UKC

Echo Valley, Haunted Walls

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
The Haunted Walls up in the Echo Valley were covered in earlier Rockfax guides to the Costa Blanca when they were protected with the Edwards ENP system. The Rockfax databases don't seem to show them now (or maybe I'm not looking properly). Does anyone know if this is still the case or have they since been bolted perhaps?
 Rick Graham 22 Nov 2013
In reply to Tony Holdsworth:

Hi. Some bolting has gone on.
The top pitch of Phantom arete had been rebolted in 2008.
Cracks of Tranquillity only has bolted stances so just take a good rack.
Some of the ENPs are starting to seize up but still offer reasonable protection. Take a 3 inch nail or similar as a nut key will not get to release a jammed rock 3 ( or no. 2 or no. 4 sometimes), all part of the fun, just like some of the threads with only half a knot.

All good routes.
In reply to Rick Graham:

Thanks Rick, that's really useful to know. Should be getting up there in early March.
 Rick Graham 23 Nov 2013

Just refreshed my memory on the route names.

Exorcist. No need for especially large gear. Friends to 3 but rockcentrics fit better.

Phantom pitch 2 really needs an old camalot 4 or friend 5 to not be scary.

Early March should be a really good time. I have only been there in December and its only a short time window then to climb in the sun. It took three visits to the base of the Phantom arete before I managed to get there before the sun went off it. Did the pitch with the shadow chasing my feet apparently, My belayer was frozen and had to climb in the shade. Worth the effort though.

Other good routes from the base (Senyera ) and further East on the Cynical Pinnacle ( next bump along ) another two minutes walk, approach from top.
 Rick Graham 26 Nov 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:

Essential toilet reading for any Costa Blanca multi pitch enthusiast is

"Senderos de la Roca "

Excellent topo photos, ideal to (colour) photocopy and carry up the route.

Martin Bennett 26 Nov 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:

> "Senderos de la Roca "

> Excellent topo photos, ideal to (colour) photocopy and carry up the route.

Sounds just the thing Rick. Is it just one volume covering e.g. Penon, Mascarat, Campana, Ponoch, Echo as well as further South for Cabezon d'Or, Leyva etc?
I don't suppose it can be had in UK can it? Local shops Benidorm/Calpe?

Rick Graham 26 Nov 2013
In reply to Martin Bennett:

Calpe to Orihuela.

Bought mine in Calpe but probably available on line, new or secondhand, though possibly awaiting a reprint.

> Sounds just the thing Rick. Is it ..

It is.
 Martin Bennett 27 Nov 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:

Thanks for that - I'm on the lookout for one right now, doubt if I'll find one before Dec 10th though. Might have to be on arrival
 HansStuttgart 28 Nov 2013

We climbed cracks of tranquility last winter. Very good route, away from the crowds, beautiful scenery, trad, go for it!

Thanks all - booking now!
There is also another very nice little local guide book.
112 Propuestas De Escalada en la Communidad Valencia - only in Spanish as far as I know but worth searching out.
Regards,

Tony
Post edited at 19:18
 Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 28 Nov 2013

> There is also another very nice little local guide book.

> 112 Propuestas De Escalada en la Communidad Valencia - only in Spanish as far as I know but worth searching out.

That was the original 'multi pitch guide' as we called it. We bought that when it first came out, about 10 years ago, and have enjoyed many great days inspired by its contents.

But wait until you see Senderos de la Roca. That is like 112 Propuestas... on steroids, and then some. And then some more!

It really is not to be missed!

Neil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...