UKC

How long to roast chestnuts in an oven?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Al Evans 21 Nov 2013
Obviously I have done this before, and also in bonfires etc, but not for years. It's now chestnut season in Spain and I have bought a small bagful, I only have an electric oven, so I am assuming it needs the highest setting (250c If I can trust it), anybody any suggestions how long for? I know all about pricking them etc, help please.
OP Al Evans 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Al Evans: I can't believe nobody on UKC can give me an answer to this?
 d_b 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

I have done chestnuts, but have no idea how long to be honest. I just did it by the look and prodded them every few minutes.

This link reckons 30 minutes: http://homecooking.about.com/od/nutrecipes/r/blmisc38.htm
 LucaC 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Al Evans: Depends on the nuts - had some really fat Italian ones which cooked in about 20min at 180c (fan), had some smaller hard ones from Sainsburys which took 45min or so, and still didn't go fully soft. I usually score a cross to make peeling easier rather than just pricking them. 250c might be a little high if it's a very direct heat, better to have them cook longer/slower to get them nice and fluffy/creamy inside.
OP Al Evans 21 Nov 2013
In reply to davidbeynon: Thanks for that link, I just need to equate how 450F relates to 250C now
OP Al Evans 21 Nov 2013
In reply to LJC: Thanks for that.
Al
 deanr 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Al Evans: they come out pretty well after 2 mins in the microwave
 d_b 21 Nov 2013
In reply to deanr:

Heretic!
 lost1977 21 Nov 2013
In reply to deanr

so wrong in the microwave
 LucaC 21 Nov 2013
In reply to lost1977: You can simmer them in water too, or dry fry in a skillet, depending on the desired outcome and use.
 toad 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Al Evans: remember to score them, otherwise there is a risk of a new pureed chestnut lining for you oven!
 d_b 21 Nov 2013
In reply to toad: That's the best bit!
interdit 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

Score all but 2 of the chestnuts.
Put all together in very hot oven or a chestnut pan in the fire and listen.

When the second one goes bang they are ready.

20 mins or so, depending on size and age of chestnut and oven temp.
OP Al Evans 21 Nov 2013
In reply to interdit: Thank you all, and any suggested recipes?
 cookieman 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Al Evans: always buy small chestnuts,much better flavour,they tend to take to take to smoked bacon very well,as you're in Spain add a little quince and finish with some sprout tops for a cheap feast
 Bimble 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

15-20mins for me at 180c, until the cross cut into them opens right up. I was doing them on the day I'd collected them from the woods, so that may have a bearing on cooking time.

With boiling them, I do them for 10mins then let them cool in the water prior to peeling. Much easier that way.

(oh, and if you boil, peel & mash them then mix with cranberry, breadcrumbs, 2 eggs, some butter and shredded smoked bacon, it makes an excellent stuffing for pheasant)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...