UKC

NEWS: Randall & Whittaker Break Staffs 'Nose' Record

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 27 Nov 2013
Staffs Nose Record Breaking Team, 2013, 4 kb

Tom Randall and Pete Whittaker have recently broken the speed record on the Staffordshire 'Nose' Challenge, set in July by Andi Turner and Pete Bridgwood at 8 hours and 41 minutes. Randall and Whittaker held the original record at 9 hours and 56 minutes, now holding it at 5 hours and 53 minutes... 

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68540
 lithos 27 Nov 2013
In reply to UKC News:

nutters

respect
 mattrm 27 Nov 2013
In reply to lithos:

Is there going too be a 'wet' and a 'dry' time then?
 DJayB 27 Nov 2013
In reply to UKC News:

How many routes is it in total?
In reply to UKC News:

Excellent stuff.

Presumably a solo round would be much quicker - is that barred by the rules?! Probably a good idea if it is, TBH.

jcm
 andi turner 27 Nov 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

No, you can solo what you like, even masochism Jon. I know how you like to get that one in whenever you can!

It's a bloody hard day out!

Would be great to hear some others having an attempt!

Suppose I should say "well done" between clenched teeth.
 jobertalot 27 Nov 2013

Sounds great fun!

John, i'll have a crack at this with you if you are keen?
In reply to andi turner:

I wasn't even going to mention it!

C'mon, Andi, you're not going to take this lying down, are you? When's the local rematch happening?

jcm
In reply to UKC News:

Oh, and incidentally, Dorothy's Dilemma in the rain - if DD is the one I think it is then fuq me, I'd have thought 'scarier than Meshuga' was not necessarily any exaggeration'. IIRC this is miles above an absolutely terrible landing and nothing much to hold on to, with plenty of time to think about it.

jcm

Solo would definitely be faster - they're not always the easiest / most predictable routes to solo though! I'm looking fwd to seeing Andi get the time under 5hrs next year as that's where any self respecting Leek lad would get it.

In reply to johncoxmysteriously: yup DD was really hardcore. I only just managed to second it. Even on the biggest hold on the route I was falling off.

In reply to Tom Randall - Lattice Training:

Well, in the dry you'd not have much trouble with most of the easier crack ones, I wouldn't have thought. Yours is an awesome time in the rain, but I'd have thought it can be taken down a lot in the dry. I'll get the popcorn.

jcm

Yeah I think it could be brought down quite a bit more. I'd love to see more teams attempting this - especially people thinking about Yosemite trips as it's perfect preparation. I'd almost go as far as to say it'd be a benchmark to work if you'd do well on a valley trip.
A Damp Dorothy's Dilema. God that sounds harrowing. Scary enough as it is.
Recon you'll smash that time next year Andi T? I recon you will.
 DJayB 27 Nov 2013
In reply to dj_brigham05:

I would be interested to know how many routes you guys climbed? 20 is obviously very different to 50.
 Ally Smith 27 Nov 2013
In reply to Jon Read:

Is that the same challenge? The link you posted says that the record is 3hrs 14min...
In reply to Ally Smith:

Pretty sure that's the list; not sure where the link gets their idea of the record from.

jcm
 andi turner 27 Nov 2013
In reply to UKC News:

5 hours should be the next target, that's less than 10 minutes per route for two climbers and getting between crags. Probably leaves you about 3 minutes per route climbing time.

It's worth remembering that not only is it scarier than Meshuga and harder than Century Crack, but also has been completed by less people than The Indian Face
 deepsoup 27 Nov 2013
In reply to lithos:
> nutters
> respect

Basically this. Both bonkers and awesome. ;O)
 Wft 27 Nov 2013
In reply to andi turner:

> scarier than Meshuga and harder than Century Crack, completed by less people than The Indian Face

now that is a headline!

luke glaister 27 Nov 2013
In reply to UKC News:

I had the pleasure of watching pete leading Dorothys dilemma that morning and still can't believe it was climbable. Piss wet with gear so far below u. It might be just as well to solo it.... mega respect to these two.
Luke.
 carlos2001 27 Nov 2013
In reply to Tom Randall - Lattice Training:
Wow ur just so cool and rad

Chris63 29 Nov 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Isn't it just great to see so much excitment and interest in Staffordshire climbing. Ace stuff.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...