UKC

Rant of the day - Smoking while driving

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 drunken monkey 26 Nov 2013
I'm sure I heard on the radio last week that some group are calling for all calls whilst driving. Including bluetooth handsfree sets.

Now using a handset whilst driving is obviously stupid, but is using a handsfree set as risky/distracting as say smoking while driving??

Twice i've nearly some w@nker drive into me, because they have been fooking around with a lit cigarette whilst driving.

grips my sh1t.

and breathe....
 jkarran 26 Nov 2013
In reply to drunken monkey:

> I'm sure I heard on the radio last week that some group are calling for all calls whilst driving. Including bluetooth handsfree sets.

It's the charity Brake, they're a bit extreme from what I've seen of them.

> Now using a handset whilst driving is obviously stupid, but is using a handsfree set as risky/distracting as say smoking while driving??

Probably far more so since you're not just fiddling shoving something in your ear and clicking buttons you're also having a conversation without all the usual visual cues we rely on for clear communication and with all the usual technological gremlins.

jk
In reply to jkarran:

I've got a handfree bluetooth set in my company car. I can operate the whole thing with buttons on the steering wheel.

I'd say fiddling around with a burning cigarette is more distracting?

Maybe just me. But for some reason, it boils my p1ss.
Hirosim 26 Nov 2013

When I used to smoke, I had no problems enjoying a ciggie out the window.
Perhaps we should ban you from drinking your hot coffee from your driving mug?
Go get a hair shirt.
 LastBoyScout 26 Nov 2013

I've always thought that if you needed to stop or were in an accident, would a lit fag really be the best thing to drop in your lap?

And that's apart from the bastards throwing the ash/butts out of the window - you've got a bloody ashtray!
Removed User 26 Nov 2013
In reply to drunken monkey: f

Many years ago I invented a 'Hands Free' smoking device for fitting in a car (vehicle). Is this the time to launch it?

In reply to Hirosim:

I dont drink coffee whilst driving.
In reply to Removed User:

Lol - Dragons Den - GO!!!
Removed User 26 Nov 2013

I also converted the idea into a 'Hands Free' apple eating device. This involved the apple being placed a small rotating device that slowly spins around close to your mouth and you eat away until you reach the core. Winding the window down then triggers the device to flip and eject the core out of the window.
Shearwater 26 Nov 2013

Having a conversation can be very distracting, more so than smoking, I'd warrant.

That said, I have been in a car when the driver tried to tap some of the ash of the of his cigarette out of the window, and the cherry blew off and hit him in the eye. That was exciting.
In reply to Removed User:

Mate, you are quite clearly wasted in your current job.
 petellis 26 Nov 2013
In reply to jkarran:
> Probably far more so since you're not just fiddling shoving something in your ear and clicking buttons you're also having a conversation without all the usual visual cues we rely on for clear communication and with all the usual technological gremlins.

Aye - from what I gather the law hasn't kept up with the science on this one. A conversation without physical cues is too demanding to allow a decent standard of driving for some people.

A journey up the average UK motorway will confirm that for plenty of people having a hands free phone conversation makes their driving deteriorate
 teflonpete 26 Nov 2013

I find texting whilst driving and skinning up a big fat J on my lap whilst driving equally difficult.

Seriously though, driving is fraught with legal and illegal distractions. Smoking, hands free phones, stereos, make up application, consuming food and drinks etc etc. It's a wonder any of us get to the end of a journey alive. It's one of the reasons that motorcyclists concentration levels are generally better on the road than car drivers, less distractions on board the vehicle.
In reply to teflonpete:

Good point ref Motorcyclists.
Hirosim 26 Nov 2013

Smoking keeps you alert.
In reply to Hirosim:

So do amphetamines.
 Loughan 26 Nov 2013

Smoking in the car when children are also in there - selfish beyond all belief.
Ferret 26 Nov 2013
In reply to teflonpete:

Yep - lots of distractions out there... theres been lots of stuff on banning this that and the next thing etc. But I think it's all generically covered under 'driving without due care and attention'.

I'm pretty sure if you drive like a muppet while using a bluetooth phone they'll simply do you with lack of care and attention even though bluetooth phone is allowed vs using handset not being allowed.

Bottom line is its the drivers responsibility to be in control whatever they are doing, not to have a mandated list of things you are allowed to do and a list of things you are not.

Personally, seeing cars swerving around while a driver tries to light a ciggy annoys me as a non smoker who sees it as a dumb thing to be doing to start off with, never mind while driving but I don't think its necessarily much worse than lots of other things that are more scoially acceptable (but perhaps shouldn't be).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...