UKC

Wanting to climb Mera and Island Peak late next year.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Speylock52 28 Nov 2013
Hi everyone, I'm relatively new to climbing and would love to climb Mera and possibly Island Peak next winter to gain experience.

However, after looking at the cost at a number of agencies who provide expeditions, the cost appears quite high. I would love to possibly slash the cost of this if it is possible to do so.

I am aware that it is possible to hire guides independently, but I was wondering how difficult this would be to organise on my accord? For those that have done it, what tips could you provide?
 Burty21 29 Nov 2013
In reply to Speylock52:

Hey!

Climbed Mera earlier in the year and it was a good exped for sure. We used a Nepali friends company (Basanta Trekking Adventures) and got fantastic value. This was all because he runs an in country company. I think we paid £1200pp for the entire trek, and that was for just 4 of us. I have used Basant twice now and both teams he provided and logistics were spot on. Like many markets I'm sure there are rogue traders so select carefully.

Regarding the trek though, Mera is simply a walk at altitude. It is tough and hosts remarkable views, but isn't necessarily 'climbing' .

If you click on my profile you may be able to find a blog I wrote about our trip.

Enjoy whatever you get up to!

Matt
Speylock52 01 Dec 2013
Thanks for the reply Matt. I'll give it a look.

I'm aware Mera is just a walk but my experience is very limited currently and it would give me a good taste of the Himalayas.
James Jackson 01 Dec 2013
In reply to Burty21:

> Regarding the trek though, Mera is simply a walk at altitude. It is tough and hosts remarkable views, but isn't necessarily 'climbing' .

That's like saying playing a 'cello is simply pulling some horse hair across a string. It may be technically easy, but there's still the objective dangers that go with Alpinism.

I think being so dismissive about a mountain, especially to a relative novice, is dangerous.

OP: It's very doable - look, as has been suggested, for local companies in Kathmandu. We did Island and Mera (a good few years back) for about £1500 - £2000 a head, the majority self-organised (bar booking Sherpas / Sirdar).

I can recommend these guys: http://www.yalaadventure.com/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...