UKC

Winter Conditions Spean Bridge/The Ben

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
What's the conditions like for the easier climbs (I-III) on the ben and general spean bridge area? Can anyone recommend some good routes?
 Jamie B 19 Nov 2013
In reply to victorhearnyeates:

Pretty cold and snowy today, although even the easy gullies may not be consolidated. Things like Ledge Route on the Ben and the summit ribs on Aonach Mor should be good.
In reply to Jamie B: Thanks, ledge route looks like a good day out
 AlH 19 Nov 2013
In reply to victorhearnyeates: Pics from Ledge Route today. Some consolidated snow buried under the fresh powder. More snow now falling on much stronger winds. Turf under snow not really frozen anywhere I was today and water running under snow at 850m. A little rime above 1000m on eposed NW facing rocks. http://alanhalewood.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/plenty-snow-but-turf-still-not-f...
Ledge Route itself will be fine but the approach could be interesting if this wind builds slab on top of the firm base in the bottom of No.5 Gully.
In reply to AlH: Anything better suited you could suggest?
 AlH 19 Nov 2013
In reply to victorhearnyeates: Ledge Route might be find if the wind scours the snow rather than laying it down in there. The ridges Jamie B mentioned are good but a flog whilst the gondola is off. If the snow stays low Sron na Lairig in Glencoe (turfy but easy enough that it shouldn't matter), East Ridge of Beinn a Chaorainn but check the height of their bases and the snow level. CMD Arete, started by the east ridge is a good I/II.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...