UKC

Weather question: cloud cores

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Moles 23 Nov 2013
West Highlands MWIS for Sunday:

"...there may be a few pockets of persistent cloud, mainly cores, rarely below 750m and mostly above 1000m."

What is a core in this context?

When I Google it I mostly get computer jism, and some stuff about cold-core funnel clouds, which according to one site means "a vertically tilted rotating column of air under a rapidly growing convective cloud, but the atmospheric conditions are different than those conditions that produce typical funnel clouds or tornadoes".

Doesn't sound like a typical thing to hang around in pockets in this part of the world.
 Mark Bull 23 Nov 2013
In reply to Andy Moles:

Typo for "coires", I think.
OP Andy Moles 26 Nov 2013
In reply to Mark Bull:

Ah. Good spot!
drmarten 26 Nov 2013
In reply to Andy Moles:

Reading your OP the possibility of a spelling mistake never ocurred to me either. Doh. Having said that I tend to use the spelling 'corries' which I believe is not actually correct and may come from the folk band of the 70's. Gaelic speaker to the assistance desk?
 Mark Bull 26 Nov 2013
In reply to drmarten:

> Having said that I tend to use the spelling 'corries' which I believe is not actually correct and may come from the folk band of the 70's.

Corrie is a perfectly respectable English word. Coire is the Gaelic word from which corrie derives.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...