UKC

New Canon 'star trail' mode

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Colin Wells 21 Nov 2013
This may be a bit too soon to ask, given that the Canon S120 and G16 have only been out for a couple of months or so, but on the off-chance...

Has anyone had a chance to try out either of these cameras using the new 'star trail' mode?

And if so, how did you fare?

Just curious! - cheers for any info,

Colin
 d_b 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Colin Wells:

Not used it, but coincidentally I wrote some star trail stacking software last night.

My guess is that it is essentially taking images on an interval timer, and blending each new pic as it comes in. I would expect the same results as you get with software, but without having to copy dozens of images off your memory card.

andi turner 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Colin Wells: I always use startrails.de works a treat and very straight forward
 d_b 21 Nov 2013
In reply to andi turner:

First decent image from the code I wrote yesterday:

http://www.spectral3d.co.uk/misc/home_small.jpg
 Alex Slipchuk 22 Nov 2013
In reply to Colin Wells: you don't need it.

http://www.startrails.de/html/software.html

I use ths with g9 and a 10 quid shutter release screw in adapter for cable release and set camera to continious mode. It also allows you to make hd video by taking 2m images
 Dan Arkle 22 Nov 2013
You can avoid the cable release by getting chdk software installed on your canon. Its free and well worth the effort.
 Dan Arkle 22 Nov 2013
Startrails.de is well regarded, however I've got better results from Starstax.
 d_b 22 Nov 2013
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Just looked it up. What is it with germans writing star trail tools?

I quite like building my own stuff, so I will fly the flag for blighty in this obviously competitive area
 Dan Arkle 22 Nov 2013
Hi colin, your program sounds good and that sample looks great.
I have an idea for a software that would be new and really helpful in this field whick is to find a way to make magic lantern or chdk minimise downtime when shooting. Eg to have a precise intervalometer allowing you to set 10 second exposures by every 10.16 secs or so. Possibly this could be achieved while removing the mirror flap and even the shutter movement.

d_b 22 Nov 2013
In reply to Dan Arkle:

I hit that problem with the intervalometer in my d7000. Best I could do was 1 second gaps.

It's fair to say that the intervalometer in the d7000 is *awful*, and the 5 quid job I got from amazon to use with my old camera was more intuitive and gave consistently better results!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...