UKC

The Bad Step Crinkle Crags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AdCo82 21 Nov 2013
What is it like to down climb?

Is it best avoidable if damp / icey when soloed?
In reply to An Triubhas: From memory, it's easy enough to walk round it if you don't fancy down climbing it, which is straightforward enough really. It's been a few years since I last did it but I don't expect it will have changed much.

T.
Tim Chappell 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

It's now got a steel ladder, croquet hoops, and a rope up it as thick as your arm
OP AdCo82 21 Nov 2013

I'd like to down climb it. I've just heard there's been a few casualties / folk stuck!!!
In reply to Tim Chappell: Has it? I shall rush back to see, pausing only to complete a risk assessment and equip myself with the latest appropriately certificated safety trousers. You can't be too careful....

T.
Tim Chappell 21 Nov 2013

'Course, by now it might be completely banked out.
 martinph78 21 Nov 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

There's a couple of ways down it. Certainly easy enough and safe enough not to be restricted for fell races. Alternatively there's a path that cuts back to the left just before you get to the bad step.

ALC
Tim Chappell 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Martin1978:

Anyone here climbed the Riffelhorn? There's at least one steep, polished corner on the easiest route up that hill which is MILES harder than the Bad Step, and no one ever talks about it. Because in the Alps, we're Real Men. We don't sit about whinging like Wainwright and co. We MTFU and get on with it.
 Skol 21 Nov 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:
My old Border Terrier did it. RIP Mutley.
 Katie86 21 Nov 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

Same with anything. I wouldn't say avoid just be carefull.
The top can be very slippy especially when icy.
The bottom is steep if it's snowy as it seems to build in the gully.

Bad step taken 2nd Jan 2009
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/18070_533927700547_3...

I've seen gorgeous views up there
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/18070_533912451107_8...

And nothing...
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/18070_533912401207_1...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/18070_533912391227_6...

All those photo's were taken on the same day.
OP AdCo82 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Martin1978:

Ah there are some kn*bs on here!!!!

Thanks for the handy advice folks!
 Skol 21 Nov 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:
Seriously.
It's only a short spurt. I don't climb above Vs. It does depend on your ability and confidence. If it was wet I may avoid the down climb. As I remember it from the nineties it was easy up and a little bit harder down. My dog did down jump it and didn't die there. It may be polished now . As with everything in the hills, it's a judgement call by you at the time. If it's claggy , you would do well to find the top anyway.
Good luck. Don't be on Grough.
 KevinJ 21 Nov 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:
Been over the bad step a few times and most recently downclimbed in the wet. A few weeks ago.
No real problems, good footholds, and decent handholds if you remember to keep your hands low.
If descending when icy, the top of the block is a bit slippy but in my opinion not a major drama if careful. If you get to it and don't fancy it, then there is a grassy trod to the left if facing down, which is visible if you go back up a couple of metres.
J1234 21 Nov 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: Why are you doing it that way round anyway, the walk the other way is probably better with the Pikes to your right and the Scafells off to your left giving arguably superior views, and you get to Scramble up the bad step rather than slither down it. Just wondering like.
 Skol 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell:
Valderee, valderrah, with a rucksack on my back
simmcc 21 Nov 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: I was up on the Crinkle crags 7 days ago, The bad step is fine if your confident, if not they is a path/route around the back which you can take, bearing in mind it was covered in ice last week.
 martinph78 21 Nov 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: And there are some drama queens...

Instead of throwing insults take a look at the photo I linked to, and ask yourself where you can get stuck on it? Yes, you could fall off, but stuck? Stuck means unable to continue up or down. I ask again, where?

In reply to An Triubhas:

your profile says you can onsight HVS and III- its 10 ft of grade 1 scrambling with no exposure. you'll be fine.
 Only a hill 21 Nov 2013
In reply to sjc:
> (In reply to An Triubhas) Why are you doing it that way round anyway, the walk the other way is probably better with the Pikes to your right and the Scafells off to your left giving arguably superior views, and you get to Scramble up the bad step rather than slither down it. Just wondering like.

I agree, I think it's a better route that way round as well.
 GrahamD 22 Nov 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

It is certainly awkward to down climb even in the dry. In the wet or snowy conditions it can be quite thought provoking unless you have someone below you to make sure your feet are well planted.

I've never found the easy way round but in fairness, I've never looked.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...