UKC

Peak Rock

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Wow. The stunning new book, 'Peak Rock - the history, the routes, the climbers', just arrived in the BMC office. It's a thing of beauty from cover to cover and a truly fantastic voluntary effort from Phil Kelly, Graham Hoey and team. It's a 400 page coffee table tome of photos and text documenting the cutting edge of Peak District climbing over the past 100 years or more. I was a bit sceptical when I first heard about this - but I'm not now.

Dave
 alooker 22 Nov 2013
In reply to Dave Turnbull, BMC:

any idea of when they'll be posted out?
 Offwidth 22 Nov 2013

Ye of little faith. I always expected something impressive given the people involved. We got a quick look at the bmc area meet but our copy we picked up has to go in wrapping paper for xmas. Must be masochists
 Shani 22 Nov 2013

Is Three Pebble Slab in it? If so, what grade?
 Team BMC 22 Nov 2013
In reply to alooker:

BMC shop orders will be sent out at the start of next week. If you have any queries email shop@thebmc.co.uk.

Suzanne
BMC office
 Graham Hoey 22 Nov 2013
In reply to alooker:

I think Vertebrate are getting their copies Monday so they should be sent out pretty soon after that.
cheers
Graham
 alooker 23 Nov 2013
In reply to Team BMC:

And Graham - thanks!
 BlownAway 23 Nov 2013

> Wow. The stunning new book, 'Peak Rock - the history, the routes, the climbers', just arrived in the BMC office. It's a thing of beauty from cover to cover and a truly fantastic voluntary effort from Phil Kelly, Graham Hoey and team. It's a 400 page coffee table tome of photos and text documenting the cutting edge of Peak District climbing over the past 100 years or more. I was a bit sceptical when I first heard about this - but I'm not now.

Hi

Thanks for that vote of confidence, Dave.

I'm hearing that the books are starting to arrive with people now. Hopefully all the pre-orders will be fulfilled within the next couple of days.

As far as the print run goes, I believe that over half of the first edition (of 2,000) has been sold, so if you're looking for a copy for someone for Christmas, it might be worth hurrying up and purchasing before it's too late.

Lastly, to everyone who has bought a ticket to the launch evening on 1st December (only around 10 tickets left I believe - see the Climbing Works web site if you're interested in coming along), I hope to see you then for what will truly be an absolutely unique evening.

Phil

Al Evans 24 Nov 2013
In reply to BlownAway:

Hey Phil, daughter arrived without book or contact from you, can you let me know how I'll get it now.
Al
 BlownAway 24 Nov 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

i sent you a message last week Al. I had a book with me at the meeting specially for you, but she didn't turn up.

we will get a copy to you. Email me your address.

phil
GeoffM 24 Nov 2013
In reply to BlownAway:

Hi Phil. Hopefully my copy should arrive next week
All the positive comments must have cost you a fortune

Lancs next eh!!!

Geoff
 Graeme Hammond 24 Nov 2013
In reply to GeoffM:

> All the positive comments must have cost you a fortune

Was looked really good and fat ( I didn't expect it to be so substantially with about 400 pages!) from what little i got to see of a copy at the meeting, can't wait for mine to arrive. Better than Christmas?
I'll be bringing a few copies of Peak Rock to the BMC Yorkshire Area meeting tonight in Otley.

£34.00 ish for BMC members.

See you there maybe - 7.30pm in the Dyneley Arms.

Dave
 Al Evans 25 Nov 2013
In reply to BlownAway:

It sounds great, even Geoff Birtles says its great so it must be stupendous, have you got my address now?
 BlownAway 25 Nov 2013
In reply to BlownAway:

Is he in it?!

jcm
 BlownAway 25 Nov 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

> Is he in it?!

Of course. Funny that, innit?!
 Mick Ward 25 Nov 2013
In reply to BlownAway:

Phil, that's one hell of a photo!

Andy iconically styles upwards, twixt light and dark, flanked by a doughty Yorkshireman and a doughty Lancastrian...

Mick
In reply to Mick Ward: Is the 't' stuck on your keyboard Mick

Mick Ward 25 Nov 2013
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

Never mind my keyboard! Is it still your proud claim that, despite running a bouldering wall, you've not yet ticked V8?

Mick (aspirant ledge-shuffler)
 Alex Ekins 25 Nov 2013

Picked up my copy today, its fantastic, got totally drawn in immediately, the Parthian Shot chapter is very compelling
In reply to Mick Ward:

I have had a few nicknames over the years but the one most apt at the moment is "Lazy Bollocks"
 Al Evans 26 Nov 2013
 BlownAway 26 Nov 2013
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

Climbing Works and Vertebrate are setting the bar high. Here's a link to just a taster; a caption competition... judged on the night. Get in!

See https://www.facebook.com/climbingworks for further details
 BlownAway 27 Nov 2013
Public service announcement:

If you have a ticket for the book launch and can no longer make it, please let the guys at Climbing Works know as they are getting a lot of pleading calls from people unlucky enough not to have got a ticket

phil
In reply to BlownAway:

I have just cancelled my ticket. Got dates confused and my daughter's 19th birthday family gathering is on (not her actual birthday, I'm not that dumb).

So there is now one ticket.

Sorry Phil, would have loved to have made it.

Alan
 BlownAway 27 Nov 2013
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

thanks Alan. Ill make sure CW are aware. Would have been good to see you there.

phil
 Mick Ward 28 Nov 2013
In reply to BlownAway:

Hi Phil,

My copy arrived yesterday. Thank you - and Vertebrate - so much. It’s obviously bad form commenting publicly on something in which you’ve had a hand but I only have a little hand and it was more of a finger really, almost a mono.

I always trusted Graham and you to do Giles proud but I just can’t believe what you’ve achieved. The quality is superlative. The portrayal of British climbing history has entered a new realm.

After Welsh Rock and Cumbrian Rock, Peak Rock was the missing piece of the triptych, essential as, so often, the crucible of hard climbing in The Peak has influenced events elsewhere.

Yet Peak Rock completes another triptych, that of Rock Climbers in Action in Snowdonia and Hard Rock – icons of their respective eras.

And it completes a third triptych, that of High Peak and The Black Cliff. The former took climbing history in The Peak up to the early 1960s. With an explosive rise in cutting-edge standards, through no fault of its own, it was outdated within 10 years. For 40 years it’s cried out for a successor.

In some ways however, it’s The Black Cliff, Crew, Soper and Wilson’s masterly history of Cloggy, which most resonates with Peak Rock. Again we see cutting-edge standards inexorably rising through the decades, to levels beyond the wildest dreams (or nightmares!) of the pioneers. Again we have routes which were cutting-edge before we were born but are now established classics, accessible to most of us. We have cutting-edge routes of more recent decades to which, with requisite dedication, we may perhaps aspire. And we have the very hardest and boldest routes of this or any other era, the province of the few, yet an inevitable inspiration to many.

It’s an eerie feeling thinking of Giles starting out on this brave venture, long ago. Now, with you and Graham doing the lion’s share of the work and with the help and goodwill of so many in the climbing world, Peak Rock is finally with us.

Mick
GeoffM 28 Nov 2013
In reply to BlownAway:

its just arrived, thanks BMC. If the packaging and initial glimpse are anything to go by its the Extreme Rock version for the peak with history
and anecdotes Well Done Guys

Jonny2vests 28 Nov 2013

They haven't reached the west coast of North America yet, kind of excited.
 alooker 28 Nov 2013
In reply to Graham Hoey:

And BMC

Arrived today, first look through and I have to say it's fascinating. Congrats to all involved, now I'm off to lock myself away for a few hours
 Solaris 28 Nov 2013
In reply to Mick Ward:

Great and worthy comparisons for, as you say, a really superlative book. Congratulations to all involved.

My pre-ordered, slip-cased copy arrived today but unfortunately sans signatures (as promised by the BMC) of the heroic team who put the book together.
 Andy152 28 Nov 2013

Just got home. Massive parcel in the porch. Opened it. WOW! Simply stunning! I’d only clocked it as large guidebook size. Complete with insert box. That’s a really special book. From a quick thumb through - beautifully laid out, great photos, attractive to read. Can’t wait to enjoy it page by page.

Brilliant book, so many memories.

Couple of niggles - one or two pictures mislabelled (which I'd have to go back through to find) and Burbage is in South Yorkshire not Derbyshire (according to my map at least).

Not a criticism; I view this book as an amazing historical work so facts to me at least are important. That there are so few blips is testimony to the team.

It's also a brilliant read.

Well done all involved.
 Al Evans 30 Nov 2013
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

I'm dying to receive my copy out here in Spain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...