/ crusher ice axe trainner

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
climber34neil - on 24 Nov 2013
Anyone used these and have any thoughts, good bad or otherwise? Thanks
frqnt - on 24 Nov 2013
In reply to climber34neil:
I own them, my personal experience; I don't like the weight distribution and even with my heaviest gloves my grip is not that open. In theory, similar with weight lifting, fatter bars/grips build grip strength but I find that the activation required for something so fat is different to gripping an axe with vigour.

The concept is probably the second best to simulating an axe with an off the shelf item - second to the Schmoolz handles. If there is no way to train on actual axes and the Schmoolz are too dare; buy some dowel that is closer in dia. to your axe handles and make them yourself.
climber34neil - on 24 Nov 2013
In reply to frqnt:

Thanks for that, has confirmed what I thought, I was thinking that it cant be to difficult to make something. Could be a design technology project for the kids! Thanks again
Choss on 24 Nov 2013

can you not just use your actual ice axes, couple of Long slings, and the Nearest tree branch?
frqnt - on 24 Nov 2013
Assuming you have a beam/bar and axes; another option is to doctor a length hose pipe the length of ea. pick, cut it open down one point on the circumference and use it to cradle the entire pick element then hook away knowing your sharps are not becoming blunt.
Paul Crusher R - on 26 Nov 2013

If you want I can send you details of how to make them... 35mm pine dowel cut to 300 long, two 6mm holes for two lengths a meter long of 550lb 5mm paracord and you have a simple and effective device for training grip strength in a position you will hang from using an axe from. Light weight take them anywhere (not like an axe) Will probably cost you around a fiver in all, but then you have to source, travel, make, finish etc etc, or spend a tenner buy em from me and they'll come through the door in a few days..
ads.ukclimbing.com
David Bennett - on 26 Nov 2013
I got the schmoolz off here and they are fantastic, would recommend them

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.