UKC

Positioning a PC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 20 Nov 2013
Got a new pc tower recently. It's quite a bit smaller than the old one and would fit neatly on a shelf in my desk but only if turned on its side. Just wondering if it's ok to do this; anyone know please?
 ewar woowar 20 Nov 2013
In reply to FesteringSore:
Not an expert but think about the ventilation holes these things get quite hot if they are blocked.
 wilkie14c 20 Nov 2013
As long as any fan grills are not blocked it should be fine.
 rallymania 20 Nov 2013

probably no problem at all, however a couple of points

make sure there is plenty of air gab around all the vents, especially the back where all the cables plug in

don't move it while it's switched on

some optical drives (CD/DVD/Bluray) don't work when they aren't horizontal... catches lots of people out that one

... but mostly it's the vents you want to watch for
 Sharp 20 Nov 2013
In reply to FesteringSore: used to run my pc on it's side for ages, obviously motherboard side down and have a wee looksie inside to make sure cables are tidy and not going to hang down into fans.
 balmybaldwin 20 Nov 2013

I think the only thing you may have trouble with is any cd/dvd drive as some can and some can't be operated on their sides. I think (but stand to be corrected) Hard disks ok, the rest of the stuff inside is static, so provided you don't end up blocking vents you should be OK
 rallymania 20 Nov 2013
In reply to rallymania:

***edit****
make sure there is plenty of air gap around all the vents

but then as 2 other people have posted that, you've already got that bit i'm sure lol
needvert 20 Nov 2013
See where the vents are, then leave a little bit of space (an inch would make me happy.)

There's a reasonable chance the fans are temperature controlled so you'll often hear if things are getting too hot.

A common symptom of too hot is the computer will start crashing, some components (perhaps your CPU) when dangerously too hot will turn off before damage occurs.

OP FesteringSore 20 Nov 2013
In reply to All: Thanks for advice. I might leave it "vertical"
 TMM 20 Nov 2013

As long as the tower is placed at 90 degrees to the nearest lay line you should be fine, if not it can suffer from negative ionisation.

That's what the feng shui practitioner told me whilst I was waiting at the homoeopathist.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...