Gear forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - down jacket shoulder baffles

captain paranoia - on 18 Nov 2013
I'm pondering the design pros and cons of baffle design on the shoulder region of down jackets, largely prompted by my recent Wed'ze purchase and some weekend shop browsing...

The Wed'ze jacket has an interesting sleeve design that is a hybrid cap/raglan sleeve, and the baffles run over the shoulder, from front to back, using a raglan shoulder design. When the sleeve reaches the arm, there's a cap sleeve, and standard horizontal baffles. This seems a pretty good design to me, avoiding a seam on the shoulder, and allowing baffles that seem to hold down in place.

Another design commonly used is to have a simple cap sleeve, and shoulder baffles that are simply an extension of the horizontal body baffles, culminating in a seam along the shoulder. This often seems to result in poorly lofted down, and an obvious thin point along the shoulder (where the seam is). This design doesn't seem as good, so I was surprised to see it employed on some very high-end down items at the weekend (no names, no pack drill, but with prices of the order of 300-375 for gilet to jacket).

Anyone else have any thoughts, or am I just a bit obsessive...?
... not showing 6 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums