UKC

Recommend me a folding bike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ByEek 18 Nov 2013
I know Brompon are the only company that make half decent folding bikes, but I really can't stretch to the £800+ required to buy a base model. Are there any bikes in the sub £500 price range worth looking twice at?
 Kieran_John 18 Nov 2013
In reply to ByEek:

I had a Ridgeback Rendezvous going back a few years. I used to cycle a couple of miles from my house to York train station, fold it up and then get off at the other end and cycle a couple more miles.

It didn't fold as compact as a Brompton and was much heavier but I preferred the larger wheel size and smaller price. I've since moved house and started to cycle all the way to work but I passed it to a friend and it's still going strong!

Here's an old-ish review:

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/green-living/the-10-best-folding-b...
 abr1966 18 Nov 2013
In reply to ByEek: I really looked in to this about 18 months ago and bought a Dahon Mu Uno....its a single speed and about as light as you can get. Its a very impressive bike and i really like it. Folding is about 10-15 seconds and really easy. I think they are around £400'ish. Sadly ive moved offices so not using it as cant get a train anywhere near now so am foing a half drive/hslf road bike commute.
OP ByEek 19 Nov 2013
In reply to abr1966: That is an excellent recommendation. Will have a serious look at this!
 Loughan 19 Nov 2013
In reply to abr1966: I did quite a lot of research although not a lot of testing and ended up with a Dahon with 8spd internal hub.

It does the job but I don't find it very comfortable in position and ride, my original intention was to go for longer rides but the thought of doing 10miles on it is a definite no-no.

I'd now be interested to try other folding bikes to see if it's all bikes or just this one that's a joker in the pack
 Phil1919 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Loughan: I'm 6'3" and use a Brompton for 65mile days on cycle tours. Its not brilliant if its too hilly, but you do get comfort and performance for £800.
 Loughan 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Phil1919: thanks Clint, I may yet join the cult of brompton. I originally dismissed them on account of cost but what price for enjoyment? Also had to discount airnmail for same reason but really liked the look of them, larger folding size was slight issue too.
 mr rob 19 Nov 2013
In reply to ByEek:
> I know Brompon are the only company that make half decent folding bikes

http://www.moultonbicycles.co.uk

I also like my Ritchey breakaway but it takes about 30mins to "fold"
 cousin nick 20 Nov 2013
In reply to ByEek:
Firstly, I'll fess up that I have a Brompton for commuting. Its 16 inch wheels and very compact fold are just what I need, since I have to get it in the boot of a citroen C1 for the first part of my journey. It was also fortunate that it was the only folder available through my CTW scheme.

However, consider the following points before choosing a folding bike:

Does it need to fold up really small?
Where do you intend using it - is it hilly, exposed to wind? My route is both, and I'm glad some days that I have 6 gears.
What are the road surfaces like? 16" wheels don't roll like 700c, steering is 'twitchy'. If surfaces are bad, bigger wheels may be better.
Do you need mudguards, racks etc? I go 7km each way and use a rucksack, so its mudguards only for me.
Lastly - ride position - try before you buy. Some folders are plain weird! The Brompton is OK, but very 'sit up and beg' AND the whole bike flexes a lot due to the extended tubing (steerer, seatpost, frame). Don't get me wrong, its a great tool for commuting, but I wouldn't choose one over a conventional bike, were it not for the need of compactness.
N
 Phil1919 20 Nov 2013
In reply to cousin nick: I agree. I did a 'tour' in which covered about 130 miles recently linking places together by bus/car/ and train journeys. I was aware of the flex, the sit up and beg point, and the weakness on hills, yet the portability more than made up for it.
 Alun 20 Nov 2013
In reply to Loughan:
> I may yet join the cult of brompton. I originally dismissed them on account of cost but what price for enjoyment?

My wife did quite a bit of research into folding bikes, before eventually stumping up for a Brompton. The final decision was made essentially because of the fact that she was going to be using it *every day*, and so reliability, comfort and ease-of-use were considered more important than price.

Also, she had used some cheaper folding bikes in the past (made by Monty I believe), and they had fallen apart pretty quickly. So she was willing to pay for quality.

Finally, Bromptons are notoriously hard to find second hand i.e. few people are willing to sell!
 annieman 20 Nov 2013
In reply to ByEek: Keep an eye on this website for the Brompton World championships. http://orbitalfestival.com/

Last year there were 700 Bromptons, with a Le Mans style start and then a race around the Goodwood Circuit.

Website not yet live. Festival date 26th/27th July
Robin
OP ByEek 25 Nov 2013
In reply to cousin nick:

Yep - considered all of those. My plan is to use it on rainy or can't be arsed days. Basically 1.5 mile cycle to station. Fold up and carry onto busy commuter train, then cycle another 1.5 miles from station to work. This would basically cuts the best part of 40 minutes walking by two thirds. For all other days, I would just cycle using my normal bike so the folder doesn't have to be an all rounder.
 Bert 25 Nov 2013
In reply to ByEek:

I did some considerable research since I wanted a full strength and size mountain bike that folds. I came up with the patented Montague range, I purchased the X-70 at £1000. The best thing about this bike is the folding mechanism, it lives in the boot of my astra hatchback no problem. The nigle, you really are paying through the nose for the folding mechanism since all the other components are well below par for a bike of this standard, I don't know much about bikes, I think its excellent and have given it a little punishment with no problem but I do believe its over priced (I reckon by a good £300).
 Petekitso 25 Nov 2013
In reply to ByEek:

I have a Tern Link p9 - they are just over the £500 at Evans at the moment. I chose it over the Brompton because the gearing and ride are better for me - I do around five miles at one end of a train journey on fairly steep hills and with an off-road section (at least in the summer) and then about 1.5 miles through central London at the other end. I also use it for getting around London a fair bit.

The fold is fairly compact but by no means as good as the Brompton because the chain etc is on the outside, it is more cumbersome and it is not as stable as the Brompton.

Also, around three months in, one of the plastic folding pedals snapped off. Fortunately I was not in traffic at the time so it was just a cut leg and hand. If you do get one, I would replace the pedals immediately with a medal folder - this was 18 months ago of daily use and nothing else has failed.
 James FR 25 Nov 2013
In reply to ByEek:

Decathlon now do folding bikes (at least, they do in France) - I have absolutely no idea if they're any good but they're fairly cheap!
 Martine1 28 Nov 2013
In reply to ByEek:
Get a second hand Brompton or save up a bit and get a new one. They are strong, light, small and easy on the eye. I love mine! Otherwise be wary of cheaper aluminium bikes - i know one where the stem broke. Also some fold in an untidy way that makes them hard to store and move.

Becky E 28 Nov 2013
In reply to Loughan:

Bromptons will fit into the luggage space between seats on a train - others won't as they're too big.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...