UKC

Milllstone first ascent?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lukem6 20 Nov 2013
So purely hypothetically, If a route has had a new ascent in a new style surely it us up for a repeat?

For example when an aid route goes free its a new route, and sometimes gets renamed.

So when Embankment route 2 was dry tooled, it was a new style of ascent for that route?
Some route changes(bolting/unbolting, etc) have been controversial in the past yet the new route style has stayed.

So purely hypothetically, and slightly in UKC troll style. Maybe a little serious... Is it in??
 jimjimjim 20 Nov 2013
In reply to Lukem6: I think he top roped it so the lead is still up for grabs. I think I'll give it a go as soon as it's in.
OP Lukem6 20 Nov 2013
In reply to jimjimjim: Personally I'm saving it for the solo
 Offwidth 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Lukem6: Lots of these routes were climbed in winter in the past; there is even a photo in the previous definitive. Not big nor clever in a modern context.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 21 Nov 2013
 Andy Hardy 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Lukem6:

When an aid route is climbed free, there has been an improvement in the style of ascent. Dry tooling a summer rock route doesn't count as an improvement in style, hence Engineers Slab, Snicker Snack and Bowfell Buttress haven't been re-named
 alooker 21 Nov 2013
In reply to 999thAndy: good point
 Jamie B 21 Nov 2013
In reply to jimjimjim:

> I think he top roped it so the lead is still up for grabs.

Not even convinced that he successfully did that. Witnesses described much floundering, flailing and sitting on the rope.

Callum's rash moment of f*ckwittedness continues to be given far more attention/credibility than it deserves - let's move on.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...