping bag, and having an arse the size of a fat sheep that's desperate to occupy the lowest bit of the hammock.

very comfy though.

Side benefits - when drinking heavily, if you feel the need to vomit, you can just stick your head out. Just remember which side you put your boots.
 ripper 19 Nov 2013
In reply to RankAmateur:
> (In reply to lorddan01)
> > Side benefits - when drinking heavily, if you feel the need to vomit, you can just stick your head out. Just remember which side you put your boots.

sounds like a tricky manoeuvre with potential for suddenly face-planting your own pool of vom from height!
 RankAmateur 19 Nov 2013
In reply to ripper:

Not a problem I've had so far. certainly less complicated than trying to unzip a tent inner in the dark when you really need to puke.
lorddan01 19 Nov 2013
Hammocks are great because you can sit up and get dressed. Not sit on the floor and struggle.
 wiwwim 19 Nov 2013
In reply to RankAmateur: especially 20m up an oak tree (would recommend taking a big pillow and keep helmet on and big sleeping bag for comfort when it gets windy)
alexgoodey 20 Nov 2013
Just out of curiosity, are there any pictures of hammocks in use in wild areas? The only place I've seen trees on which to dangle are around valley floors, quite low down and around water. Rather noisy / public, no?
 RankAmateur 20 Nov 2013
In reply to alexgoodey:

Take a set of cams with you, and you can set up a hammock amongst a boulder field if that's more to your taste.
 Firestarter 20 Nov 2013
In reply to alexgoodey:

Check out the Hennessy hammock website - they used to have loads.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...