UKC

Grivel Flex Bar Making C3 work with B1?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robin Woodward 20 Nov 2013
Apologies if this should be in a different forum, I wasn't sure.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find it yet, I've just got some B1 boots and was wondering if I could get away with putting Grivel Flex Bars in my G14's and then use them with the B1 boots (avoiding a third pair of Crampons (Rambo's also))?

Obviously the attachments would have to be right for the boot (in my case I'd need to get the converter bails also to get the toes to work).

Any advice or experiences greatly welcomed.
 CurlyStevo 20 Nov 2013
In reply to Robin UK:
I wouldn't have a problem with that if the heel and toe attachments work fine with the boots. Do the boots have a heel welt? If not I don't think you'll be able to buy the parts (new from grivel) to convert the crampons to heel strap on.
In reply to CurlyStevo: Yep, heel welts, but no toe welts, so looks like just the front would need a change.
 CurlyStevo 20 Nov 2013
In reply to Robin UK:
what boots are they?

Most people would describe boots with that fitting as B2. It's usual for boots with a heel welt not to need a flex bar (but only to work with hinged crampons like the G14 if no toe welt), but without knowing the boots it would be hard to comment further.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=4385
 CurlyStevo 20 Nov 2013
In reply to Robin UK:
They look like B1 boots right enough and I think its debatable whether those heel welts are really designed to take a clip on heel crampon.

In general B1 boots are made to take a strap on heel and front attachment only as its more secure with bendier boots.

That said its often a bit blurred and without seeing the boots after they are well worn in (and bendier) its hard to tell.
 gethin_allen 20 Nov 2013
In reply to Robin UK:
I doubt those heel welts would survive very long with a heel clip crampon.
perhaps it is better to get a cheap set of something like a monte rosa crampon. After all do you really want to have all the extra weight of a G14?
and by the time you've bought the extra bits and bobs to adapt your g14s you're not far off buying a different set of crampons off ebay that will work reliably.
 Andrew Lodge 20 Nov 2013
In reply to Robin UK: Ive got a spare set of Grivel flexible plastic heel bails with straps if you want them.
Brand new, I swapped boots and thus heels before I had chance to use them.

£10 posted

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...