UKC

Is Petrohead better than Font?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 frenchben 29 Nov 2013
Has anyone heard of Petrohead in the Czech Republic? This looks pretty great and quite like Font...
youtube.com/watch?v=0gFE_B1lp_U&
 AlanLittle 29 Nov 2013
In reply to frenchben:

Heard of it, yes. Have a Czech friend who goes there regularly and rates it highly. Have seen video on Udo Neumann's website of a barely teenage Adam Ondra winning an adult comp there.

iirc it's granite, so unlikely to be much like font. But from pictures it loks like pretty weathered rounded granite rather than the blocky, sharp-edged stuff one gets in alpine granite bouldering areas.
 Jack Geldard 29 Nov 2013
In reply to frenchben:

Hi Frenchben,

Here is the UKClimbing destination article to Petrohrad:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=2666

In answer to your question, no it isn't better than Font. It is good though.

Much smaller than Font. You won't see many other climbers there though!

Cheers,

Jack
OP frenchben 29 Nov 2013
In reply to AlanLittle:

Cheers Alan. I meant like Font as a nice setting in a forest with many boulders, but you're right, the granite looks much smoother than places like Ticino! Hope to be going there one day.
OP frenchben 29 Nov 2013
In reply to Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor:

Thanks Jack for the reference. A quieter place sounds good to me!
 madam 29 Nov 2013
In reply to frenchben:

Hi frenchben,

some other information which is not mentioned here by others:
1. Petrohrad is easy to access by public transport. 1h 15min from Prague, then some 30 minutes easy walk to the forest.
2. new 2013 guide is out.
3. really quiet place...especially not on weekends
4. the shapes might seem to be smooth however the rock itself is not. A lot of small, crimpy holds with granite crystals involved The longest I spent there were 3 days afterwhich my fingers were like a strainer

Once you wanna go I will be happy to give you some other info, maybe to point out some nice sectors...

adam

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...