UKC

Growing old is bollox

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 21 Nov 2013

Dad's just been diagnosed with Parkinsons. He's 79 so its not a bad innings and not over yet (by a long way I hope)but I'm soooo pissed off that his last few years have to be blighted with this sh*t.

JayPee630 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Removed User:

Sorry to hear that. My Dad got diagnosed with Dementia with Lewy's bodies at 80 (6 months or so ago) which is a mix of Dementia and Parkinson's. Grim. have ended up hoping he has a MI or drops dead of something else before the dementia gets him proper.
 Baron Weasel 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Removed User: Sorry to hear it mate. Cancer took my dad in a swift final battle 5 months ago, aged 66. Good side is he didn't suffer too much for too long, though he missed meeting his first grand child by 3 1/2 months. Try to enjoy as much time as possible with your dad while you can.
Removed User 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Baron Weasel:

Thanks. I just needed to vent really. Just a bit sad, that's all.

It certainly is - I've seen several close family members suffer from a variety of debilitating ailments in their later years - though thankfully there's been no dementia in my direct genetic line, however there is heart disease and the big C.

I'm no spring chicken, as I have passed official retirement age, but keep trying to age as disgracefully as I can (and as much as my body will let me)!
 Skyfall 21 Nov 2013

Unfortunately it's more or less inevitable that these things come along as they get to that age. My father is 87 now and has beaten prostate cancer, a heart op and now has mid-stage Alzheimers. The latter is probably the worst of all in some respects but he still has a reasonable quality of life all things considered. Anyway, the old trooper (ex Para) is battling on and I don't think he's beat just quite yet.
 toad 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Removed User: Yes - I lost my dad recently (bit older than yours) But it was very hard watching the inevitable processes of old age take a man who was basically fit and healthy and just gradually take him apart.

Growing old is indeed rubbish, but not compared with the alternative
 Sharp 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Removed User: It is indeed grim growing old, in response to the pain and mental torment of growing old my Gran (97) always says "it's no fun growing old...but it's no fun dying young either so you're buggered either way." I always feel it kind of sums up the attitude you have to have to survive at that age, it doesn't make one envious to put it lightly.
 csw 21 Nov 2013

Bad news - sorry to hear it

My Dad went fairly young - in about eight months I'll have officially outlived him. It was good for him, since it was quick and unexpected, but certainly my sister suffered - I often felt cheated that just as we were about to start relating as adults, that was it for him.

Anyway, I'm happy for him that he didn't suffer, but I'm hoping that in your case his advanced age means you've had good years together - Those memories are priceless.

Sorry if this is awkward - as you'll have noticed I have pretty poor people skills
 Skyfall 21 Nov 2013
In reply to csw:

> as you'll have noticed I have pretty poor people skills

Not compared to that f*ckwit Xplorer you don't
 John_Hat 21 Nov 2013

Sorry to hear it but....

..one of our neighbours has parkinsons, and has had for about 7 years. Whilst there are times he does rant about it with modern drugs he has it under control most of the time and certainly still lives a full life.
 Dax H 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Removed User: A brighter side still is my Uncle, he was diagnosed 12 years ago and though he has the odd bad day the majority of the time the drugs keep it under control.
He was diagnosed at 43 though and age maybe a factor.
 DaveHK 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Sharp:my Gran (97) always says "it's no fun growing old...but it's no fun dying young either so you're buggered either way."

My Gran says "Enjoy yersel when yer young cause you'll not when you you're old"
Removed User 22 Nov 2013

Thanks for all of the replies. Part of the problem is that I live in Canada and Dad lives in the UK. My Mum and Sister are still there but this might make travel a little more difficult for him and I know he loves to visit.

I do realise that this is probably the least debilitating (sp?) of the nasty things he could have got but all the same, it would have been nice for him if he didn't have to go through any of it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...