UKC

Which Go Pro?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ally Smith 27 Nov 2013
There seems to be a huge number of different varieties of Go Pro.

Which one should i get? It'd be used for a mixture of skiing, kayaking, mountain biking and possibly climbing (not convince they'd be great for POV climbing video, but i've got a couple of ideas....)

And if you know of any deals going at the moment, that'd be great too!

Thanks in advance.
 ChrisJD 27 Nov 2013
In reply to Ally Smith:

What's stopping you just getting the HERO3+ Black Edition?

I'm currently a Hero 3 Black user and it is very very good compared with earlier models I've had (Hero HD and Hero2). Wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Hero3+ Black on the basis of my experience with H3B.

But you will need a good/powerful PC/MAC to edit footage, especially the native 2.7K
3arnotg 27 Nov 2013
In reply to Ally Smith:

i reality unless you are making a decent edit then a gopro silver edition will suit you fine. my edit which is on the link below is all on that camera:

youtube.com/watch?v=-ipejLXylHU&

have a look and it should justify what you need to get.
although the new ones offer longer battery life, you can buy 3 extra batteries for £12 and keep them on you if you need to swap over!

hope my advice is helpful!
 rallymania 29 Nov 2013
In reply to ChrisJD:

in addition to chris's advice can i add a couple of points?

BEFORE you spend any money go to the forums and do a bit of reading

http://goprouser.freeforums.org
in summry

A decent machine for editing
something like sony vegas (£40 to £60) for editing
spare batteries (wassabi power for example)
a couple of 32Gb cards... DO NOT BUY CHEAP SH1T CARDS go with the ones recomended on the forums, you will regret buying cheap cards
get a card reader!!! don't plug the camera into the USB port to copy files over
update the device firmware when you get it
format the card every time on camera before you use it

expect that sometimes it might not work

despite all that i'd still recomend the gopro as the camera to get either the silver or black 3+ but if you think you might use the gopro remote, buy the black as the silver plus remote is the same price as the black with the remote (daft but true)

oh and finally

you will become a "mount collector" add that to your budget. the chest harness is a "must" for many sports for example
 Philo22 27 Dec 2013
In reply to rallymania:

Absolutely agree with rallymania's points. Make sure your PC has enough power to comfortably edit your footage: lack of processing power totally killed my GoPro experience. Card reader also essential.
If you can afford it, I'd be inclined to go for the latest model as there will be much more help available on the GoPro site.
Best of luck!
 Philo22 27 Dec 2013
In reply to Ally Smith:

Just come across this, same sort of thing but a little better spec perhaps?

http://www.fujifilm.eu/uk/products/digital-cameras/tough-outdoor/model/fine...
 kermit_uk 27 Dec 2013
In reply to Ally Smith:

I'd go with the black. The built in wifi is worth it so you can use your phone to control and preview the shots.

I've got a hero 2 and love it, got some great footage out of it.

I bought a cheap battery on ebay and it last longer than the OEM one.

I bought many cheapish memory card all class 10 50mb/s read. never lost any data other than one when I didn't actually push the card all the way in, but I don't think you can blame the card for that. My PC has a card reader built into the front of it but i also have a little usb card reader that was a fiver and works perfectly. I'd agree with expensive mem cards if the stuff you are filming simply cannot be lost but I prefer to have multiple cards.

On the fuji I have an older version of that camera and although it looked perfect on the tin, the video was simply appaling, it never focused properly and generally wasn't very good. New ones might be better though.

Oh final thought I think the black edition gopro has better low light than the silvers and whites. i think the silvers and whites are basically a tarted up hero 2 but I might be wrong?!
zacow 27 Dec 2013
In reply to Ally Smith:

Just bought my lad a SJ1000 camera. Regarded as the best camera for under a $100. Cost me £58. A good comparison with Gopro on YouTube.
 aalper 27 Dec 2013
In reply to Ally Smith:

I am also between a go pro silver and a polaroid xs100. There are some videos comparing go pro with xs100 on youtube, and xs100 looks better and it's only £100. Anybody any experience with xs100?
 Mick Dewsbury 28 Dec 2013
In reply to Ally Smith:

Do a search for GoPro - there seem to be problems with the 3. After much research (actual user stuff is just coming online for the 'S') I went with the DriftInnovations Ghost S for the versatility as well as the quality, as it'll be used for motorcycling, climbing and kayaking.
 xplorer 28 Dec 2013
In reply to Mick Dewsbury:

I haven't had any problems at all with the hero3 if I am honest.

What problems are you talking about?
In reply to xplorer:

There were problems with the 3 when it first came out. It was very much a "beta" version. The first couple I got were defective, but BestBuy in the US replaced these immediately (we're talking a year ago.)
 xplorer 28 Dec 2013
In reply to John Stainforth:

I haven't had any problems, so they must have sorted them out.

There used by a lot of professionals and professional filming companies so gopro must be doing something rite.

I am seriously more than happy with my hero3.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...