UKC

Any dentists - lots of oral hygiene questions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sharp 20 Nov 2013
Just musing over dental care, as you do. I've never really thought about it before but I realised I quite like my teeth and thought I'd maybe try and find out a bit more about keeping them happy. I asked my dentist why we get tooth decay once and before explaining, she looked at me as if maybe that's something I should already have known. So, if any one has enough free time to indulge me with some impartial advice I'd be very grateful, I've found impartial dental advice is quite hard to google.

1) Is there really any benefit to electric toothbrushes over manual ones, provided you brush properly?
2) Flossing - are interdental brushes as good, they dont feel like they're doing much compared to floss
3) Fluoride - I've used Euthymol for about 6 years now and only recently realised it doesn't have any fluoride in it. Everyone I've heard of that uses it (including myself) seem to have quite healthy teeth and never get fillings, is this just fluke and am I unnecessarily risking my teeth by not using a fluoride toothpaste? I don't have anything against fluoride btw, I just enjoy feeling like my mouth has been napalmed, which euthymol does for me.
4) Mouthwash - is it a con, does it really do anything extra if you've brushed your teeth properly? Is it worth using in between brushing? Are all mouthwashes pretty much the same or are the dentistry looking ones (that I guess taste like shit) better?
5) Tongue brushing - after that sketch on Mitchel and Webb I've always just assumed it was a con, is it? If it isn't, why have those tiny barely abrasive pads when you've already got a big brush?
6) My dentist always trys to book me in every 6 months, is that over kill? I remember there being a few articles popping up in the newspapers saying every 2 years was fine
7) Some people go to see the hygenist regularly as a matter of course (like every few months or so). Is there a benefit to this or are they wasting their money?

Sorry for the volume of questions, as I mentioned I've tried captain google but for some reason there's massive amounts of conflicting advice and it seems like 9 our of 10 web pages you end up reading are just corporate marketing. Some impartial answers would be great,

Thanks

Ben
 Rob Exile Ward 20 Nov 2013
In reply to Sharp: These are good questions, possibly too late for me! I await answers with interest...
 peppermill 20 Nov 2013
In reply to Sharp:

The answer to most of those questions is 'It depends on the patient' but I'll try and elaborate as best I can!

1) Yes provided they are used properly, ones with oscillating heads are the best (I can't remember the journal citation off the top of my head), manufacturers of these are OralB and boots, they also tend to be cheaper than other types. That said if your oral hygiene is good with a manual there's no need to change

2) Depends. ID brushes are better if you have large gaps between your teeth or complex dental work (e.g. Crowns) as the bristles clean areas floss can't. If you have tighter gaps then go for floss and make sure you get it under your gums and keep going if it bleeds (you're not causing any damage)

3) Fluoride toothpaste has reduced caries (decay) rates by something like 25% since it was brought in in the seventies (again can't remember the citation). Use one with around 1400ppm sodium fluoride (i.e. most adult toothpaste even cheapo own brands). If you like the feeling of a napalmed mouth try Corsodyl toothpaste or Oralb Pro-expert. I had a patient once who was adamant fluoride was a heavy metal that shouldn't be anywhere near your teeth. His knowledge of chemistry wasn't great.

5) You can do if you like.

6) The whole six monthly thing was thought up by a dentist at the start of the last century I think and it wasn't all that evidence based. Again it depends on the patient. Some people this is perfect, some high risk patients are seen every three months and some are seen yearly or even less frequently.

7) Hygienist. Again it depends. Plenty of people will never see a hygienist in their life and it won't make a difference to their oral health. Plenty more people really benefit from regular hygienist visits, simply put it depends whether or not you have a history of gum disease (i.e. supporting structures of the teeth breaking down), the management of which is lifelong and if it's not kept up can all go to pot.
OP Sharp 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Troy Tempest: Thanks very much for all that, I had seen oscillating head toothbrushes mentioned as being better but I wasn't sure if that was marketing guff or not. I saw a toothbrush in an advert the other day reduced to £150, nuts. I think I'll stick with the manual, I tend to brush for quite a while and I get a new tooth brush (possibly unnecessarily) regularly so from what you say it sounds like it isn't a great concern.

It'll be a shame to say goodbye to the Euthymol but I'll give those other two a try and see what they're like. If only they did a Euthymol with fluoride in it I could have the best of both worlds, I guess I could always save some for the weekend or special occasions. Would using a fluoride mouthwash have the same benefits?

I suspect 6 monthly might be a little too often for me but I might just start doing that anyway. I always say no and plan to make my own appointment a year down the line, which often ends up closer to 2 years.

Thanks for answering those questions, I'm still interested in the use of mouthwash though, does it have any benefits other than short term breath enhancing?

I've been reading a few things (including from one of the NHS pages) that say you should always brush before eating, not after. I get the reason behind the acid in food making the enamel on your teeth softer but isn't there a trade off between brushing your enamel away and leaving bits of food in your mouth overnight?

Thanks
 Edradour 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Sharp:
> (In reply to Troy Tempest) Thanks very much for all that, I had seen oscillating head toothbrushes mentioned as being better but I wasn't sure if that was marketing guff or not. I saw a toothbrush in an advert the other day reduced to £150, nuts. I think I'll stick with the manual, I tend to brush for quite a while and I get a new tooth brush (possibly unnecessarily) regularly so from what you say it sounds like it isn't a great concern.
>

Electric toothbrushes are almost always discounted in either Tesco, Superdrug or Boots (I'm sure other supermarkets are the same but Tesco is closest to me) and they are usually sold at 50% off. Mine was £25 and is infinitely better than a manual brush. I use a manual brush when I travel and look forward to giving my teeth a good clean when I get back. Sad but true. Well worth the investment IM.

bleddynmawr 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Sharp: I think that the whole six month check up has been made up to bring in the money. Try popping into your GP's and saying that you haven't been for a while and thought you ought to although there is nothing wrong.I haven't been to a dentist in 15 years, still have all my adult teeth, and haven't needed a filling since I was a teenager, over 30 years ago. Brush regularly and thoroughly and eat sensibly.
 The Potato 21 Nov 2013
I know you have already had a good response but heres mine

1) Is there really any benefit to electric toothbrushes over manual ones, provided you brush properly?

- there can be its quite individual, if you can brush well then a manual toothbrush is fine

2) Flossing - are interdental brushes as good, they dont feel like they're doing much compared to floss

- depends on how wide the gaps are between your teeth, tight spaces like incisors use floss, if you have missing teeth, spaces, bridges, crowns etc then try finding the right size interdental brush. Tepe brushes come in a range of sizes

3) Fluoride - I've used Euthymol for about 6 years now and only recently realised it doesn't have any fluoride in it. Everyone I've heard of that uses it (including myself) seem to have quite healthy teeth and never get fillings, is this just fluke and am I unnecessarily risking my teeth by not using a fluoride toothpaste? I don't have anything against fluoride btw, I just enjoy feeling like my mouth has been napalmed, which euthymol does for me.

- In a normal adult it can take up to 2 years for a cavity to progress, so 6 months is not long enough to tell. If you arent having any refined carbohydrates or sugars and have a clean mouth then you may never get any cavities. Most pre prepared foods and drinks contain harmful sugars and carbohydrates and are hard to avoid.

4) Mouthwash - is it a con, does it really do anything extra if you've brushed your teeth properly? Is it worth using in between brushing? Are all mouthwashes pretty much the same or are the dentistry looking ones better?

- Most mouthwashes have similar ingredients, and a lot of it is personal taste. Incidentally a lot of mouthwashes are classed as a beauty product as opposed to a medicine so have less regulation. Some of the more specific ones are corsodyl which contains chlorohexidine, and is not something to use frequently but is for acute gum disease. Mouthwashes are not essential in the same way that brushing is, but can for some people be a useful adjunct to brushing. They should be used at a seperate time to brushing (at least 30 mins after).

5) Tongue brushing - after that sketch on Mitchel and Webb I've always just assumed it was a con, is it? If it isn't, why have those tiny barely abrasive pads when you've already got a big brush?

- Not needed and little evidence to support any benefits.

6) My dentist always trys to book me in every 6 months, is that over kill? I remember there being a few articles popping up in the newspapers saying every 2 years was fine

- This should be based on your decay experience, it can be as short as 3 months or as long as 2 years. Unfortunately a lot of people and denists fall in to the traditional habit of twice yearly. You should discuss this with your dentist as they may have specific reasons for suggesting 6 month for you.

7) Some people go to see the hygenist regularly as a matter of course (like every few months or so). Is there a benefit to this or are they wasting their money?

- it is beneficial if they are unable to maintain their own oral health, but again some people like the feel of having a clean and ask for it whether they need it or not.

The Potato 21 Nov 2013
I wrote my response intentionally before reading Troy Tempest, and am glad that we both give similar advice
 Toby S 21 Nov 2013
In reply to owena:

Any suggestions for someone who is terrified of dentists (other than man the f-k up!) and hasn't been for a few years? I know that my teeth aren't in best shape and my gums were a cause for a bit of concern last time I went. But the last time I was there I was a quivering wreck, nearly passed out and the dentist didn't get much done. Mind you, he was a bit of a tit and the last thing I needed was a fecking lecture when I was already shitting it!
 Mal Grey 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Toby S:

This is me too! Its probably my only true irrational fear...

Choss 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Toby S:

Youre not alone there. Not been for about 11 years. Butchers.
 tlm 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Toby S:

Here you go - a whole website dedicated to the subject...

http://www.dentalphobia.co.uk/fact-sheets/cure-dental-phobia.html
OP Sharp 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Toby S: change your dentist till you find one you like, I've always hated going, phobia passed on from my mum. My motivation for going now is based on having lots of pain, fillings and a tooth removed when I was younger. F*ck going through that again, if I have to get a filling I want it caught early.

Don't forget the joggers effect works for fear as well, people speed up when they pass a pretty girl. Need to find yourself a hot dentist you don't want to look scared in front of!
 The Potato 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Sharp: definately find one that you like. Theres always the vicious cycle that affects some people, and unfortunately its usually the ones who dont look after their teeth. Dont go cos scared, have pain, go, have to have difficult extraction / filling, scared, dont go, etc etc.

Ive seen a few people who never need any fillings or cleaning work done, it is possible, myself for one example, Im human too!

It can help to find a dentist who explains whats going on, that can be reassuring. You could have some treatment done whilst sat up, some people find lying down makes them more veunerable, but having said that there are some treatments that a dentist cannot do whilst you are sat up as its impossible to see and very bad for their back/neck.

Go and have an examination, have some simple dentistry done first, cleaning and polishing, temporary fillings etc whatever they can offer to get you used to having things done in your mouth.
Some places may be able to offer you to watch whats going on, either with a large mirror or with a video (very fancy stuff), and that might help you.

I find that when Im seeing kids or anxious people, so long as they are willing to leave their previous experiences to one side and not hang on to irrational thoughts and worries, that as I go along and explain what Im doing and what to expect next, they are ok and can relax.
The ones that I cant help are the ones who arent willing to help themselves and insist that everything is going to be awful and painful, they often dont hear what Im saying and just sit there petrified for no reason, other than their own imagination.
 Choss 21 Nov 2013
In reply to owena:

Dear UKC dental agony aunt

Ive got a couple of broken teeth. One smashed off just above gumLine, the Other vertically in half. Theres no way thats going to painless to extract is it?

Ive got Other old fillings need Replacing As well etc.

Last Time Spent hour and half in dental hospital Having jawbone hacked away and and whole left Lower gum sewn Back up after. multiple injections and adrenaline when i went into shock.

dreadful. what can i do Owena?

Yours

Nervous of Bristol
 The Potato 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Sharp: it depends entirely on what tooth it is an what the roots are like.
The one you had removed in dental hospital sounds like lower third molar (wisdom tooth) or you are lucky to be endowed with very strong healthy bones.
If there is a particularly difficult tooth to extract which will likely need a long proceedure, you could ask about sedation, either gas and air or intravenous sedation, depending on where you are etc it may cost extra to have this.
Some people opt to have teeth out under general anaesthetic but this usually involves a long wait and personally I feel I carry out more 'gentle' work whilst someone is conscious than asleep for various reasons.
Most people are fortunate in that teeth come out very easily, others do have a hard time of it. Sometimes its a case of 'man up' its going to be difficult. Ive taken a loose molar out in a few seconds, and Ive spent 70 minutes removing a wisdom tooth. Every dentist will have had simialr experiences, and theres not a lot we can do about it.
 The Potato 21 Nov 2013
In reply to owena: I know we are veering off topic a bit here but another thing Id like to add is, when you are visiting a new dentist, never start with 'I hate dentists' its very rude and for me makes me feel saying, 'ok p*ss off then'.
Instead start by saying 'hello' (youd be surprised how often I dont even get a hello from a new patient), then say something like, "Ive had some previous bad experiences which have made me anxious about having dental treatment, Im hoping you can help me get back in to it and be comfortable again".
 Toby S 21 Nov 2013
In reply to owena:

How about:

<<hysterical laughter>> ahahahaaaaa.... fuuuuuck.... HihowareyouIamfinealthoughIamnotandI'mactuallyscaredshitlesspleasepleasedon'thurtme....

as an opening gambit? Too much?
 Toby S 21 Nov 2013
In reply to owena:

> Some places may be able to offer you to watch whats going on, either with a large mirror or with a video (very fancy stuff), and that might help you.
>

Bugger that for a game of soldiers. I'd rather not see anything!
 The Potato 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Sharp: well as this is a climbing forum - how do you get someone to get over their phobia of heights? you might be absoloutely fine on a 50m E2 pitch hanging off two fingers whilst rubbing your balls (chalk), yet to someone else this would be their worst nightmare - everyone is different but we are all human in the end.
In reply to owena: No benefits to tongue brushing?

Is it only me that gets a furry tongue after a big night out?
 Choss 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

Thats the joke. If we can convince them they need to brush their tongues, we can sell them anything else we make up.

And Listerine Invented the word Halitosis to shift their Product, Which was originally a Floor Cleaner. It flopped so they said it was Mouthwash to try and shift it
In reply to Choss: They will have to be more savvy than that with me. Mine just gets a work over after the teeth with the same brush/

I do use OralB expert paint stripper toothpaste though. Smells like deep heat . Wife hates it
 Rob Exile Ward 21 Nov 2013
In reply to owena: I like my dentist. Once when he was probing away (as it were) the sun was shining, and the Eagles were on the radio, he madea comment 'Ah, dentistry and the Eagles ... it doesn't get much better than this' he said. I think he meant it too.
 Tom Last 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Sharp:

I'm going to jump in on the act here, if any of you dentists don't mind answering another question?

All my wisdom teeth are fully erupted apparently, but one grew sideways into my molar, which makes it difficult to clean and thus liable to gum disease.

They've told me that they need to remove it surgically and if I don't get it done now, then I'll have to get it done in the future anyway.

The tooth needs to be removed in such a way as the jawbone need to drilled too, getting dangerously close to the nerves.

I had heard that there was a chance that this can cause some numbness in the jaw and that on occasion it can be permanent.

I asked the consultant if this was the case and he said no, never permanent. He was a surly and disinterested type and I didn't really know what to make of him so asked another dentist a couple of days later whether it can be permanent and she said yes! Yes and that one of her patients had permanent numbness in her jaw. So basically, whether for good or ill, the consultant had misled me somewhat and I now have very little confidence in him or the procedure generally. I know it's straightforward and it'll probably be fine/irrational fear etc, but there you go.

So question is, given that I don't have any particular pain from the tooth, but am worried about it in the future - is it not just possible to remove the molar next to it and not gamble on a numb face for the rest of my life?

Cheers,
Tom
 peppermill 21 Nov 2013
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Nah if anything it's being phased out as time goes on.
 peppermill 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Sharp:

Yep £150 quid for an electric toothbrush is bollocks, the basic one at about £30 or less is great. Also all the different heads don't do squat, especially the 'Flossing action' one. Again the bog standard one is perfect

Sorry I forgot your mouthwash question! You can probably split your mouthwashes into two types:

1) Fluoride- will say on the back and make sure it's alcohol free as last time I checked the acidic alcohol negates the effect of fluoride (current thinking may have changed, mind). This will help prevent against tooth decay, but don't rinse straight after brushing, you will just wash away the toothpaste which has a much higher fluoride content, best to rinse for a minute or so after lunch or whatever.

2)Chlorhexidine- Basically Corsodyl that you see advertised everywhere. It's designed for gum problems and it tends to work. I wouldn't really bother with it unless told to by dentist/hygienist, and it's not a substitute for proper flossing/brushing despite the advert giving the impression that it will magic gum disease away. Oh, and it turns your teeth dark brown if you use it long term.

After eating anything acidic you can rinse with a fluoride mouthwash if you want. Brushing before bed is very important- your body produces less saliva when you are asleep, and saliva helps prevent against tooth decay.
 The Potato 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Tom Last: that is a perfectly reasonable option which is worth discussing.
With third molars that are close to the nerve, we always mention the risk of numbness, which in the vast majority does not occur, and when it does is temporary (up to a month). Very very few will end up with permanent numbness, but as with any proceedure it is a risk and it has to be mentioned.
If the roots are definately involved with the nerve, there are specific things we look at to determine how close it is as an xray picture is a 2D picture of a 3D structure so its not always apparent how they are related in all planes. The options then are to remove it and accept the risk or remove the tooth infont of it.
The risk of removing the tooth infront can mean that the opposing molar (above it) may overgrow if its not got anything to bite against. Without seeing the arrangement of your teeth its hard to say, but this is an option worth discussing with your dentist.
OP Sharp 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Troy Tempest:
>but don't rinse straight after brushing, you will just wash away the toothpaste which has a much higher fluoride content...

I've read that you shouldn't rinse at all after brushing, just spit. I get the reason behind leaving the toothpaste on your teeth but does anyone actually do this? Doesn't it also leave all the debris in your mouth as well and generally just be kind of minging?

Cheers to everyone for the info by the way, they should really teach this stuff in school!
 The Potato 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Sharp: we do when we go to schools, only the ones in the high need areas anyway, and its what I tell any patient.
Spit not rinse, the crud in your mouth is either food or bacteria, which you cant get rid of anyway, you just prevent it from accumulating excessively. No harm in rinsing at a seperate time, but why bother applying toothpaste to then rinse it off before its absorbed?
 peppermill 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Sharp:

Yep spit don't rinse is what I meant, as for the debris, you'll spit most of that out anyway. The whole point of the brushing/flossing thing is to physically break up bacterial colonies that naturally form from food debris and eventually cause tooth decay/gum disease. The fluoride in the toothpaste just needs to be in your saliva, it doesn't have to be brushed in to the teeth but putting it on your brush makes sure it gets everywhere.

Yes you're right, but prevention from a young age is getting better in schools. It's absolutely heartbreaking seeing the decay levels in some young children.
 peppermill 21 Nov 2013
In reply to owena:

You beat me to it this time!
 David Alcock 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Sharp: while people are giving good dentistry advice, what to do about a crap gag reflex? I've no problem with dentists, even found root canal stuff 'interesting', but I need a wisdom tooth filled, and after the last time they tried I can safely say the second career as a rent boy is not going to happen.
 Tom Last 22 Nov 2013
In reply to owena:

Thank you so much
 tlm 22 Nov 2013
In reply to Sharp:

I'm never too keen on mouthwashes with alcohol in them...

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2009/01January/Pages/Mouthwashandoralcancer.aspx
 Dave Garnett 22 Nov 2013
In reply to Troy Tempest:

> 2)Chlorhexidine- Basically Corsodyl that you see advertised everywhere. It's designed for gum problems and it tends to work. I wouldn't really bother with it unless told to by dentist/hygienist, and it's not a substitute for proper flossing/brushing despite the advert giving the impression that it will magic gum disease away. Oh, and it turns your teeth dark brown if you use it long term.

I think Corsodyl works pretty well (as an extra, not instead of proper cleaning), although I agree using it too much stains the teeth (although this only cosmetic and comes off with proper cleaning). More importantly, if used too much (like every day) it tends to kill off all the normal bugs allowing less welcome things like Candida to get established. A good rinse a couple of times a week works for me.

On the basis that the worse things taste the better they work it has to be a winner. The mint flavoured one is for wimps (although it still tastes pretty vile!).
 Toby S 22 Nov 2013
In reply to owena:

Thanks btw. You and Troy have posted loads of great info. I've found a dentist in Inverness that apparently specialises in dealing with fearty cats like me
 Toerag 22 Nov 2013
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:
> Is it only me that gets a furry tongue after a big night out?

nope. I suffer more mouth ulcers then as well, I'm pretty sure it's a dehydration thing.

Corsodyl definitely does work, after using it for a couple of days my teeth don't fur up anywhere near as much as they do otherwise and it works really well for mouth ulcers. The other help is to have a low sugar diet, mouth ulcers seem to thrive if I'm eating a lot of sweet things.
 peppermill 22 Nov 2013
In reply to Dave Garnett:

You're right in regards to the staining being pretty easy to remove and I agree with the rest of that paragraph.

I remember reading one of your posts saying you used to be a dentist or am I making that up?

Also, even plain corsodyl is for wimps. Peroxyl is a real man's mouthwash.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...