UKC

Simond ALPINISM THERMAL INSULATION JACKET any good ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jamesclimbing 22 Nov 2013
Hello I'm thinking of getting a simond alpinism jacket http://www.simond.com/en/prd/_137 they are decathlon website for only £49.99 . Has anyone got one ? What's the size like ? Are they any good ?
 woollardjt 22 Nov 2013
In reply to jamesclimbing:

Have a read of this recent thread

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=568761&v=1#x7578408

I've just ordered one, hopefully have it in a couple of days
OP jamesclimbing 22 Nov 2013

Thanks for the reply I'm thinking of ordering one but not to sure of what size to go for ? What build are you and what size have you gone for ?
 woollardjt 22 Nov 2013

6' but skinny and normally go for patagonia kit in medium but large with other manufacturers. So I've ordered large, can always send it back, unfortunately I'm miles from a decathlon so I can't go and try them on.
 PN82 23 Nov 2013
In reply to woollardjt:

I see you have ordered one, great! I'm tempted to get a new one simply because i have the old dark blue one which is great but not as good looking as the new orange one! Hope you get to enjoy wearing outside on a mountain or crag!
 woollardjt 23 Nov 2013
In reply to PN82:

Just received it today, glad I went for the large and not the medium. Similar quality to my patagonia kit and an absolute bargin.
OP jamesclimbing 23 Nov 2013

Great I haven't order one yet sorry to be a pain I'm 6.2 and skinny what's the arm and body length like could you post a photo on the jacket I can only find one on decathlon
 woollardjt 24 Nov 2013

I'll get some pics up as soon as I can but I would say in large arm and body length ok but not as good as a medium patagonia fits me (but as we all know we all come in different shapes). If I went up to XL the chest would be like a tent on me.

The large simond jacket will fit well over my medium winter patagonia softshell but would be a very tight fit over my medium patagonia mix master winter jacket (but that's a ridiculously hot jacket anyway.
 AlanLittle 24 Nov 2013

See my comments of the other thread:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=568761&v=1#x7581674

I'm six foot and not skinny (80kg), fairly long arms. Large on me is a little snug on the armpits over fleece + heavy shell, fine over light insulation and/or thin shell.
 woollardjt 24 Nov 2013

Ok I have added a few pics to my flickr stream showing the sizing difference, I'm about 6'1" and 70-75kg depending on how many biscuits I've had. But I'm skinny with long arms

Both patagonia jackets are medium

Blue winter softshell over fleece and base layer
Grey mixmaster jacket

Orange simond jacket size large
Orange simond over blue winter softshell fleece and base layer.

Here is the link to the pics. http://www.flickr.com/photos/99189686@N04/

Personally for the money I'm very happy with the simond jacket plus the £200 saved over the das Parker can go towards more climbing trips

OP jamesclimbing 24 Nov 2013

Cheers for the photo I'm going to order a large
 scottidog 24 Nov 2013
In reply to woollardjt:

Hi, thanks for putting up those pictures. I was just wondering how small it packs and how you reckon it compares in terms of warmth to say a 100g/m2 primaloft if you've had chance to test it?

Cheers
 woollardjt 24 Nov 2013

Not had a chance to test it out but feels very similar to a old patagonia synthetic insulated jacket, maybe message PN82 he has the older version, by the looks of it there have been a few minor changes with the current model.
 PN82 24 Nov 2013
In reply to woollardjt:

I was wearing my jacket today on the snowy Scottish mountains during lunch and rest stops and it was fantastic! Any more questions just ask!
OP jamesclimbing 27 Nov 2013
Jacket has come today I'm really happy with the fit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...