UKC

Ski Mounted Go Pro

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
gavc0 25 Nov 2013
Hi people...
Just wondering if anyone has ever mounted a Go Pro to their skis?
Might try it this season but not sure whether use an adhesive mount or a screw it type..

any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers
Shearwater 25 Nov 2013
If you were wondering if it was done at all, see this, about 1:30 in: youtube.com/watch?v=8DTfGirT8eY&

If you were already aware of that, sorry Adhesive mount is probably fine... works for a bunch of surfers I know, and that's a slightly more hostile environment than skiing. The effect isn't so exciting that I'd want to take loads of footage like that, but if you particularly like it you may as well screw the mount on instead.
 HeMa 25 Nov 2013
In reply to gavc0:

I would not use the adheseve mount... It will hold up for a while, but it'll come of at some Point. If you'relucky, you'll get some funny footage and unlucky... Well it just cost ya a few hundred.

I will use a clamp kind of dealio in the future.
 london_huddy 25 Nov 2013
In reply to HeMa:

That's non-stick top sides for you.

Ski/Boot mounted is ok but pole mounted is the best (although then you're down to one pole but you look all kinds of awesome).

random_watcher 25 Nov 2013
In reply to gavc0:

I know someone who got quite a lot of footage from screwing it into a threaded insert in the ski and said the footage was much better than previously tried mounts (suction and adhesive)

Personally I think the best angle for skiing is from a pole mounted into a rucksack, gives a more interesting angle than helmet mounted.
gavc0 27 Nov 2013
In reply to random_watcher:

So how do you go about mounting it to a rucksack?
Got a mount for the ski pole, its a lil bit bike so I need to pad it out with something...
 Scomuir 27 Nov 2013
In reply to gavc0:

I use an old ski pole, and use the bike mount on it. Cut the tip and handle off, and put a bend in it (about 30 degrees - which was only a little more than the bend that was already in it, which is the reason it was an "old" ski pole). This then goes through the hole in the top of the rucksack for the drinks tube. To stop it rotating, I've bolted a length of old tv aerial to the bottom of it, to form an L shape. This short section lies along the bottom of the rucksack, and with things packed into it, it stops the camera rotating on the pole. I added some tape to the pole where I attach the bike mount, to increase the diameter of the pole so that it grips.

It works, it's light, and it was free!

Examples of it in use:

youtube.com/watch?v=YPV6-MU6V1I&
youtube.com/watch?v=QTp5WRutgZ0&
 woolsack 27 Nov 2013
In reply to gavc0:

In powder the footage is really quite boring
 Henry Iddon 27 Nov 2013
In reply to gavc0:

I'd advise using it mounted in various places - other wise an edit can become tedious. Some of this was shot with it gaffer taped to Glen's ski tip -

vimeo.com/17380721

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...