UKC

The things you see on snowdon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
snorbie 24 Nov 2013
I was up on snowdon earlier today and it was pretty cold ...I spotted a fella having a wash by the summit cafe ! His friend was giving him the water and he washed his face arms hands and feet (but he kept his socks on )... Then on the way down towards the south ridge another bloke appeared in a t shirt with his jumper tied around his waist ... I felt a bit overdressed !
In reply to snorbie:

MArshalling a race once , stood at Bwlch Glas. people were coming up to the marker stone with 'Summit' Marked on it - the summit clearly UP THE HILL - thinking it was the summit.
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

People getting lost down the Pyg Track after missing the turn off for the miners trying to get back on track just because that's the route they came up on, not realising that if they were to continue down the route it takes them back to their car.
 Mr-Cowdrey 24 Nov 2013
In reply to snorbie:

The washing sounds to me to be part of the praying process done by Muslims. Kind of a weird place to pray but when its time then location is irrelevant. I saw a bloke in Cairo airport sneak behind the stairs at the security gate and do this.

Could be wrong though, might have just wanted to freshen up
snorbie 24 Nov 2013
In reply to snorbie:

I thought it might of been a time to pray thing...but he had a wash and then carried on up to the summit ...that water must of been pretty cold !
 FesteringSore 25 Nov 2013
In reply to snorbie:

I've even seen a train up there.
 Trangia 25 Nov 2013
In reply to snorbie:

One cold winter's day, with a deep covering of snow and ice, I once saw a guy on the summit dressed in warm winter clothing, with a woolly hat, gloves, mountaineering boots, crampons and carrying an ice axe.

Quite extraordinary.....
 Nigel Thomson 25 Nov 2013
In reply to Trangia:

> One cold winter's day, with a deep covering of snow and ice, I once saw a guy on the summit dressed in warm winter clothing, with a woolly hat, gloves, mountaineering boots, crampons and carrying an ice axe.

> Quite extraordinary.....

That's about as funny as a fart in a space suit.
In reply to snorbie:

Rock ??
In reply to snorbie:

What it needs is a few dead bodies to act as waymarks. It's a controversial idea, but it's been really successful in Nepalese tourism, and with the right management I'm convinced it could work here.

Of course, with the temperature in Wales being lower they'd need replacing every so often, but there's enough cyclists get killed in London; we could use those as a regular supply, I'd have thought. It just takes a bit of will and organisation.

jcm
 xplorer 25 Nov 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

> What it needs is a few dead bodies to act as waymarks. It's a controversial idea, but it's been really successful in Nepalese tourism, and with the right management I'm convinced it could work here.

> Of course, with the temperature in Wales being lower they'd need replacing every so often, but there's enough cyclists get killed in London; we could use those as a regular supply, I'd have thought. It just takes a bit of will and organisation.

> jcm

What's wrong with you Jon? I don't know how you've not been chased out of UKC town
Hirosim 25 Nov 2013

> People getting lost down the Pyg Track after missing the turn off for the miners trying to get back on track just because that's the route they came up on, not realising that if they were to continue down the route it takes them back to their car.

Must be nice to be an expert like you
In reply to Hirosim:

> Must be nice to be an expert like you

considering the group I'm refering to were on some pretty dangerous ground away from the actual path in less than ideal visibility, I'd like to think so
 martinph78 25 Nov 2013

Some of us have lost friends in cycling accidents in London and don't think that it's a laughing matter. But you don't need telling that, you DO think before you speak. That makes you a despicable person.

alexgoodey 25 Nov 2013
</flame>
<humour tag reopened>

I use examples like that, plus people in shorts and flip-flops up from Liverpool for the day, and ask young people if that's appropriate. The answer, mid-summer on an easy track, is yeah, it's fine but be aware of all the things that could go wrong. They're far more attentive of understanding bad decisions then.

Snowdon is one of the easiest mountains to climb in the world, as long as they stay in groups and on tracks.

alexgoodey 25 Nov 2013

I understand your comment is a joke. I lol at your comment. Just thought you'd appreciate that.
MrsSoupedePoisson 25 Nov 2013
In reply to Martin1978:

Really?

A huge swath of jokes must therefore be offensive (there's always someone who knows someone in a situation)?
 artif 25 Nov 2013
I think this is a lot to do with peoples ego's.

There you are, stood at the top of a mountain you've just conquered with all your goretex, down, ice axes and crampons, stood next to a 5 year old on the shoulders of daddy in a pair of shorts and flip flops enjoying an ice cream.

Takes the edge of it a bit

Mike Hewitt 25 Nov 2013

> What it needs is a few dead bodies to act as waymarks. It's a controversial idea, but it's been really successful in Nepalese tourism, and with the right management I'm convinced it could work here.

> Of course, with the temperature in Wales being lower they'd need replacing every so often, but there's enough cyclists get killed in London; we could use those as a regular supply, I'd have thought. It just takes a bit of will and organisation.

> jcm

Ask the fella who lives in the Heights' car park, he looks the part for that job.
 Tony the Blade 25 Nov 2013
In reply to snorbie:

> The things you see on Snowdon

A Vauxhall Frontera.
In reply to Tony the Blade:

> A Vauxhall Frontera.

Twice
 Tony the Blade 25 Nov 2013

> Twice

Vauxhall Fronteri?
In reply to Tony the Blade:

Vauxall Fronteriau
 Mike Hewitt 25 Nov 2013
Oh and there was a dude running down barefoot last Friday.
alexgoodey 25 Nov 2013

I had two groups of fit young teenagers out in August with full gear and backpacks, so going slowly.. all were overtaken by families with toddlers (a total of 5x 2-5 year olds) up the Glyders, it was hilarious to see their faces.
 Brass Nipples 25 Nov 2013
In reply to the weegy:

> That's about as funny as a fart in a space suit.

Does anyone hear you fart in space?
 Trevers 25 Nov 2013
In reply to Trangia:

> One cold winter's day, with a deep covering of snow and ice, I once saw a guy on the summit dressed in warm winter clothing, with a woolly hat, gloves, mountaineering boots, crampons and carrying an ice axe.

> Quite extraordinary.....

I saw two of these last year. Including myself, that made 3. What are the chances of us all happening to be there at the same time?
 Billhook 25 Nov 2013
In reply to snorbie:

Railway up Snowdon?
Cafe' up Snowdon?

And your surprised to see guys in T, shirts washing, flip flops, high heels, shorts?

Neil Williams 25 Nov 2013
In reply to Dave Perry:

It's when you see them walking up because it must be OK if you can get the train up!

Or worse, train up, walk down.

Neil
 Billy the fish 25 Nov 2013
In reply to snorbie:

> I was up on snowdon earlier today ....... another bloke appeared in a t shirt with his jumper tied around his waist ... I felt a bit overdressed !

Just your average Geordie.
 Fat Bumbly2 25 Nov 2013

Focsal Ffronteriau?

Saw a wonderful Brocken up there once - the other 300 at the summit were probably wondering why the random was waving at the clouds and later read that this was a "rare phenomonon".
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:

> Focsal Ffronteriau?
Doesn't there need to be a hat on that letter a in ffocsal?

> Saw a wonderful Brocken up there once - the other 300 at the summit were probably wondering why the random was waving at the clouds and later read that this was a "rare phenomonon".

I had one of those on the N ridge of Tryfan earlier this year.
Hirosim 26 Nov 2013
In reply to Mike Hewitt:

> Oh and there was a dude running down barefoot last Friday.

Don't tell 'high climber' he would have to lecture him on the use of sturdy mountain boots
In reply to Hirosim:

> Don't tell 'high climber' he would have to lecture him on the use of sturdy mountain boots

Nah, flip flops are the way forward or even barefoot. perfectly acceptable.
 Simon Preuss 26 Nov 2013

> Nah, flip flops are the way forward or even barefoot. perfectly acceptable.

Lots of the porters in the Himalayas wear flipflops, and they're carrying huge loads via straps on their foreheads.

They're professionals working in the mountains, so it MUST be alright...
In reply to Simon Preuss:

> Lots of the porters in the Himalayas wear flipflops, and they're carrying huge loads via straps on their foreheads.

> They're professionals working in the mountains, so it MUST be alright...

Exactly, and they know where they are going too!
 Cardi 26 Nov 2013

> Doesn't there need to be a hat on that letter a in ffocsal?

> I had one of those on the N ridge of Tryfan earlier this year.

Maybe even Focsôl, although you sound a bit Llyn Peninsula if you emphasise it like that

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...