UKC

Help with insulating a van

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi folks, just looking for some advice. I recently bought myself a small panel van with the intention of converting it into a home for climbing trips away (but not a full blown camper). My plan is to insulate, ply line and carpet it so it's comfortable enough to sleep in all year round including scottish winter. I also intend on putting a vent in to get rid of moisture. I've done a fair bit of research but I'm still unsure what insulation would be best. Is there anything out there has good heat retaining properties, doesn't take up too much space and is good regarding condensation and moisture? I don't mind spending decent money on something if its good for the job. Can anyone recommend anything from personal experience? Also can any advise anything else that can be done to trap heat?

Cheers

John
 DreadyCraig 19 Nov 2013
In reply to yorkshiresherpa:
Apparently glass fibre insulation absorbs water and causes the van to rust. Recycled plastic bottle or sheeps wool insulation doesn't absorb water (don't know how true it is though)
In my T5 I have used Kingspan/celotex stuck onto the side walls with plastic bottle insulation n the cracks and then foil bubble stuff stuck over the top sealed with foil tape at the edges.
Don't forget to do the roof and floor.
mark js 19 Nov 2013

I did a lot of research when converting my van and finally used the following:

walls: kingspan aluminium foil-lined foam insulation board (25 and 50mm) with foil-lined bubblewrap in smaller nooks. Ply-lined and quality veltrim cover.
roof: foil-lined bubblewrap then veltrim covered headliner.
floor: 2 x layers of a 5mm high-density foam, again foil lined, designed to be used beneath underfloor heating systems (I forget the brand). Again, ply-lined and covered.

I've been pleased with the warmth in the van but found that the addition of either internal or external covers on the cab windows really helps when the temps drop below freezing.
 Cheese Monkey 19 Nov 2013
In reply to yorkshiresherpa: I used standard crap and my van isnt rusting- mostly due to the fact that the metalwork is painted.... Insulate the floor and wheel arches with the silver bubble stuff and then make cut outs for the windows. When you get a chance insulate the cab too. Assuming you dont have bulkhead. Buy an eberspacher, mine is worth its weight in gold so warm last night in Kent 2C when I woke up outside but toasty inside. No condensation anywhere.
 butteredfrog 19 Nov 2013

The last one we built (sprinter race van), after a trawl of the net, was insulated with sheep's wool insulation, expanding foam in the hard to reach bits (behind ribs and double skins). Overlaid with a plastic vapour barrier between the insulation and the ply.

As another poster recommended, window insulation is a must. This can be bought "cut to fit" for most vans.

Cheers Adam
 Cheese Monkey 19 Nov 2013
In reply to butteredfrog: Takes 5 minutes and a fraction of the price to make your own
 butteredfrog 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

True, have some homemade for kipping in the car. It was for a customer so we went with bought over my scissor skills.
 gethin_allen 19 Nov 2013
I know of plenty of old vans insulated with simple fibreglass insulation that haven't rusted to any noticeable degree. Because it really is the simplest method, if you are bothered about rust you could waxoil the inside, then bag up the fibreglass in bin bags (also makes installation easier) and install a vapour barrier behind the carpet.
 Richard Wilson 20 Nov 2013
Make sure you use a vapour barrier between the insulation & the ply. Then moisture cant get in & rust any thing.

Also insulation needs thickness (the insulator is air, the material is just to trap the air & stop it circulating). The foil types need the foil side to be exposed to reflect the "heat" back into the space. They do well in tests but not so good in a real install.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...