/ Stud walls in the kitchen

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
goldmember - on 21 Nov 2013
We’re moving to a new house. We are thinking of rearranging the kitchen, this would involve putting up a stud wall; ideally it would support the weight of a kitchen cabinet, is it possible to DIY easily?
DancingOnRock - on 21 Nov 2013
In reply to goldmember: yes. The hardest part is skimming with plaster afterwards.
MattJP - on 21 Nov 2013
In reply to DancingOnRock:

Or you could tape and joint the boards, thats easier.
highclimber - on 21 Nov 2013
In reply to goldmember: I've just put up a stud wall for our bathroom. not that hard at all. just make sure you measure twice and cut once! and use 400 centres for the studs for extra strength.
winhill - on 21 Nov 2013
In reply to goldmember:

what are you going to attach the cabinet to?
craggyjim - on 21 Nov 2013
In reply to goldmember: I'd advise using pattresses to provide something to fix into. Panels of plywood or OSB fixed between the uprights that you plasterboard over the top off. Cover a large area and you can be sure of having something to fix into.
krikoman - on 21 Nov 2013
In reply to winhill:
> (In reply to goldmember)
>
> what are you going to attach the cabinet to?

I'd imagine the new wall.

Make sure you attach to the studs not the plasterboard
JMGLondon - on 21 Nov 2013
In reply to goldmember:
I'm thinking about doing something similar - decent thread here
http://community.screwfix.com/threads/advice-needed-on-kitchen-stud-wall-support.103470/#post-110168...
nniff - on 21 Nov 2013
In reply to goldmember:

Some friends of ours moved into a newly built house. A few weeks after they moved in there was a house-shaking crash from the kitchen as the cupboard contining the china detached from the stud wall to which was inadequately fixed. I believe that correct re-installation involved placing pieces of plywood in the partition.
winhill - on 21 Nov 2013
In reply to krikoman:
> (In reply to winhill)
> [...]
>
> I'd imagine the new wall.
>
>
> Make sure you attach to the studs not the plasterboard

So would you space the studs according to the fixings for the cabinet?

A 2" stud doesn't leave much margin for error.
csw on 21 Nov 2013
In reply to craggyjim:
> (In reply to goldmember) I'd advise using pattresses to provide something to fix into. Panels of plywood or OSB fixed between the uprights that you plasterboard over the top off. Cover a large area and you can be sure of having something to fix into.

Definitely do this - You can't depend on the studs being where you want them and under no circumstances should you load the boards :) - also you should skim the whole wall - Taping and filling the joints is really only half a job, and the thing's going to be up a long time, hopefully.

Fraser on 21 Nov 2013
In reply to csw:

Agreed, pattressing is the way to go. It's way more flexible and gives you some construction tolerance.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.