UKC

The women Slaves of London. Circa 2013

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
andymac 21 Nov 2013
Just shows that behind closed doors ,behind the veneer of respectability ,and decency,in a street near you ;

There's all sorts going on.

Crazy ,sad world
 rj_townsend 21 Nov 2013
In reply to andymac: Not really. The reason these tragic events make it onto the news is because they are so incredibly rare.
 winhill 21 Nov 2013
In reply to andymac:

In a street near me? Which one?

Last month it was Salford:

http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/23/sex-slave-couple-jailed-over-deaf-and-mute-gi...

Srangely enough, more pensioners.
In reply to andymac:

How much do they cost? My house needs cleaning.
andymac 21 Nov 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

I don't think you have to pay them .
That would be silly.

Cost?

Depends what you want to feed them.
In reply to andymac:

Bargain!!
 Timmd 21 Nov 2013
In reply to rj_townsend:
> (In reply to andymac) Not really. The reason these tragic events make it onto the news is because they are so incredibly rare.

By all sorts going on, I took it as he means one never knows what might be going on?
 The Lemming 21 Nov 2013
In reply to andymac:

I read about this in Huff Post and I got confused about it. The article said that the Police had to take this very carefully and slowly. SOme how there were secret phone calls between the victims and a charity to ensure that the people came out at a specific time and specific way.

The bit which confuses me, is why didn't the Police go in and rescue the victims as soon as they knew that they were slaves?

Why the cloak and dagger, or did I read the story wrong?
 winhill 24 Nov 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

It's all very weird, a number of outlets are now putting slaves in quotes 'Slaves'.

Social workers were aware for over three decades of the dysfunctional "family" where three women were allegedly kept as slaves.

On Saturday police began door-to-door inquiries in Brixton, south London, where a 67-year-old man and woman, of Indian and Tanzanian origin, were arrested on Thursday. They are suspected of keeping the women in a state of domestic servitude. Police said that emotional and physical abuse appeared to have "been a feature" of all the victims' lives.

A local source claimed that at least one of the women had attempted to escape and that local authorities had been involved with the household. The "cult-like" nature of the relationship between the women and their alleged jailers meant that the victims had apparently previously vetoed any action being taken, making it almost impossible for the authorities to intervene. But there were thought to have been "explosions" of violence within the house, which at one time had six people living there.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/nov/23/authorities-knew-of-slave-fa...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...