UKC

Cleaning sandstone boulder problems?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GrahamGiles 18 Nov 2013
Just curious really as I was down in Tunbridge Wells allot over the summer and found most less well trodden and even a few classic boulder problems in a terrible state with either moss/lichen/bird excrement making them pretty much unclimbable without cleaning them. Me not wanting to break the sandstone 10 commandments didnt want to brush the holds but obviously someone had to have cleaned them in the first place right?
Your thoughts please...
 SteveoS 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Gile5:

Gently. Don't do it when it's wet.
 FreshSlate 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Gile5: I find a drill with a wire brush attachment works well.
 Offwidth 19 Nov 2013
In reply to FreshSlate:

Bored and drunk at this time of the morning...I'm impressed!
Removed User 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Gile5: It's quite rare that sandstone is soft enough that light brushing with a Lapis (or whatever you're using) will cause damage to it. Imagine what climbing shoes would do to it if you couldn't brush it without it turning to sand.
 alooker 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Removed User: this is southern sandstone, though...! There is very noticeable erosion from rock shoes there.

Best thing for cleaning around those parts would be a soft brush, care and never when it's wet.
 Choss 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Gile5:

If its Bulls Hollow or happy Valley, the moss, Lichen, bird poo, Swamp, and Crocodiles are all part of the fun. Dont Clean them, youll ruin the Ambience.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...