UKC

A question for skiers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 csw 25 Nov 2013
I have a pair of downhill skis that I acquired in about 1986 - Since then they've been stored in their bag, in my attic - they still appear to be in good condition they're Kastle RX 210's with [I think] salomon 727 bindings - I traded them for a pair of binocs from a guy on the unit ski team, but I never got round to using them.

Anyway, I hate to throw stuff away, but on the other hand these things are almost 30 years old - Is it conceivable they might be of use to someone, or should I stick them out with the rubbish?
 Rob Exile Ward 25 Nov 2013
In reply to csw:

Heartbreaking, ain't it? The technical term for what you have is 'planks'.
 DaveHK 25 Nov 2013
In reply to csw:

You could make the offer but essentially they will be useless as equipment and technique have changed a bit since then.
OP csw 25 Nov 2013
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> Heartbreaking, ain't it? The technical term for what you have is 'planks'.

Well - it's not like they cost me anything really - the binocs, I picked up in the rubble after RUC Andersonstown got blown up - but I have real problems throwing stuff away - it's a major character flaw.

Anyway I guess they go out for the binmen - thanks for the replies anyway guys...
 Scomuir 25 Nov 2013
In reply to csw:

They could form the basis of an exciting sledge?
 Trangia 25 Nov 2013
In reply to csw:

I had the same problem a couple of years ago when I tried to sell a pair of 2 m GS skis. Nobody wanted them!

They were in such good nick that I took them on a final holiday to the Italian Alps over Christmas 2011 where I enjoyed a week of superb fast piste skiing (they were crap off piste and too long for moguls which are all made by short skis). Then on my return I put them out with the dustbin....it broke my heart but I needed the space.

So my advice is go out and have a final fling with them, then leave them behind.
 Billhook 25 Nov 2013
In reply to csw:

They will make an excellent base for a brilliant sledge though!
 pdone 25 Nov 2013
In reply to csw:

Last week, by means of this forum, I managed to give away four pairs of skis, two of which were of a similar age to yours. They were 'snapped up' within 24 hours.
 Chris the Tall 25 Nov 2013
In reply to Dave Perry:

I've been thinking about that with an old pair I've got, along with a sledge I made when I was 15.

I reckon it would be absolutely lethal though !
OP csw 25 Nov 2013
In reply to pdone:

Well - I can wait 24 hours, but there's no way I'll ever use them again
paulmo101 25 Nov 2013
In reply to csw:

Hi

I have made a number of "Super sledges" out of old skis and they are very fast. I have picked up redundant skis from ebay for as little as £1.00/pair but have had great fun making my sledges. With a basic ability to cut and weld steel it usually takes me around 8 hours total. I have built about 10 sledges and I`m now waiting for this years snow to have a wander up to my local golf course with my latest effort.

Cheers

Paul
In reply to paulmo101:

Sounds fun, you should post some pics of your creations Paul.
 Billhook 25 Nov 2013
In reply to csw:

The other thing you could try to make is a ski bicycle. I rember a guy working the lifts on the cairngorm ski slopes used a pair do skis replacing the wheels on his bike. He could fly down hill on them!,,
OP csw 25 Nov 2013
In reply to Dave Perry:

I think you'd need engineering skills that I don't have - I have visions of a headstone bearing the inscription "No way was that ever going to work"

If anyone has a use for them and can collect them I'd be happy to hand them over, but it looks like they're off to the tip
 Andrew Lodge 25 Nov 2013
In reply to csw:
I'm told the best way to make a sledge out of old skis is to get hold of one of those mini trampolines about 3 feet across that have 6 legs.
Remove and discard two legs.
Fasten the skis to the remaining 4 legs.

Climb to the top of a hill and bounce your way down, very quickly.

Don't blame me when you end up in A&E but it is tempting. I have some old skis, where can I get a trampoline?
 Babika 26 Nov 2013
In reply to csw:

Put them on Freecycle. Its brilliant.

Even saves you a trip to the dump as someone comes to your house to collect them. I've got rid of the most ridiculous things on Freecycle... Like you I much prefer it if someone uses the stuff - for anything - rather than it goes to landfill
OP csw 26 Nov 2013
In reply to Babika:

Good idea - I think we could have a winner
 French Erick 26 Nov 2013
In reply to Scomuir:
> (In reply to csw)
>
> They could form the basis of an exciting sledge?

My thoughts exactly. I like your thinking sir!
 Scomuir 26 Nov 2013
In reply to French Erick:

I'm saving up bits, including a broken ski, for this very purpose. Would only be able to use it where there was a huge runout
paulmo101 26 Nov 2013
In reply to Simon

How do I post photos onto the forum?

Cheers

Paul

OP csw 26 Nov 2013
In reply to paulmo101:

Put it on facebook or flickr and post the link?
 woolsack 26 Nov 2013
In reply to csw:

You could have a go at this youtube.com/watch?v=G5dOB3VSyC8&
paulmo101 28 Nov 2013
In reply to csw:

Hi Folks

Sorry i`m not on fickr or facebook but I can email a pic to anybody who wants one.

Cheers

Paul

Shearwater 28 Nov 2013
In reply to paulmo101:

> How do I post photos onto the forum?

Stick em into your gallery and then post the link here? See the 'PHOTOS' menu in the page header, and the 'My Photo Gallery' link. It'll be http://www.ukclimbing.com/photos/author.html?id=172230 for you, I suspect. You can then use the 'Add a photo' to upload yer pics.
paulmo101 29 Nov 2013
In reply to Shearwater:

Hopefully I`ve posted a pic and waiting approval - I will post the link if Ok.

Cheers

Paul
aligibb 01 Dec 2013
In reply to csw:

they also make good benches and tables... I'd come collet them but am in the alps so a bit far. Hope they go somewhere other than landfill!
paulmo101 22 Dec 2013
Pic of sledge is now on line

http://www.ukclimbing.com/photos/author.html?id=172230

Cheers

Paul

OP csw 22 Dec 2013
In reply to paulmo101:

Nice I assume the handles are for steering/braking?
paulmo101 22 Dec 2013
In reply to csw:

Hi
Yes the handles are for braking/steering. There are locking nuts on the pivot for the handles and these are usually pinched up to provide an amount of friction to keep the handles at the top and vertical when in use.
I just set it up quick for a photo.

Cheers

Paul

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...