UKC

Easy mixed routes/buttresses this week

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Shaunmash 18 Nov 2013
I see that the temperatures have gone right down before the snow this time - what are people's thoughts on easier (i.e with frozen turf) routes this week?
Thinking maybe Lochnagar or the Northern Corries.

Thanks.
 Pay Attention 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Shaunmash:

It depends where it settles.

I reckon I'll be looking into the Carneddau, possibly the Glyderau, and maybe the Crib y Ddysgyl area. If all else fails Crib Goch is worth doing.
 BnB 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Pay attention: I'll be looking to do the same. If it snows... And then thaws and refreezes...
 Pay Attention 18 Nov 2013
In reply to BnB:

MWIS say "Planning Outlook for all mountain areas from Tuesday, 19th November, 2013
Very cold on Tuesday and Wednesday with frequent snow and hail showers. Also more persistent snow (rain lower levels) early Wednesday. Drifting snow at times in northwesterly gales. General trend later in the week towards quieter, drier conditions with high pressure moving in from the west. Slowly becoming milder though with night frosts where clear. Continued threat of further bursts of cold air coming down from the north".

Of course, the word "threat" in the last line should be read as "promise".
 BnB 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Pay attention: Getting quite excited at the onset of winter here in Yorkshire. Just waiting to see which of Lakes or Snowdonia is better favoured. Most forecasts seem to favour Wales. I'm keeping Thursday through to Sunday free in readiness. Don't let me down, ye weather gods!!
 Michael Gordon 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Shaunmash:

I wouldn't bet on the turf being frozen, good luck though!
 Wesley Orvis 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Shaunmash:

no turf frozen in the Lakes yet.
Shaunmash 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Wesley Orvis:

Sorry I should have been more specific, I was thinking of the Highlands really.

It is below -6C on the summits just now - perhaps by friday there may be some buttress routes in?
 drunken monkey 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Shaunmash: Fresh snow last night. Forecast to be wild tomoro, then settling down slowly towards end of week.
 AlH 19 Nov 2013
In reply to drunken monkey: The wilder weather has arrived in Fort William. Chucking it down and windier now. Pics from Ledge Route today. Some consolidated snow buried under the fresh powder. More snow now will now be falling on much stronger winds. Turf under snow not really frozen anywhere I was today and water running under snow at 850m. A little rime above 1000m on eposed NW facing rocks. http://alanhalewood.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/plenty-snow-but-turf-still-not-f...
Shaunmash 19 Nov 2013
In reply to AlH:

Thank you for that AIH. Can anyone guess on if it would be better in the Cairngorms in a couple of days?
 drunken monkey 20 Nov 2013
In reply to Shaunmash: Not sure about cairngorm but the lecht and glenshee roads were blocked by snow today. Its been blowing a hoolie all day here on the moray coast. Friday looks to be a more settled day with high pressure moving in

Stay away from gullies and its got to be worth a look.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...