UKC

Dissertation Climbing Survey. Could you plz fill in ASAP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
SeanNugent 26 Nov 2013
Hi

My name is Sean Nugent I am an undergraduate student at the University of Cumbria undertaking an honours degree in Outdoor Leadership. My honours degree research project is looking at the participation in ethnic minority groups in rock climbing. I have included the link to my questionnaire relating to this topic.

The link to my Questionnaire (https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CYFDQHZ) it has 17 questions including the consent form and takes about 2 mins to complete.

Posted with permission of UKClimbing
 The Potato 26 Nov 2013
In reply to SeanNugent:

that link isnt working for me
 toad 26 Nov 2013
In reply to owena:

nope,me neither
 martinph78 26 Nov 2013
In reply to SeanNugent:

Linky no worky
 frqnt 26 Nov 2013
In reply to SeanNugent:
Omit the brackets; https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CYFDQHZ
 Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 26 Nov 2013
In reply to frqnt:

Done, despite your use of plz....

However, the question on ranking the types of climbing you favour is flawed. I ended up having to rank in order 4 aspects of climbing which I don't do, and in which I have no interest, which is clearly barking.

Good luck with your research!

Neil
 toad 26 Nov 2013
In reply to Neil Foster:
> (In reply to frqnt)
>>
> However, the question on ranking the types of climbing you favour is flawed. I ended up having to rank in order 4 aspects of climbing which I don't do, and in which I have no interest, which is clearly barking.
>
> Good luck with your research!
>
> Neil

Yeah, this for me too! However... in the great UKC tradition of everyone having an opinion about your research... This is a subject that has been done to death in Cumbria UKC dissertation studies. Your supervisor must have seen dozens and it seems a bit identikit - Have a think about how to make it a bit more original
 johncook 26 Nov 2013
In reply to SeanNugent:

It would be nice to have a properly compiled survey on this forum:
Q9 Other (please specify) No check box so it will not accept my answer so I have closed my eyes and picked at random, but have filled in the "other" comments box.
Makes a bit of a mockery really. You are going to get false answers!
 martinph78 26 Nov 2013
In reply to SeanNugent:

Question 12 is hugely flawed, I doubt anyone participates in all of those options. There should be a 0 "never" option for each option.

The whole survey seems flawed to me though. I'm sure the BMC already hold figures for ethnicity in climbing, so might be worth asking for the results of their survey.

Red Rover 26 Nov 2013
In reply to SeanNugent:

Scottish winter should be an option, as its different to alpine and it isnt really ice.
 Trangia 26 Nov 2013
In reply to SeanNugent:

Done but I agree with the other comments it's a poorly thought out survey and i doubt that it will achieve an accurate assessment of your subject.

I hope you will publish the results on this Forum in due course?
 waldenmatt 26 Nov 2013
In reply to SeanNugent:

Done, good luck with the research.
It would be interesting to see where people doing hard FAs in Britain came from, and where their FAs were: are people trained on grit for example delivering the majority of the hard routes on slate, or is it mostly local sorts working their usual crags (statistically speaking)?

Also, not sure about your Q. re what drives one to climb, do you mean why did you start, or what keeps you doing it? Could be clearer (to me at least).

Doug 26 Nov 2013
In reply to SeanNugent:

one of the most poorly designed questionaires posted here, I couldn't finish as I'd written an entry under 'other' for who introduced you to climbing but as I hadn't ticked a box the results weren't accepted.

Many of the other questions are also pretty stupid, no Scottish winter or Alpine
bust3r 26 Nov 2013
In reply to SeanNugent:

done.
In reply to SeanNugent:

Sorry Sean, have to add to the negative comments. we see a lot of these surveys here, and this doesn't really stand out.

it did have a fuller participant information sheet, but having written these myself it would have been more correct to say there is no benefit to the participants- and that's fine, research doesnt need to and people will participate anyway, for the 'common good'.

there is an irritating misuse of your/you're and to/too, repeatedly suggesting it wasnt just a typo. it doesnt really matter in forum posts, but in academic work these things are important, it should have been picked up in proofreading

i share the concerns over q12- solo is not a separate form of climbing, but a style of each of the others mentioned. scottish winter and scrambling should have been options, and there should have been an option not to rate some, i dont sport climb or climb indoors but have to pretend i do. this could have been picked up if you piloted it.

there is also a potential source of bias in that all this tells you is the ethnic background and ethnicity of the subset of climbers who reply to surveys on ukc. this may or may not reflect the ethnic background of uk climbers as a whole. are you going to distribute this elsewhere eg by handing out copies at your local climbing wall, interviewing people at the crag? even with these steps there is bound to be bias, but it will at least look as if you have recognised this and taken steps to mitigate it

good luck with the studies, but listen to what people are saying on here, there are a lot of people whose background is in research and they know what they are talking about,

cheers
gregor
In reply to Doug:

Agreed. Some inept questions requiring vague answers and, as you say, it doesn't even work if you have to use the 'Other' box. So couldn't even send it. How on earth this has anything to do with a 'degree', I've no idea (unless it's simply the first of many other questionnaires, and lots of one-to-one interviews.)
 Mal Grey 26 Nov 2013
In reply to SeanNugent:

Sorry, agree with the others. I have no idea what you could possibly learn from this, and the 1-7 preference thing is silly when I don't ever climb 3 out of the 7 options. However, I have filled it in and hope you get something out of it. I'd definitely recommend trying to find a more unique angle and think the questionnaire through a bit more.

Oceanrower 26 Nov 2013
In reply to SeanNugent:

I gave up when I got to the 1-7 bit as only 3 applied to me so I really couldn't see what meaningful results you'd get from this.

There were, however, a few parts before that i had to 'fudge' a bit.

Not one of the better efforts I'm afraid. People on here give their time freely to help out but time and time again the questions asked are absolute tosh.

And you really need to sort out their and there.
 Howard J 26 Nov 2013
In reply to SeanNugent:
Is this sort of thing really considered to be degree-level these days?
 KiwiPrincess 27 Nov 2013
In reply to SeanNugent:

I thought this would ask if you climbed with any minorities?
I climbed with new zealanders, Czech, french, brazilian, swedish, Hong Kong asian, this week alone.

BnB 27 Nov 2013
In reply to KiwiPrincess:

> I thought this would ask if you climbed with any minorities?

> I climbed with new zealanders, Czech, french, brazilian, swedish, Hong Kong asian, this week alone.

Surely there are more Brazilians than British?
 Trangia 27 Nov 2013
In reply to SeanNugent:

Funny not a peep in response to the constructive comments which have been made, and not a word of appreciation, not even an advance "thank you" in the OP. I am getting a bit fed up with responding to these requests, and ones like this do little to help those students who at least appear to be appreciative. I am coming to the conclusion that I am no longer going to complete "surveys" requested by those who approach their degree work in such a slap dash manner.
 Jonny2vests 27 Nov 2013
In reply to Trangia:

Yep, just plain rude. I'm not doing it because of that.
 Enty 27 Nov 2013
In reply to Jonny2vests:

Come on, 14 hours is pushing it a bit?
Can we jump on his head as well as kicking him while he's down too?

E
 Enty 27 Nov 2013
In reply to Jonny2vests:

Anyway he won't be out of bed until about 12:30......

E
 Doug 27 Nov 2013
In reply to Trangia: Long time since I was an undergrad and as a biologist never had to write questionnaires such as this, but friends studying psychology did. Fairly sure that before they were allowed to use them outside they had to test them on a few colleagues & then get approval of their thesis/dissertation supervisor. Seems that the University of Cumbria has no such controls as so many of their students post very poor surveys - maybe tools like Surveymonkey make it too easy ?

scott titt 27 Nov 2013
In reply to Martin1978:

> The whole survey seems flawed to me though. I'm sure the BMC already hold figures for ethnicity in climbing, so might be worth asking for the results of their survey.

Quite right, they do. The results of the 2010 members survey are online, as are the governments figures for sport as a whole.
SeanNugent 27 Nov 2013
In reply to SeanNugent:

Hey guys thanks for all the comments ill try and fix the questionnaire. Sorry that I have not answered until now but been at posted last night and been at work all day there is no internet at work and no mobile internet or infact mobile signal just home and able to check it now. I will read the comments again write another comment in bit thanks again guys and sorry for the problems.
SeanNugent 27 Nov 2013
In reply to KiwiPrincess:

Thanks this really useful to me thanks a bunch I will add to my next questionnaire whenever that comes round
SeanNugent 27 Nov 2013
In reply to SeanNugent:

Hey again thanks for all the comments and I am very grateful for those that fill in the questionnaire and also those that left me comments. I have taken on what people have said and will work on it thanks and for those new to this please keep filling in the questionnaire.
 Jon Read 27 Nov 2013
In reply to SeanNugent:

Wowzers. I think your supervisor should actually have read your questionnaire before they allow you to go live with it. It appears to me that an ethics board haven't reviewed it, or you've ignored their comments about typos and misleading information. Your supervisor should be named on the information page, as they are the chief researcher responsible for the proper conduct of the study. You, after all, are the trainee researcher.
Good luck.
 Jonny2vests 28 Nov 2013
In reply to SeanNugent:

Ok, done.

JL
 profitofdoom 28 Nov 2013
In reply to SeanNugent:

I did do the survey for you.
 Fraser 28 Nov 2013
In reply to SeanNugent:

Done, but Qu. 12 doesn't really break down your climbing-type preferences and types you participate in. For example, I don't ice climb or do alpine climbing, but my response could suggest I do but I just don't prefer it to those I do participate in.

It's a bit confused/confusing.
In reply to SeanNugent:

FFS. How the hell can anyone who doesn't know the difference between 'where' and 'were' be admitted to university to do a degree, at least one of the kind that require writing?

You obviously know f*ck all about climbing and haven't bothered to find out.

And your survey is useless because when you put 'other' in question 9 it won't let you post the result until you put in something untrue.

I don't know WTF an 'honours degree in Outdoor Leadership' is, and I've never heard of the University of Cumbria, but if this is a fair sample of the academic standards involved in both then the former is worthless and the latter ought to be closed down by the government.

jcm
 Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 28 Nov 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Come on John. Tell the lad what you really think...!
In reply to Neil Foster:

I suspect I'm telling him what all of us really think.

jcm
 John Ww 28 Nov 2013

So you weren't too impressed then?

John Ww 28 Nov 2013

> "To see if you're cultural background..."

> "and to find out if you're cultural background..."

> Yes unless you don't want it too."

OMFG!

> "This research study has been reviewed by the University of Cumbria"

Who will hopefully be hanging their heads in shame!

Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 28 Nov 2013

> I suspect I'm telling him what all of us really think.

I suspect you're right....

SeanNugent 28 Nov 2013
In reply to SeanNugent:

Hey guys thanks for the comments and I am sorry about the grammer and spelling mistakes in the questionnaire.
andyathome 28 Nov 2013
In reply to SeanNugent:

> Hey guys thanks for the comments and I am sorry about the grammer and spelling mistakes in the questionnaire.

Sean,

We all make f*ck-ups. But I think the concern on this thread is just how your initial fumblings actually got through to a final, public, version of an on-line survey apparently endorsed by a UK University.

I've created surveymonkey type things myself and know how much thought you need to put into the creation of the questions and the route through the survey.

And its GRAMMAR for Christ's sake!

Andy
In reply to andyathome:

yes, +1

sean, you've been let down by your supervisor on this one. it should never have got to the stage of letting this go out for public view until it had been piloted to iron out the glitches and been signed off by someone from your department as ok to use.

some harsh comments here its true, but sadly they have a point, this is meant to be research for an honours degree, and that just wasn't anywhere near degree standard. better to find that out now and have a chance to fix it than when you submit it and get a poor grade

but your supervisor's been asleep on the job, they're meant to be there to stop you getting into this situation,

hopefully with a bit of redrafting (and spellchecking!) it you can come back to us with it,

cheers
gregor
 John Ww 29 Nov 2013
In reply to SeanNugent:

> "I am sorry about the grammer..."

And so you should be.

God help us!

Rampikino 29 Nov 2013
In reply to John Ww:

Oh the irony!

"I am sorry about the grammer..."
 chris fox 29 Nov 2013
In reply to SeanNugent:

Done.
 teflonpete 29 Nov 2013

> I don't know WTF an 'honours degree in Outdoor Leadership' is, and I've never heard of the University of Cumbria, but if this is a fair sample of the academic standards involved in both then the former is worthless and the latter ought to be closed down by the government.

An 'honours degree in Outdoor Leadership' is pretty much the same as an 'honours degree in Anything Else that isn't a Proper Subject' from the 'University of Anywhere that isn't a Red Brick'.

Sad but true. There are many, many 'graduates' that can barely spell their own names, let alone tell the difference between their, there and they're. They get hired at my girlfriend's work with honours degrees in Sports Management from Loughborough university, to work as sales staff.

The legacy of Blair's promise of Education, Education, Education!

Dave Garnett 29 Nov 2013
In reply to teflonpete:

Ee, I remember when 'Redbrick' was a term of abuse!
 nniff 29 Nov 2013
In reply to SeanNugent:

Done. Despite the flaming, I've seen far, far worse.
 andrewmc 29 Nov 2013
I think some people are confusing 'student' with 'professional researcher'. Obviously there will be variations in quality, but who hasn't learned without making mistakes?
 John Ww 29 Nov 2013
In reply to andrewmcleod:
> who hasn't learned without making mistakes?

Someone who apologises for previous errors while compounding them with another (even bigger) howler?
 DaveHK 29 Nov 2013
In reply to SeanNugent:

Well I tried for you Sean, really I did, but it wouldn't let me submit the other option for Q9.
 Mike Highbury 29 Nov 2013
In reply to DaveHK: After the above I felt compelled to complete it but it appears to have been taken down

Blast

Dnmn 29 Nov 2013
In reply to Mike Highbury:

You can't get out of it that easily. Try https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CYFDQHZ
no brackets. good luck.

Trangia 29 Nov 2013
In reply to teflonpete:

>
> The legacy of Blair's promise of Education, Education, Education!

You mean Ejucation, Ejucation, Ejucation! don't you?
SeanNugent 29 Nov 2013
In reply to SeanNugent:

Hey guys thanks for the comments. Please keep filling in the questionnaire and again I am sorry about the spelling mistakes and the grammar. My supervisor has read and checked it but obviously he clearly missed some mistakes to oh well.
 Jonny2vests 29 Nov 2013
In reply to SeanNugent:

> ...but obviously he clearly missed some mistakes to oh well.

Haha, you're just seeing how far you can push it now aren't you? Aren't you?
 John Ww 29 Nov 2013
In reply to SeanNugent:

Ok, that's it, I call troll.
 Dave Garnett 29 Nov 2013
In reply to SeanNugent:

Done. Couldn't resist once I realised I was Chosen.
 toad 29 Nov 2013
In reply to andrewmcleod:
> I think some people are confusing 'student' with 'professional researcher'. Obviously there will be variations in quality, but who hasn't learned without making mistakes?

I think this is a bloody good point, and for what it's worth I think UKC's resident grump was far too harsh. I think sticking a questionairre out on UKC is always asking for a bit of trouble, and yes, it behoves you to make sure it's a good 'un, but I've seen worse here
 cwarby 29 Nov 2013
In reply to SeanNugent:

Cannot submit due to Q9 not allowing me to answer correctly and as previously mentioned Q12 being flawed. This seems simplistic for a degree.
Unfortunately, it seems to be par for the course for this level of education. A supervisor should not be checking for spelling/grammar; I expect my 10 year old to check her own work and encourage her to do so. Working in the NHS, we get students coming through who almost expect everyone to do things for them and inevitably have an excuse when they fail. Sorry Sean, I expect more.
Last gripe; I hate "hey guys". You do not know me and you are not a mate. I have a manager who says this as if she(!) is trying to be on our side. Professional people simply do not use this phrase - hint.
Chris
In reply to SeanNugent:

My supervisor has read and checked it but obviously he clearly missed some mistakes to oh well.

oh dear.

sean, fair play to you for sticking with this despite the negative comments. but between an honours student and a university lecturer you should know the difference between your and you're, it's pretty basic stuff. that your supervisor saw and ok'd this starts to look a little uncomfortable for the University of Cumbria.

if you don't mind me asking, which year of the degree are you in Sean?

and are you going to be distributing this via other channels, eg at climbing walls, or running focus groups to get qualitative data?

cheers
gregor

SeanNugent 02 Dec 2013
In reply to SeanNugent:

Thanks guys for all the comments they are all useful.
 Jonny2vests 02 Dec 2013
In reply to SeanNugent:

> Thanks guys for all the comments they are all useful.

And well done you for not biting
 neilwiltshire 03 Dec 2013
In reply to Martin1978:

I agree its flawed but that said, I for one, participate in all of those options, even if soloing and bouldering is very rare for me.
SeanNugent 03 Dec 2013
In reply to SeanNugent:

Hey guys a big thanks for helping me out the questionnaire is closed now

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...