/ Ice Climbing in Austria

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
tonyaitch - on 25 Nov 2013
Hi
I've found a few posts about venues for ice-climbing in Austria, but so far none has mentioned conditions and times. Does anyone have any info on likely/normal (global warming notwithstanding) conditions in Otz around New Year/start of January? Or best locations in Austria at that time of year?
Many thanks.
Tony
The Bushman on 25 Nov 2013
In reply to tonyaitch:

Do more research. Austria is in my opinion and many others, likely the best allround ice destination. Forget Conye, Norway etc. Loads and loads of choice. Because of different venues I.e altitude and aspect in ten years we have never struggled to find climbing and almost never que. If you expect to be handed what's in it not, I suggest learning some German and Google climbing sites. There is a lot if up to date reports, if you still struggle, buy the local ice climbing guide and take a punt and have an adventure!
matejn - on 26 Nov 2013
In reply to tonyaitch:

Badgastein (ice arene) is also very good place for ice climbing (Mordor, Supervisor). Best time is December and January.
John W - on 26 Nov 2013
In reply to matejn:

Another vote for the Gasteinertal

JW
cyberpunk - on 26 Nov 2013
In reply to tonyaitch:
We got very good conditions last year in Tyrol. About 6 weeks from end Jan. It has snowed today quite a bit. Bad gastien is very good cause its high and in the shade and the routes are long. If you get jipped and the ice is crap you have good skiing.
cliff shasby - on 26 Nov 2013
In reply to tonyaitch:

Maltatal is worth a visit....
matejn - on 26 Nov 2013
In reply to cyberpunk:

Are you a local from around Bad gastain?
ads.ukclimbing.com
tonyaitch - on 26 Nov 2013
In reply to matejn:

Thanks Matejn, Cliff, Cyberpunk and John W for helpful info

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.