UKC

Climbing with children

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 VPJB 29 Nov 2013
Could anyone recommend crags in Wales that are safe for children to be at, as in no loose rock or drops to fall off?

Also any sports locations abroad in Europe?

I have a 3 year old that has a full harness and a 15 month that is walking (but not climbing)
In reply to VPJB:

Are you wanting to take them climbing or climb yourself while they're there?

Little Tryfan comes to mind as being somewhere a child would really struggle to hurt themselves.

jcm
OP VPJB 29 Nov 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: Both really, somewhere safe they can play with supervision while we climb and maybe getting my 3 yo on the rope.

The Ivanator 29 Nov 2013
In reply to VPJB:

Craig Pant Ifan Upper Tier at Tremadog would fit the bill. Expansive flat grassy base, solid dolerite rock, routes all single pitch, mostly in the S - VS bracket, plentiful belay options on top (simple to rig top ropes) scrambly walk off to base of crag. Good views too. Can get busy with groups.
In reply to The Ivanator:

I was going to suggest that, but then I thought perhaps they could wander off and fall over the main cliff.

In my experience the short answer to the OP’s dilemma is that no such place exists and that you should either think in terms of taking your child out climbing, or dump the child on a childminder/other parent/lock them in the cupboard under the stairs, or whatever and go off and climb yourself.

jcm
 The Ivanator 29 Nov 2013
In reply to VPJB:

Notice from your profile that you are South Wales based. 3 Cliffs bay on the Gower might be another good option - pretty solid (for Limestone) huge flat sands at the base when the tide is out, lots of low grade routes, pleasant easy walk in, beautiful bay. You do need to have a look at the tide tables and time your visit though.
 The Ivanator 29 Nov 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

They would have to wander off quite a way and battle through brambles before they stood a chance of falling off the main cliff.
 Trangia 29 Nov 2013
In reply to VPJB:

Dancing Ledges at Swanage, the lower ledge.

Ideal for children on a calm day* and easy to set up bottom ropes. I introduced my kids to the sport there.

* beware however if it's rough and the sea is breaking over the ledge as sadly there have been drownings here, but only in a high running sea.

I know it's not Wales. but you did also say Europe!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...