UKC

Am I Scottish?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 26 Nov 2013
Born in Scotland, always lived in England. Scottish father, English mother?
T_Mac 26 Nov 2013
In reply to abr1966:

Born in England, to English parents. Lived in England for 16 years, Scotland for 16 years. Paternal Grandparents Scottish, step Dad Irish......
Wife Scottish with NZ passport. Daughter born in Scotland but lives in England. Who knows.......
 WJV0912 26 Nov 2013
In reply to T_Mac:

Am I gay? Always had my penis in a bumhole, not always a guys.
 Billhook 26 Nov 2013
In reply to WJV0912:

No, you are not gay. But with a reply like that, you must be an ar....ole,
 WJV0912 26 Nov 2013
In reply to Dave Perry:

Touché
Removed User 26 Nov 2013
In reply to abr1966:

Doesn't matter - if you can catch a ball, you're in the team
 The Potato 26 Nov 2013
In reply to abr1966:

Nationality is a funny thing - so long as there is a good connection, why not!

I wasnt born in Wales, have one welsh parent, I grew up in Wales and speak Welsh and will be Welsh till the day I die.
Removed User 26 Nov 2013
In reply to abr1966:

I am fully, 100% Northern Irish. Born there, mother from there, father from there, grandparents from there, sister from there......but I have an English accent as I was raised in England from the age of 8.

So, I am Northern Irish but the perception is I'm English and perception is reality

Anyway, it doesn't matter as over here they just don't get the difference.
Tim Chappell 26 Nov 2013
In reply to abr1966:

Maybe it's up to you what you are. For some people it is. Not for me: I'm unarguably and undividedly English. But my children have one English and one Jersey-based parent, and two of them were born in Scotland, and all of them have lived most of their lives in Scotland. So what are they? I think that's up to them to decide.
 RockAngel 26 Nov 2013
In reply to abr1966:
Born in Canada, lived in England since i was 6. Now been here 30+ years.
Now have UK citizenship & hold dual nationality. Electoral register says i am British not Canadian//British. This annoys me although ive traced my father's (Canadian side) back to Cornwall.
 buzby 26 Nov 2013
In reply to abr1966:

born and raised in Scotland, Scottish parents and always lived in Scotland but I want to stay British, vote NO, now awaits a flaming.
 David Barratt 26 Nov 2013
In reply to abr1966:

Born in England to English Parents, lived in Scotland since I was 1, I am now 24. I'd consider myself more Scottish than English, just wish I could shake the accent!
 David Barratt 26 Nov 2013
In reply to David Barratt:

And if we're adding the referendum to this, I be voting Yes (probably…)
In reply to abr1966:

Born in England to Welsh parents, lived in Wales from year one to 22yrs old, lived in England for 20 years, and own property there, lived in Australia for last 12 years and have dual citizenship.

I'm Cornish.

Why? Because I feel Cornish.
craigloon 26 Nov 2013
In reply to abr1966:

from the Scottish Government's White Paper today:

“British citizens "habitually resident" in Scotland on independence will automatically be considered Scottish citizens. This will include British citizens who hold dual citizenship with another country. Scottish-born British citizens currently living outside of Scotland will also automatically be considered Scottish citizens. Other people will be able to register or apply for Scottish citizenship on independence based on clear criteria.”
Tim Chappell 26 Nov 2013
In reply to buzby:

>vote NO, now awaits a flaming.

Why should you be flamed for saying what (to go by the polls) about 71% of the people of Scotland think?

Including me

dek 26 Nov 2013
In reply to buzby:

> born and raised in Scotland, Scottish parents and always lived in Scotland but I want to stay British, vote NO, now awaits a flaming.

Flamed for 'What'?.....the new slur word, a 'unionist'?
In reply to abr1966:

Today, UK identities are generally given official recognition via courts applying the 1976 Race Relations Act. The Act itself uses terms like “national” and/or “ethnic origins”. The term “ethnic origins” was defined in a 1983 House of Lords appeal ruling by Lord Fraser who said that for a group to constitute an ethnic group for the purposes of the 1976 Race Relations Act it must regard itself, and be regarded by others, as a distinct community by virtue of certain characteristics. He said that it is essential that the group has a long shared history, which they consciously remember, and a cultural tradition of its own. He added that a common geographical origin, a different language, a unique literature, a different religion and a feeling of being oppressed could be relevant. Objective analysis would reveal that the Cornish meet this criteria for recognition.

Fraser said that a group with sufficient of the above characteristics would be capable of including converts.

He stated: “Provided a person who joins the group feels himself or herself to be a member of it, and is accepted by other members, then he or she is, for the purposes of the Act, a member. It is possible for a person to fall into a particular racial group either by birth or adherence, and it makes no difference, so far as the Act is concerned, by which route he finds his way into the group.”

http://www.cornwallinformation.co.uk/news/?p=2501
 Andy Hardy 27 Nov 2013
In reply to abr1966:

Born in Manchester raised in Manchester, Wigan and Northumberland before leaving home. Have lived in the north of England in various towns apart from 2 years in Woking. I'm definitely Italian
 teflonpete 27 Nov 2013
In reply to abr1966:

Born in London to a British citizen (Polish, born in Italy) mother and English father. Lived in London and the home counties all my life.

I am a Latvian gypsy and will be voting yes for Scottish independence and yes for independence of the Peoples Republic of Yorkshirestan.
T_Mac 27 Nov 2013
In reply to WJV0912:

Seriously!? What a doosh.
 rogerwebb 27 Nov 2013
In reply to craigloon:

> from the Scottish Government's White Paper today:

> “British citizens "habitually resident" in Scotland on independence will automatically be considered Scottish citizens.

Is there to be no choice?
 Cuthbert 27 Nov 2013
In reply to rogerwebb:

I think there is actually but I haven't been able to download the paper whilst at work.
 rogerwebb 27 Nov 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:

It would be an enormous own goal if there isn't.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...