UKC

Zoom lens question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 anonymous 20 Nov 2013
I'm heading off on safari and am thinking about getting a cheap zoom lens to go with my canon 400d to try and get some wildlife pictures. Can anyone recommend a lens as to be frank I don't really know where to start and don't have the money to spend a fortune. Thanks in advance
 The Lemming 20 Nov 2013
In reply to anonymous:

Will you mostly be using the zoom lens in bright sunlight?

How close will you be to the action?

Or will you use the zoom in low light?

Or would you like your photos to focus on the subject while making the surrounding area blurry and out of focus?

Answering these questions will give you an idea of how much you need to spend.
 Dan Arkle 20 Nov 2013
I expect you mean a telephoto lens? Buy the canon 55-250mm second hand. You'll get some nice shots but start to realise the limitations and sell it when you get back for no loss.

Next up are the Sigma telephotos e.g. the 150-500 or 50-500mm , £500-1000. A definite step up, but its still hard to get really sharp images.

I'm currently on the Canon 100-400mm which is the cheapest most pros would consider using, and still not razor sharp at 400mm

And then there is the kit you really want, Canon prime lenses, eg Canon 400mm f/5.6 or the perfect safari lens, the 200-400mm f/4 lens with built-in 1.4x extender.

I have a Sigma 50-500m you could rent for the week, or buy it if you like it.
 Skyfall 20 Nov 2013
In reply to anonymous:

I'd seriously consider the canon 70-300 IS

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-canon-ef-70-300mm-f4-5-6-is-usm-lens/p10...

I got great results with a 400D. Image stabilised, very sharp, relatively cheap, long reach on a crop sensor body. I regretted getting rid of it actually - for a 70-200 L which really isn't as useful and the image quality is barely better (if at all). Yes the 70-300 is slow but IS easily compensates in most situations.
In reply to Skyfall:
> (In reply to blakey)
>
> I'd seriously consider the canon 70-300 IS
>
> http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-canon-ef-70-300mm-f4-5-6-is-usm-lens/p10...

+1
 Dan Arkle 20 Nov 2013
I've not used the 70-300 but looks like it would also do the job nicely.
 Skyfall 20 Nov 2013
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Just a cheaper (25% the price) but very underestimated and viable alternative to the two L's. On a 400D I think the non-L 70-300 makes more sense personally,
 Hannes 21 Nov 2013
In reply to anonymous: the tamron 70-300 vc is superior to the canon in most ways and costs less, that would be my suggestion. Sigmas 120-400 is pretty ok and will give a bit more reach but costs a bit more though less than the canon 100-400
 Andy DB 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Skyfall: I've also got good results with a 70-300 IS. Was rather pleased with this http://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_db/5882465678/
In reply to anonymous: If it's just for one trip, consider renting one?
 Stone Idle 22 Nov 2013
In reply to anonymous: Renting is a sensible option - and if you are likely to shoot early or late in the day (and you will) make sure you have a bean bag and a tripod of some sort because even with image stabilisation you will get some wobble at long range. Enjoy!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...