UKC

New Wheels

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ian Bentley 21 Nov 2013
Executive sumamry: I'm in need of a new rear wheel for my mtb, choosing between mavic crossride ub and a merlin cycles hand build mavic xc717 on xt hub? so factory vs handbuild for cheapish v brake wheel. I'm open to other options if people have suggestions.

Details: running a giant XTC C1 carbon hardtail with v brakes. I'm a bit of a weight weenie and on a bit of a budget. I ride XC on local trails, nothing too extreme but like some nice red run single track. I wouldn't be opposed to running discs but wouldn't want to sacrifice the weight saving of V brakes, so would want to get good (light) wheels and brakes but can't afford to do it all in one hit. so given that my freehub has just packed up and the bearings and cones have been long gone on both wheels i'm looking to get a new rear v brake wheel soon then in january sales maybe get a disc front wheel and brake since the majority of braking is done with the front so think this will give me a best of both setup.
 Dangerous Dave 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Ian Bentley: Are discs actually any heavier? There are a million times better thats for sure. The rim will be lighter as it doesn't need a braking surface and reducing weight out at the edge of the wheel is far more important than removing it from the wheel centre where the disc would be.
What is your budget? I would buy a hope hub, the pro 3's which i think are lighter than pro 2's were on sale somewhere. Not sure on what rim you should buy.
 martinph78 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Ian Bentley: I've had two sets of crossrides, and my mate runs them also. You really can't go wrong for the money (wait for them to be on offer at CRC or Wiggle). Strong, light, and true.
OP Ian Bentley 22 Nov 2013
In reply to Dangerous Dave: Thanks Dave. I thought v brake wheels were significantly lighter for same cost but your comment made me look again and I may be wrong! and like you say, where the weight is makes a difference. Think I've been looking at wheels so much i can't see the wood for the trees!

I guess the real reason is the cost. My budget would be in the region of £100 per wheel and ideally as little as possible for decent brakes, but my basic understansing from reviews etc is that cheap discs are rubbish and will need lots of maintenance and setting up? Having always ridden v brakes i'm not too clued up on this.

So i guess that as i want to get riding soon as, i was thining of getting a v brake rear to last me until i can afford the disc front wheel with brake and then upgrade the rear at a later date. but maybe i'd be better getting the rear disc wheel and a cheapo disc brake and upgrade this at a later date.... decisions decisions!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...