UKC

messing about with ski touring

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
A year ago I managed to get some Scarpa denali ski touring boots cheapy cheap but never got round to any skis. Now these will purely be for messing around on the hills round me the few times a year snow is good enough to mess about in. tours over cat and fiddle, goyt valley etc

I'm 5"10 and on the heavy side, 15 stoneish. Pretty capable downhill skier. What sort of bindings and skis (including length) should I be looking for on ebay etc.

I cannot stress strongly enough that these will be solely be for MESSING ABOUT so I am looking for crap gear at a cheap price but that will not be totally useless and unusable
Rigid Raider 21 Nov 2013
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):

Just buy some old Diamir bindings and mount them on your messing about skis.
 alasdair19 21 Nov 2013
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC): Anything will do.

I'm your size and have multi day toured on 1st generation fritchis.

Wide is generally better but wide has arrived later so you'l probably get
something 70-80 mm. Wide powder skis are unlikley to be relevant in the uk so no problems there, and the reality is powder is usually not the hardest skiiing you'll do on a tour.

Skking is massively consumerist but you can cheaply get kit that will match your boots and ski anything you like.

have fun

Ok. Will start ebay searching
 HeMa 21 Nov 2013

German Egay might be the place to look...

Quite a good selection there.

You'll prolly want skis to be in mid 180cm length and if you can something like 80 to 90mm in the waist.

Diamirs Freerides/Eagles, Silvrettas Pures, Marker Tours/Barons/Dukes would be the binders.
 alasdair19 21 Nov 2013
In reply to HeMa: do the pures still have issues with big people and breaking? I only ask cause he's my sort of weight
In reply to HeMa:

Google translate may take a hammering.... what is delivery in german?
 eschaton 21 Nov 2013
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC): i have no idea if the kit is any good or not, but have you seen decathlons range of skis? their own branded stuff i mean, theres a range from silly cheap to reasonable to usual expensive stuff like rossignol in there as well.

anyone more qualified/informed than me have an opinion?
In reply to eschaton:

Tbh even their cheap stuff is more than I would consider. These will be used once or twice a year to skin up a rocky hill. To then ski down it then probahly stored in a damp outhouse. Ive even been looking in army surplus places for 1990s retired army gear.... that is the level I am looking at...more than £100ish for skis, bindings and skins and I would probably not bother
 Doug 21 Nov 2013
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC): At least in Scotland, most towns have a ski club, most of whom organise an annual 'ski swap/jumble sale', there's often old skis for a few pounds which would be OJK for what you're describing. I've bought skis for under 10 pounds in the past in Aberdeen & Aviemore.
 Cuthbert 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Doug:

Cairn Gorm one was two weeks ago. Lochaber one on Saturday.
smr 21 Nov 2013
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC): I have a pair of Atomic touring skis (180cm) with 2nd generation Diamirs. A good few years old but skis are lightly used. I may have a pair of skins somewhere too. You can have them for £50 if you can collect from North Yorkshire.
 Blinder 21 Nov 2013
> (In reply to HeMa)
>
> Google translate may take a hammering.... what is delivery in german?

Lieferung or versenden
 HeMa 22 Nov 2013
In reply to Blinder:

And you can always ask in english, if they're willing to ship.

Its that english thing of not wanting to seem rude by being totally ignorant of someones elses language when you are infact totally ignorant of their language
 HeMa 23 Nov 2013
> Its that english thing of not wanting to seem rude by being totally ignorant of someones elses language when you are infact totally ignorant of their language

Beats me, english being a foreign language to me as well (like german). The thing is that if they wan't to sell, they'll reply and they don't then they won't.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...