UKC

Best UK Climbing Spots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
LizBail 28 Nov 2013
Hi all, I'm wondering what climbing spots you recommend in general. Best and worst locations - I'm an Architecture student designing a climbers retreat and currently searching for some abandoned sites close to some great climbing spots. Hope you can help! Thanks
 JLS 28 Nov 2013
In reply to LizBail:

You should look at developing the old abandoned C.I.C. hut which is below the Northface of Ben Nevis. Any design should in corporate a sun terrace and hot tub.
 Jonny2vests 28 Nov 2013
In reply to LizBail:

That's a pretty broad question. You need some criteria to narrow it down.
 Jack B 28 Nov 2013
In reply to LizBail:

All around Scotland are empty shepherd's cottages. These often have a very similar construction and internal layout, with wood internals, a slate roof etc. Many were abandoned about 50 years ago, as land rovers became a common sight. Some of these have been done up/maintained by the MBA as bothies, others by various mountaineering clubs as mountain huts. There are a fair few more scattered about which are falling into ruin.

You could probably find one of these to do your study on, or even do it on a generic one.

Examples of ones which are done up:
Lagangarbh
Ling hut

I could find you the grid refs of some ruined ones, but I'm in a rush just now. Let me know if that would be useful.

another place to look might be Derry lodge, near Braemar. It's an abandoned lodge house that's falling into ruin.
 csw 28 Nov 2013
In reply to JLS:

What about renovating the observatory as well - and maybe putting in a cable car?
 Fraser 28 Nov 2013
In reply to LizBail:

Wish I'd been given projects like that when I studied architecture! Does the site have to be in the UK? If not I could give you a fantastic one over looking the Med.
LizBail 28 Nov 2013
In reply to JLS: Haha, Ok I'll be sure to input that into the design! Thanks for the reply!

LizBail 28 Nov 2013
In reply to Jack B:

Thanks so much for all your input. I'm looking into Derry Lodge, at the minute, its looking around the right size etc that I was looking for. Just searching the net for more floor plans etc. The grid Refs would be a great help too! The more options the better. Thanks again
 Jon Stewart 28 Nov 2013
 Jack B 29 Nov 2013
In reply to LizBail:

Glad that was useful. Derry lodge is a lot bigger than the other places I can think of, but I'll try and dig out a few grid refs. That might be early next week, as I'm away to the hills in a few hours - staying in one of the aforementioned club huts, as it happens.

For floor plans, I doubt you'll find much on the net, but I suspect the internal walls and floors are in such a poor state they'd want stripping out anyway.
 Jonny2vests 29 Nov 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:
Yes, but think how muck more amazinger Horseshite would be with a climber's retreat. That's basically all it's missing. I might even move back and live in it.

Always thinking me, always thinking.
Post edited at 18:25
 Jack B 03 Dec 2013
In reply to LizBail:

> The grid Refs would be a great help too!

Well as promised, I've had a look now I'm back from the hills. Unfortunately, my memory's failed me a bit, and I can only find one such place. There are a great many in the highlands though.

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=57.763806,-5.130529&spn=0.035711,0.09922&...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...