UKC

Salomon Super Mountain 8

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TheseKnivesMan 21 Nov 2013
Does anybody still use these for UK Winter? I bought a second hand pair from here this Summer and they fit perfectly. I took them on a jaunt up Ben Lui a few weeks back, and the fact that they were so comfortable as a plain old walking boot for the whole day (apart from being a bit hot due to the huge amount of padding) worried me with concerns about their use for Winter/front pointing. I went on a walk around Cotswold outdoors' Grade XI,10 staircase with some Mantas, Freney XTs, and a few others and they were pretty unpleasant to walk in!

I know they have the front and rear welt for step in crampons, but I haven't tried them in Winter yet, have any of you? Google shows up very few reviews.
In reply to TheseKnivesMan:

I've got a pair of Super Mountain Experts, no idea how they compare to the 8s. I'm no hardcore winter climber, but they've had a few outings and I've got no complaints. Happy plodding up snowy gullies or fat ice.
ice.solo 21 Nov 2013
In reply to victim of mathematics:

i also have some experts that i keep for friends or as trashers.
very warm and tough, just a bit heavy and bulky compared to the latest (they are similar volume/weight to spantiks which are doubles at 3 times the price).
nothing wrong with the design tho. the rand peels a bit but easily fixed with goo. the welts are very good and more robust than many boots.

give em a good dose of proofing trreatment, especially where the leather folds for the tongue, and good to go. any crampon ive tried has gone on fine.
 Andy DB 21 Nov 2013
In reply to TheseKnivesMan: Yep I've got a pair & really like them. Again not an extreme winter climber but I usually manage to bumble my way up a III. Only problem I've had is if I lace them a bit to tight my toes go to sleep.
In reply to Andy DB:

Thanks guys concerns laid to rest. I'm a bumbly as well, glad to know they should see me through!

Just concerned because I had a bit of a 'mare a few winters ago using my comfy but bendy Burmas with some Airtech spikes after I didn't believe the compatibility hype. Was making my way gingerly down the goat track and I could feel my crampon coming loose from flexing too much, was about to stop and fix it but suddenly I was on my stomach and about halfway closer to the coire floor before I self arrested! Definitely believe the hype now
 Andy DB 22 Nov 2013
In reply to Andy DB: Should have said I use mine with G12's and have had no problems with crampons coming loose or popping off. Which is great compared to friends with mantas who seem to have all sorts of issues (could well be user error and nothing to do with their kit).
In reply to Andy DB:

To be honest, it was probably partly user error on my part due to a night's drinking in the Coylumbridge woodshed the night before.
 Nath 22 Nov 2013
In reply to TheseKnivesMan:

I've got Super Mountain 9's great boot for winter climbing.

Not sure how the 8's compare.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...